Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leafspring sliders vs. the shackle.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 09:54 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L HO
Default leafspring sliders vs. the shackle.

Alright gents im looking to lift and get the best ride/ most flex. As we all know haveing an xj with a shakle it binds under flex and becomes a pita.
So who has had any success with this
http://www.liquidironindustries.com/...roductid=18222
The only thing i know about it is listed on the site. Im looking for feed back about the slider.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L I6

You do that or shackle relocation bracket. I opted for the RC shackle relocation with a extended shackle. This way I can run a thinner leaf pack (6 leaf bastard pack) for lift and have a great ride with amazing rear flex. Flex as well as my front longarm does

Name:  DSCN0503AVI_snapshot_0113_20120422_161030.jpg
Views: 3781
Size:  145.3 KB

Last edited by Boost Happy; 07-20-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I have those sliders. They are pretty sturdy, as they go on with 5 bolts per side. 4 hitch holes and one bolt where the shackle used to go. I landed one on a rock and not even a dent.

They also flex pretty nicely. This is with a Rubicon Express 3.5" and 35s on JK 17" Moabs.

I have had them on for a few months so far and no weird noises or wear from the sliding parts.

These are some pictures I have of them when I got them and put them on:

When I had 33s:

I did have to trim the rear bumper to make them fit.

Last edited by AeroSynch; 07-20-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

You can also build lift into the slider box to run thinner leaf packs.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

I bought the LII relocation brackets. the leaf sliders caught my eye but I hadnt seen them in use before so I went with the tried and true strong as hell design by LII. but after seeing those leaf sliders they look way more predictable and sturdy than shackle relocation.

I also asked LII what they thought of the RC brackets just for kicks. I wish I still had the email but it went something like "we feel that... blah blah design that doesnt mount strongly enough" or something like that.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by AeroSynch
I have those sliders. They are pretty sturdy, as they go on with 5 bolts per side. 4 hitch holes and one bolt where the shackle used to go. I landed one on a rock and not even a dent.

They also flex pretty nicely. This is with a Rubicon Express 3.5" and 35s on JK 17" Moabs.

I have had them on for a few months so far and no weird noises or wear from the sliding parts.

These are some pictures I have of them when I got them and put them on:

When I had 33s:

I did have to trim the rear bumper to make them fit.
Very nice. Is there a very day and night difference? And i do think takeing a bump even with a normal 6.5in iro leaf pack would be much more milder.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Atmos
I bought the LII relocation brackets. the leaf sliders caught my eye but I hadnt seen them in use before so I went with the tried and true strong as hell design by LII. but after seeing those leaf sliders they look way more predictable and sturdy than shackle relocation.

I also asked LII what they thought of the RC brackets just for kicks. I wish I still had the email but it went something like "an inferior design that doesnt mount strongly enough"
That is awesome to hear lol.
The design also looks like it dosent put such an extreme stress right on the eye of the leaf causeing extreme sagging early.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:35 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by UsmclovesXJ
Very nice. Is there a very day and night difference? And i do think takeing a bump even with a normal 6.5in iro leaf pack would be much more milder.
My shackle angle used to be at 90 degrees with the stock shackle so it was rough. It does feel smoother with the sliders because it is a natural movement going back.

However, it also depends on your leaf packs. I find RE ones to be stiffer than others, even with 6 leafs. For a few weeks I took out 2 leafs so the pack had 4, and it was smooth as butter, smoother than my front RE coils.

I ended putting back the 2 leafs to return to a 6 pack because it started to sag after hooking up a trailer.

In short, yes there is a difference, and taking a bump is milder, even with stiff leaf packs.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

yeah I wouldve done the sliders if they didnt cost 2x more. got my brackets for $100
Old 07-20-2012, 10:39 PM

My shackle angle used to be at 90 degrees with the stock shackle so it was rough. It does feel smoother with the sliders because it is a natural movement going back.

However, it also depends on your leaf packs. I find RE ones to be stiffer than others, even with 6 leafs. For a few weeks I took out 2 leafs so the pack had 4, and it was smooth as butter, smoother than my front RE coils.

I ended putting back the 2 leafs to return to a 6 pack because it started to sag after hooking up a trailer.

In short, yes there is a difference, and taking a bump is milder, even with stiff leaf packs.
Good to know. I do suppose that this also allows the rear to be a lot more flexy then a stock set up. I know it wont be anywhere near 4 link tho.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Atmos
yeah I wouldve done the sliders if they didnt cost 2x more. got my brackets for $100
Lol true they are pricey.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:44 PM
CF Veteran

I like them because they are different. A lot of people are like wait, what the hell is that?

Yea they will flex more than a shackle at a bad angle. I need longer shocks because the rear shocks limit my down travel now.

I keep looking for pictures of them:

Old 07-20-2012, 10:49 PM

I like them because they are different. A lot of people are like wait, what the hell is that?

Yea they will flex more than a shackle at a bad angle. I need longer shocks because the rear shocks limit my down travel now.

I keep looking for pictures of them:
Lol i showed my buddy the website of them and he couldnt figure out whst the pic. Was.
And is that because your lift exceeds the shock recommendations or because of the extra flex?
Old 07-20-2012, 11:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It says it ties into where the hitch does. I have a uhaul hitch on mine would these interfere with hitch?
Old 07-20-2012, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by jeepbby123
It says it ties into where the hitch does. I have a uhaul hitch on mine would these interfere with hitch?
I belive so because you would have to use the nut strip. But like anything i believe it will work like this. Frame. Hitch. Slider. Im not sure.

Quick Reply: leafspring sliders vs. the shackle.