Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leaf spring question for my specific setup and problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default leaf spring question for my specific setup and problem

The current setup on my 93 xj 4 door is about 5.5" total lift with an unknown bastard pack that was on it when I bought it and some Chevy drop shackles that gave about 2" lift and a horrible shackle angle so I'm looking for some longer leafs springs that will correct my shackle angle, will flex better, won't lower it, won't raise it much if at all, and won't move my axle forward or backwards much if at all.

ive Google searched for a couple weeks and because of my limited knowledge and understanding I haven't found my perfect junkyard candidate and I'm hoping you guys will have some recommendations on leaf springs that are longer and will fit my needs.

You can see how horrible the shackle angle is and I think 2-4" longer leafs spring will correct this and give more flex than just relocating the top of the shackle forward.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:41 PM

Just to brag I have 4.56 gears ready to install in the hp30 and 8.25, an Aussie locker up front, limited slip in back, and some 35/12.50 Patagonia mts sitting on my porch waiting for my wheels to get here.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 288 Likes on 245 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: Peddles

I think I'd do one thing at a time.
correct shackle ang with shackle box that has multiple mounting possibilities.
adjust height up or down by adding removing leafs.

offroaddesign zero rate adaleafs work well when it comes to fine tuning that last inch or so and can also be used to move axle forwards or back.
you can also make your own tuning leafs if your creative

make your own decisions through tunning and trial and error. That is what building a rig is all about. If not maybe buy one already set up that someone's put the time and effort into building
Old 09-03-2018, 11:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

If you are looking for a main leaf that is longer on the back side, I don't think you will find it. As far as shackle angle goes, that is not a bad angle. It is what is within what the whole leaf system for an XJ was designed for. Increasing shackle angle is popular with people that have stiff rear springs because it makes the main leaf bend in a way it was not designed for. Hard on bushings too. If you are stuck on shackle angle, then there are kits out there for that. Some have zero lift, others about 1.5". You can adjust spring rates to soften the ride if that is what you are after. You already have a bastard pack anyway
Old 09-03-2018, 02:56 PM

The shackle being verticle is not correct and neither is the fact that it makes the leaf flat.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:30 PM
CF Veteran

Suit yourself on that. You are talking to a guy with extensive leaf spring design experience
Old 09-03-2018, 11:31 PM

Can you explain why the leaf spring being flat is a good thing and why almost every leaf spring ever made has been arched?
Old 09-04-2018, 03:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 Renix

FWIW your spring pack looks stock. You should get some pictures of what else is going on. I'm curious how much lift you actually have and how you measured it.

Oh, and everything you think you know about leaf springs, and probably read on various Jeep forums or Facebook groups, is wrong.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:12 AM

To find the amount of lift I measured from the top of the axle tube to the "frame" and compared it to the stock measurement and found that I had 3.5" before I added the shackles and 5.5" after. Before adding the lift shackle my springs had some arch now it's flat, before my shackle was at approximately 45° now it's approximately 90°. I'm honestly not sure if you guys are some club xj trolls or not because a vertical shackle and flat springs are not good.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:22 AM
CF Veteran

The XJ rear spring from the factory only has 4" of free arch. Put some weight on it and it flattens out. It is designed to be at an angle with the rear of the spring higher, hence that end is longer. With the geometry figured in, the spring flexes equally at that angle. Adding an extended shackle pushes the rear of the spring downward, hence making it flex in a different geometry. Extended shackles have done that for years, with the softer OEM springs on every make of American car reacting that way. That upward angle is there to make it ride smoother. I agree, it looks stock. It also looks like that shackle is really pushing on that main leaf and it is flexing enough past the #2 leaf to be a problem at some point. But to measure lift, measure the distance from the center of the hub to the flare and subtract 17". If you have trimmed fender wells measure to the ridge in the body and subtract 22"
Old 09-04-2018, 02:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

I run my leaf springs flat . my idea is it will flex the same up as down maybe I am wrong but it rides great and flexes like crazy . I get my lift from shackle relocation boxes and longer shackles also added a chevy leaf to each to support all my extra weight of exo cage and tons of tools and such
Old 09-04-2018, 05:18 PM

Around here it's all slow speed stuff so I'm not worried about much up travel but droop is very important.