Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just pick up an ARB bumper for $500

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Just pick up an ARB bumper for $500

Just worked out a deal for an arb bumper for my 01cherokee
From the pics he sent me it is missing a front directional, I was wondering if anyone has replaced them with fog lights?

it looks like the 00-01 bumpers come back to the Factory fender openings I know I'll rub so I'll have to trim the bumper accordingly has anyone done this?
Old 02-19-2015, 10:23 PM

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by zone zero
Just worked out a deal for an arb bumper for my 01cherokee
From the pics he sent me it is missing a front directional, I was wondering if anyone has replaced them with fog lights?

it looks like the 00-01 bumpers come back to the Factory fender openings I know I'll rub so I'll have to trim the bumper accordingly has anyone done this?
I have seen somebody replace them with fog lights, ill see if I can find a pic. I have the same bumper for a 99 and I have the directional lights but haven't been able to wire them yet. I read that once they have been wired it dims all the other lights and you need to find a different bulb to replace it that uses less power. I also thought I would have to trim the bumper too but after putting it on and driving a bit everything turned out fine. However I am considering trimming it just to improve looks because I have no fender flares.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:29 PM

I found a thread for replacing the directional lights with fog lamps. here's the link:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/fo...ll-bar-105314/
Old 02-19-2015, 10:50 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.
I think the issue with the dimming of the lights can be solved with an inline resistor, but I'm not sure if that's only with LED lights.

The other question I had with this bumper is it looks like you can only run a roler fairlead so how can you run synthetic winch line? I have read that it's ok to do but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with that set up.

I also have the factory front skid plate and I'm hoping that will still work
Old 02-20-2015, 09:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply.
I think the issue with the dimming of the lights can be solved with an inline resistor, but I'm not sure if that's only with LED lights.

The other question I had with this bumper is it looks like you can only run a roler fairlead so how can you run synthetic winch line? I have read that it's ok to do but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with that set up.

I also have the factory front skid plate and I'm hoping that will still work

As far as the Synthetic rope they make a fairhead just for it and I would guess that any would bolt to the original opening or from the factory a replacement. Don't know where you wheel at but I started with the synthetic rope and had to replace it after 3 outings because of scrapes, cuts and abrasions to it. All were caused by smaller rocks/dirt rubbing on it, against a tree while winching up hill and the XJ slid to the side a little went back to wire rope.

I do not have your bumper but with my winch bumper my factory skid would fit any longer had to have a custom made one.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Yea, Just get a hawse fairlead. They are cheap/lighter and better for synthetic line anyways. Like Frank said, your choice of synthetic vs steel should be based on what you are going to use it for. I personally will never go back to steel but I have never had a need to pull it through the dirt in all the years I have been winching. Synthetic wont handle abrasion like steel. In almost every other aspect, it is the way to go.

If you have to use a roller (hawse bolts using same holes) They do make (DayStar) synthetic rollers to put on a roller fairlead when using synthetic.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the info. The only reason I was curious about the synthetic line is that it's way lighter and won't get bound up if I have to just yank it out.
I'm well awar or its limitation and I'm not sure if I'm sold on useing it just yet. I live in new England where rocks trees and lots of mud can be a factor.
I figured the bumper and a 9.5k winch will probably be in the neighborhood of 170-180lbs
Trying to save weight where I can.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:40 PM

saw this in CL, thought about it.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:42 PM

Thats the one. It has some minor dammage to the front but I'm not worried about it.
I've been in the market for one for a year or 2 but I did not want to pay the price for one
I could get a dealer price but it was still around 850
Old 02-21-2015, 04:57 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

I trimmed mine when I removed the factory flares and installed Bushwackers. Just measure carefully side to side and lay out a line to follow with masking tape.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Ianf406
Yea, Just get a hawse fairlead. They are cheap/lighter and better for synthetic line anyways. Like Frank said, your choice of synthetic vs steel should be based on what you are going to use it for. I personally will never go back to steel but I have never had a need to pull it through the dirt in all the years I have been winching. Synthetic wont handle abrasion like steel. In almost every other aspect, it is the way to go.

If you have to use a roller (hawse bolts using same holes) They do make (DayStar) synthetic rollers to put on a roller fairlead when using synthetic.
That is the correct info. Delrin rollers from daystar . ARB says the roller fairlead is structurally important.. Been there..
Old 02-24-2015, 11:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the info. The only reason I was curious about the synthetic line is that it's way lighter and won't get bound up if I have to just yank it out.
I'm well awar or its limitation and I'm not sure if I'm sold on useing it just yet. I live in new England where rocks trees and lots of mud can be a factor.
I figured the bumper and a 9.5k winch will probably be in the neighborhood of 170-180lbs
Trying to save weight where I can.

I don't know what size lift you have but the extra weight will effect the ride as well as the ride height you have with that much extra weight. If by chance you have a 3" lift Rustys Off Road offers a 3" lift coil in 2 different weights (the only lift size offered coil) a std. and a 180# one for people with HD winch bumpers. I had both and the both rode very well and the 180# kept the original lift height of 3" if not a little higher after adding the winch and bumper in fact my bumper isn't as heavy as yours. All of his leafs and coils are American made not imported ones.

I thought the same thing as you about weight when I first ordered my winch with synthetic rope but never thought that it would get eat up so quickly in what mostly I thought was easy winching. I guess if you just carried an extra new one with you (just in case it broke) you could get by and still be covered ok if nothing happened when it did. I'm sure one of these days they will figure it all out and they will be bullet proof, then I will have another one.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:46 PM

Well I picked up the bumper today the passenger Side is a bit more banged up than I thought, but it's fixable.
I'm just throwing this out there this bumper is a lot lighter than I thought it would be my old warn bumper and winch plate on my tj was a lot heaver.
I'm not worried about the synthetic line hahaa.

I have a Rustys full lift kit with BDS shocks it's 3 inch with the heavy front springs as I was planing on a winch and bumper from the get go.

The only other issue was it's missing the bolts I figured I could contact ARBUSA to find out what size and thread pitch the bolts are.

I'll post a pick or 2 when I get it mounted . It might be a few weeks it's still frozen here with feet of snow everywhere.