Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift and driveline questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 10:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Lift and driveline questions

Ok, I'm new to the world of Jeeps and have owned my XJ for a little over a month (check link in sig) I bought it already lifted but it's pretty crappy. There's at least 3" of pucks in front and blocks in back and the rear leafs are sagging. I'm going to be replacing the lift on here with the IRO 5.5" short arm kit. I'm running a NP231 TC with a TC drop and no sye. I'm going to order the IRO HD sye when I order my lift. With that and the JKS disco's I'm just a hair over my $1300 budget for my lift. Now I'm guessing with the SYE the front driveshaft should be longer (am I right here)? And I don't have the extra $280 for a custom Tom Woods DS (well I do but would rather not spend it )

So lets hear it? How long should the driveshaft be? What driveshafts from the local jy would work for this application?

Thanks for the help in advanced
Old 03-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

Originally Posted by mikefrost
Ok, I'm new to the world of Jeeps and have owned my XJ for a little over a month (check link in sig) I bought it already lifted but it's pretty crappy. There's at least 3" of pucks in front and blocks in back and the rear leafs are sagging. I'm going to be replacing the lift on here with the IRO 5.5" short arm kit. I'm running a NP231 TC with a TC drop and no sye. I'm going to order the IRO HD sye when I order my lift. With that and the JKS disco's I'm just a hair over my $1300 budget for my lift. Now I'm guessing with the SYE the front driveshaft should be longer (am I right here)? And I don't have the extra $280 for a custom Tom Woods DS (well I do but would rather not spend it )

So lets hear it? How long should the driveshaft be? What driveshafts from the local jy would work for this application?

Thanks for the help in advanced
Should be a front drive shaft off a TJ
I ordered this quality and refurb job is top notch.
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=XDT
Old 03-10-2012, 12:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Originally Posted by BrofessorXJ

Should be a front drive shaft off a TJ
I ordered this quality and refurb job is top notch.
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=XDT
He speaks from experience. And to answer your question, no you don't need a longer front driveshaft. But you do need to replace the rear driveshaft when you put in an SYE. And as far as length, it's hard to say exactly. Each rig is different. So generally with SYE's you're gunna have to go take measurements for yourself (there's instructions on how to do that on just about every website that offers an SYE)