Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Led bulb conversion problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Led bulb conversion problems

Hi everyone, I'm new to this thread and this is my first post. I've got a technical problem that has had me stumped all day.

I just recently swapped all of the exterior bulbs on my 2001 cherokee with led replacements. I also replaced the flasher unit with an electronic one. Shortly after doing this the left front side marker stopped working, I'm positive it isn't the bulb or the socket.
When I turn on the hazards the rear brake lights and license plate light also flash at the same rate. When I use the left turn signal the gauges and brake lights also flash and the right front turn signal dimly flashes. Using the left turn signal with the headlights on causes the turn signal to stay lit.

I've gone through almost all of the wiring for the lights on the front and have yet to find a bad ground. All of the wiring seems to be correct, I'm confused as to why I've got this problem after switching to leds.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-25-2012, 04:34 PM

Im having a similar problem. Went with the exterior LED conversion and my lights are all haywire. I went with rear trailer style LED lights for the JCR Tail Light Boxes and regular LED bulbs up front. I changed my relay to an electronic one. Have you figured this out yet?
Old 09-25-2012, 05:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

http://www.superbrightleds.com/pdfs/...istor_info.pdf

Maybe that'll solve it?
Old 09-26-2012, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ

Theres gotta be a way to do this project with out load resistors. I did install the LED (electronic) flasher.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

Sounds like either that flasher you put in is bad, or you might have a short/bad wire in the turn signal switch or elsewhere in the column. Just don't see how LEDs would cause all those oddities.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by DieselD
Sounds like either that flasher you put in is bad, or you might have a short/bad wire in the turn signal switch or elsewhere in the column. Just don't see how LEDs would cause all those oddities.
The strange thing is, everything worked normal when I had my stock bulbs in....
Old 09-27-2012, 12:15 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

you shouldnt need resistors i didnt all i could suggest is try putting the stock bulbs in one by one and checking operation between installs, like, left rear check op than right rear, check op when it gets to the point where they work leave that stock bulb in and throw the leds back in and see if they work(or any combo of the above) that way maybe you can at least narrow it down to what side or front /rear the prob is

just realised the post is old so ice man i dont know if this will work for you since you changed entire assemblys
Old 09-27-2012, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by kennzz05
you shouldnt need resistors i didnt all i could suggest is try putting the stock bulbs in one by one and checking operation between installs, like, left rear check op than right rear, check op when it gets to the point where they work leave that stock bulb in and throw the leds back in and see if they work(or any combo of the above) that way maybe you can at least narrow it down to what side or front /rear the prob is

just realised the post is old so ice man i dont know if this will work for you since you changed entire assemblys

Thats what I figured also. I just assume not use resistors because it sort of defeats the purpose of running low amperage (energy consumption) LEDs. I guess youre right, my only option is to start over and do one at a time until I get a problem. The issue is, then what? If I start having issues, I dont think I would know what to do from there. I know fast flash means low amperage (however that should have been solved by the electronic relay), steady on means too much draw (again, new electronic relay), but stuff like the brake lights not working, the fog and third brake light flashing with the hazard switch on, etc. I am just not the best with electrical.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

It could be possible that the flashed relay or whatever went bad and then shorted something in the turn signal switch?
Old 09-28-2012, 04:29 PM

I've got a new no load flasher and I'm fairly certain it works. I ended up cutting the green wires to the front drivers side turn signal and everything almost works normally now. Still doesn't work perfectly.

I think it might have something to do with the way in which xjs are wired. Where I was having a problem was the side marker, which is wired in series with one of the bulbs in the front turn signal. LED bulbs are polarity sensitive, might explain why I was getting a double negative the first time. This website explains it pretty well and also mentions some jeep vehicles.
http://v-ledsblog.com/2010/11/11/polarity-and-v-leds/

Also I attached a wiring diagram for xjs. I'm thinking of rewiring mine so all the bulbs are connected to ground.
Attached Thumbnails Led bulb conversion problems-photo-1.jpg   Led bulb conversion problems-photo-2.jpg  
Old 02-05-2017, 08:42 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0l

I'm struggling with sorta similar gremlins. I did LED instruments and Exterior bulbs, new LED signal relay. My issues are...Headlights off, hit brake pedal, instruments light up. Headlights on, my turn signals on the dash are on. I pulled the trailer harness adapter already. I bought a new headlight switch, haven't done it yet, cant dim, but understand dim and LED's dont always mix. Thoughts?
Old 08-22-2017, 02:24 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Hi, I did the same mod to my XJ and having the same issue. Did you ever find a fix for it? thanks

Last edited by lightmodxj; 08-22-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:23 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 6 cyl 4.0 HO

Sorry, I guess I need this dumbed down for me...

just bought 1st xj - 95 w/ Country package (LOVE IT!!!)

i had a burnt out brake light, saw the LED bulbs in parts store, matched the part numbers and got the LED bulbs plug & play no problem.

I thought "cool, I'll just replace them all with the LED". When I get a new toy, for some reason my pockets get very heavy...

Replaced reverse and stop are fine but the turn signal ones make them flash very fast... (OEM bulbs worked fine)

Are the turn signals just not "plug & play"? Do I need and additional part or different flasher relay???

I'm OK with mech stuff but zero knowledge with auto electric.

Thanks in advance for the education!

tr
Old 10-01-2017, 03:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by ToddR
Replaced reverse and stop are fine but the turn signal ones make them flash very fast... (OEM bulbs worked fine)
Replace the flasher with an EP27 electronic flasher. The "hyperflash" is to let you know that one of your turn signal bulbs has burned out, but the LED's have such low power draw that it can't detect them compared to an incandescent bulb.

Amazon Amazon

For the other issues, check to see if you have a trailer hitch module and see if unplugging it fixes the strange issues, mine was feeding back into the turn signal circuit so the brake lights were sending "phantom" voltage into the turn signals (they were illuminating slightly). One way diodes would fix that.

Also check your lighting grounds because those can cause really strange issues as well
Old 10-01-2017, 02:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

You mite want to try some LED lights that aren't Polarity Sensitive . The 194 bulbs can make you have some problems but if you use non polarized bulbs it could fix your problems .

Quick Reply: Led bulb conversion problems