Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just got an 01 XJ sport trying to get into wheeling!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default just got an 01 XJ sport trying to get into wheeling!

Hello all,
I am very new to Jeeps in general i haven't even ridden in one until i bought this 2001 Cherokee sport and so far it has blown me away with everything. Im from AK and i go four wheeling all the time in my old dodge but when i took this jeep about a weekend ago and did some pretty moderate stuff and it handled it all just fine!

But im new to this and have no idea what is most likely to hit, i feel like its the gas tank but does the T-case need it more? or is there something else i should invest in to keep problems from occurring?
I currently have done the following to it:
- cold air intake
- speakers
- headlights
Attached Thumbnails just got an 01 XJ sport trying to get into wheeling!-img_2644.jpg   just got an 01 XJ sport trying to get into wheeling!-img_2517.jpg   just got an 01 XJ sport trying to get into wheeling!-img_2466.jpg  
Old 01-25-2018, 09:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

That intake location is going to suck super heated air right off the exhaust. I wouldn't venture off road without a hitch at the very minimum for recovery.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:16 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Well, turbo went where I was gonna go...recovery. You'll want good recovery points and protection if you wanna do a lot of offroading. Good bumpers with frame tie ins are a must, front and rear. Sliders under the rockers are next. A winch up front is desirable, but you can get away with a hi lift jack and proper rigging (if you don't know about this, then please read up).

Also...if you are gonna go out in the sticks, have a decent toolkit for trail repairs, common fluids and spares, first aid, and survival necessities for several days, just in case. And NEVER go alone...
Old 01-27-2018, 02:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Cold air intake is fine but honestly I don't see the point unless you really gain some marignal performance for doing so. Stock box would have been fine and would keep the dirt out. Think it was mentioned above already about that but I will repeat.

Speakers: well good idea I guess to keep you motivated but that is not going to get you out of the woods in a jam. Some recovery gear at best like tire changing jack"High Lift", Spare tire, Basic wrenches and tool set to cover most of the problem areas of the jeep. Possibly a tire patch kit in the event you do blow a tire and need to fix a leak quick.

Agree with above never go alone!!!!!!

Lights are important if your going to be out during the nighttime but also important on the trails so others see you.

If your going to be going off road more then on road then look at getting a mild lift with 33" tires you don't need that much but perhaps it won't hurt but I don't know your trails and what terrain your up against.

Good luck and feel free to post your build progress in the Jeep Builds area
Old 01-28-2018, 04:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Message my good buddy Rob Corbisier on the Alaska Extreme Four Wheelers https://m.facebook.com/alaskaextreme...rwheelerscorp/, he is a wealth of knowledge and has owned built tons of Jeeps xj’s Zj’s CJ5’s CJ8’s etc. He