Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which lift kit should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default which lift kit should I buy?

So I want to put a 3 inch lift on my 1990 cherokee but I'm not sure which one to buy. I want to get a rough country lift but they have a few different kit options. The most basic one is just shocks springs and an add-a-leaf but they have another one that also includes new lower control arms and a sway bar lowering kit (for like $100 more). Any advice from those of you who have done this before? Am I going to regret not buying one with new control arms?
Old 10-26-2015, 12:36 PM

I would go with a new leaf spring pack. Add a leaf relies on the strength of the current leafs which being a 90 and assuming there original would be 25 years old!
Old 10-26-2015, 12:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Lot's of reviews on this forum and others for just about evry kit ever made.

Do a search for threads that the brands you're considering in the thread title. Grab a cup of coffee and settle in for some screen-time.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:57 PM
CF Veteran

Keep in mind that you can start with a basic kit and add more parts as you're budget allows.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE
Engine: 4.0

Sway bar lowering kit?
Old 10-26-2015, 01:16 PM
CF Veteran

Yep.
They allow the use of the OEM Sway bar end links.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE

Wouldn't it be easier to get extended end links, or discos?
Old 10-26-2015, 01:34 PM

Year: 2001

For what its worth, I just installed the Rough Country kit on mine yesterday. Took me a good day due to the old bolts breaking/seizing. Very good kit and well built. Drives better than it did before and has lifetime warranty on the hard parts. Great customer service as well when ordering direct. Nothing but good things to say about it. I used to work for a Chrysler dealer and install lift kits. I have used kits from Fabtech, Skyjacker, ProComp, OME and Rough Country. For the price its unbeatable. OME was my favorite ride quality.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:30 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jay_sco
Wouldn't it be easier to get extended end links, or discos?
Cost vs. Ease
It's a constant battle.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:43 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by BGQJ34
For what its worth, I just installed the Rough Country kit on mine yesterday. Took me a good day due to the old bolts breaking/seizing. Very good kit and well built. Drives better than it did before and has lifetime warranty on the hard parts. Great customer service as well when ordering direct. Nothing but good things to say about it. I used to work for a Chrysler dealer and install lift kits. I have used kits from Fabtech, Skyjacker, ProComp, OME and Rough Country. For the price its unbeatable. OME was my favorite ride quality.
Do you work for RC or something?

My experience, first hand. RC sucks. Bought some adjustable control arms from them. Parts straight out of the box were bad, threads were honked up. Called their "customer service", got the run around. Finally got them to send new parts. Guess what? SAME ISSUE, STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX. Called again. They blamed me for "improper install"...I hadn't even put a wrench to anything...just a dry fit to make sure everything went together smoothly, off the car. They told me to pound sand. So, I went and got a tap and die to cut the threads properly myself. Got it resolved. 2 months after I installed, the flex joints went bad. Contacted them again, they made me pay for new joints. I replaced them 3 times in a year, my cost. Never again will they get one penny from me. Their parts are low cost, but they totally suck as far as quality and customer service goes.

Buyer beware. You get what you pay for.

Buy quality. Cry once.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:59 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Originally Posted by roninofako

Buy quality. Cry once.
^^^^^ yep..here is a vid to watch
The Rough Country Experience

Old 10-26-2015, 05:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

I had that same cheap hit, it did ride better than my worn stock crap, but it was way to soft when I was trying to haul through the desert. aslo sagged to about 2'' in a year. Id piece a kit together if I were you,
Old 10-26-2015, 06:58 PM

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by roninofako
Do you work for RC or something?

My experience, first hand. RC sucks. Bought some adjustable control arms from them. Parts straight out of the box were bad, threads were honked up. Called their "customer service", got the run around. Finally got them to send new parts. Guess what? SAME ISSUE, STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX. Called again. They blamed me for "improper install"...I hadn't even put a wrench to anything...just a dry fit to make sure everything went together smoothly, off the car. They told me to pound sand. So, I went and got a tap and die to cut the threads properly myself. Got it resolved. 2 months after I installed, the flex joints went bad. Contacted them again, they made me pay for new joints. I replaced them 3 times in a year, my cost. Never again will they get one penny from me. Their parts are low cost, but they totally suck as far as quality and customer service goes.

Buy quality. Cry once.
I do not work for them. To each their own. My dealings with them were nothing but professional and pleasant. I would recommend them if asked again. I guess I caught them on a off day....
Old 10-26-2015, 07:40 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by BGQJ34
I do not work for them. To each their own. My dealings with them were nothing but professional and pleasant. I would recommend them if asked again. I guess I caught them on a off day....
Maybe you should wait longer than one day before you make a judgement call.

Glad your deal with them went well so far, you may be one of the lucky few. I just can't sit back and let people think that they're a good company, though...they just aren't, and mine is not the only story like this. Best of luck to you.

FWIW, I have bought a ton of stuff from Frank at Serious Offroad. He has my business when I purchase, if his site offers it. Nothing but quality components, at a reasonable price, with the best customer service of ANYONE, hands down. Great guy who stands behind what he sells.

Last edited by Rogue4x4; 10-26-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:07 PM
CF Veteran

Now I'll never get a hat to fit.......

Quick Reply: which lift kit should I buy?