Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LA

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4L Renix
Default LA

been looking arund for a link or post on hoow to build my own long or mid arms. figured i would cut and reuse my new factory control arms. yes big after thought . but some square tube steel and some nice clean tig welds and i would be set for a bit till they wear out.

i get the general idea of how to make them looking at pics but some dimensions would be handy and i also have drop brackets for my control arms as well.

going to do the shock mount mod on the axle . but making some LA's or MA's would be a fun project. do a track bar relocation too. saw one for that. good write up on it . same for the shock mount. sorry for the ramble.

my truck is fitted with a 3inch rough country lift. so full coils on font , bastard pack and shackle in the rear with some good shocks. 89 xj 5speed
Old 10-30-2011, 05:30 PM

i found some threads . dose it realy matter how long they are? i am guessing too long can hinder clearance . too short and there was no point to it.

any good sites for buying the brackets? i saw some for 500 bucks. i am guessing thats a bit high.

any pointers or help appreciated. i am new and am still trying to learn the ke word lingo for more fruitful searches.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

I would go long arms over mid arms. If your gonna go with longer arms why not go all the way, right? I'm not sure on length but they usually tie into your trans crossmember. You will have to make your own new xmember or buy one somewhere. Just measure how long it is from your axle mounts to your xmember and you should have a rough idea on how long your arms should be
Old 10-30-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by krawlthis
I would go long arms over mid arms. If your gonna go with longer arms why not go all the way, right? I'm not sure on length but they usually tie into your trans crossmember. You will have to make your own new xmember or buy one somewhere. Just measure how long it is from your axle mounts to your xmember and you should have a rough idea on how long your arms should be

i was thinking the same thing. if and when i go bigger it will be one less tign to do. so i hear ya

should i tie my upper CA into my long arm ? i also have drop brakets for my stock lower control arms. i figured i would weld these to my cross member. make the lower arm strong and tie the uper into it and be good to go. also i could re angle my front axle a few degrees. i am currently readig a few treads on that.

idea is to make some thing like this: http://socaloffroad.net/images/LA-upgrade_kit.jpg
Old 10-30-2011, 06:46 PM

Ya you are going to want to tie the uppers into the la otherwise the longer arms are pointless cus the uppers will be in the same place restricting your flex. I'm not quit sure what you mean on the lower mounts... including them into your xmember? I wouldn't do that unless you wanna hang up on every rock. Them hanging down that low will just be an anchor. The best ones I have seen come straight off the front of the xmemeber and hang down only an inch or so
Old 10-30-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by krawlthis
Ya you are going to want to tie the uppers into the la otherwise the longer arms are pointless cus the uppers will be in the same place restricting your flex. I'm not quit sure what you mean on the lower mounts... including them into your xmember? I wouldn't do that unless you wanna hang up on every rock. Them hanging down that low will just be an anchor. The best ones I have seen come straight off the front of the xmemeber and hang down only an inch or so

thats a good point. i will look at more set ups. if any thing i can box these drop brackets into the cross member and keep them up high. i will have a look at the cross member to better know how to place them and the arm.

also would it be sin to weld to the inside of the uni body frame rail on these jeeps? that would get the arms up pretty high and i could hole saw the rail for the end of the bolt to pass thru on the mount bracket.

i see some kits delete the upper mount on the side of the axle with the diff . any one know if this just make the other mount fatigue and fail ?
Old 10-30-2011, 07:26 PM

It would definitely not he a sin to weld the frame rails up. Its a very good idea to reinforce anything and everything you can. If you thing at some point you might come close to stressing any part... build it bigger and stronger. If your plan is to wheel 33's build it to stand up to 36's.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:28 PM

Also the kit that "deletes" the other mount is a 3 link kit which is more Fab involved but flexes better than long arms
Old 10-30-2011, 07:33 PM

Engine: 4.0

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...ode=sus_xj_kit
Old 10-30-2011, 10:03 PM

thats the style of kit i been looking at. i am pretty confident i can build that rather well. all tho i m going to have fixed angles on my LA's i saw another brand with out the adjusters. so that the plan any how.

you have any takes on it ?