Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Got My first Jeep..few problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: V6 4.0 litre
Default Just Got My first Jeep..few problems

Alright so I just got my first XJ and I couldnt be happer but I got it with a few problems...the rear diff is really milky and I believe its because the rear diff breather hose was not connected to the rear axle possibly..correct me if Im wrong..also how would I flush all the gear oil out so I can put new gear oil in....and where would the front axle breather hose be? any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:12 AM

Hi you would have to take off rear diff cover it's the only way to clean it out but it's not a big job. Your front axle breather is on top off the diff and runs up to the nearside bulkhead. It has a small cap on it.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:22 AM
CF Veteran

Go to Walmart or where ever you buy oil and get a 20L pale of 80w90 gear oil and some RTV. Take out your basic hand tools you got for christmas that one year as a kid and place a catch pan under the diff, take off the cover. Drain the garbage out, clean the old gasket off the diff and the cover, put the new liquid gasket on the cover, wait 5 minutes or whatever it asks, put it back on. Fill it up until it comes out the hole then put the plug back in. All done.

30-40 minute job. 1 hour if you're drinking. lol
Old 07-16-2011, 08:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Its pretty simple to change gear oil, but there is a few more steps to take when doing it, for normal use, u should be using 75w90 or 80w90 if u tow alot then 80w-140 should be used, if u have lsd, then u need to add 2oz of friction additive, but most of the top brands already have it added so thats something to check out when selecting a brand of oil, (the additive is fine to use evn if u dont have lsd) the d35 uses 3.5 pints of oil, and the 8.25 uses 4.8 pints, but usually what I do is just full it up till oil starts coming out the inspection plug and then ur good to go, remember to do this on a level surface, get a paper gasket and some oil/high heat resistant rtv and ur all set. To clean the inside, u can spray it down lightly with brake cleaner and wipe it down with a paper towel make sure its all dry before adding new oil, if u have lsd then u can just wipe it down, but only clean the diff if there is any sludge or metal shavings, but if u have metal shavings u got a problem.

Last edited by jeepxj19; 07-16-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:07 AM
CF Veteran

if you wheel just buy the oil in bulk and change it often, if you dont wheel and its just a mall crawler than pay up for Royal Purple. Dont forget to stop by a pharmacy to pick up some KY jelly for your *** before you purchase the Royal purple though.

Last time I saw the price my buddy paid the same amount to change one diff that I paid for my 20L pale from Walmart to do both my diffs several times.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by OttawaXJ
if you wheel just buy the oil in bulk and change it often, if you dont wheel and its just a mall crawler than pay up for Royal Purple. Dont forget to stop by a pharmacy to pick up some KY jelly for your *** before you purchase the Royal purple though.

Last time I saw the price my buddy paid the same amount to change one diff that I paid for my 20L pale from Walmart to do both my diffs several times.
x2

no reason to go high dollar on the diff fluids

i just run napa brand in my diffs/tranny/ transfer case (amsoil in the motor though)

and i change out all the fluids after each wheeling trip
Old 07-16-2011, 10:56 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by N20jeep
x2

i just run napa brand in my diffs/tranny/ transfer case (amsoil in the motor though)

Exactly, people forget, you gotta pay to play.

20L of 80w90 for my diff
20L ATF for t-case
20L for Manual trans(i forget the weight)

is what i go through in oil every season. but at 39.99 per pale, at some point you cant penny pinch anymore.

For my engine I use Castrol GTX and WIX filters. Again everything is changed after every wheeling trip. The Castrol GTX I buy at Walmart for 9.88 for 4.5L jugs on sale and the WIX I order online in bulk, per unit price is like $3.50 per filter in a group buy.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:09 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by N20jeep
x2

little over the top...i change it after high water and once a year but anything past that is a little excessive......
Old 07-16-2011, 09:03 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: V6 4.0 litre

Thanks everybody I just opened my rear diff and it looks like chocolate milk came out...no metal pieces though so I am happy about that..there was no seal/gasket on it. They just put rtv on it and called it good.but everything looks good..anything else I should check???