Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JK D30/44 Swap into XJ Build List

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Default JK D30/44 Swap into XJ Build List

Currently I have a set of 2008 JK Dana 30 front & Dana 44 rear axles that I'd like to swap into my 1999 XJ.

I have searched Google & read all the threads I can find about this topic until my eyes have bled & my brain explodes. I *think* I understand what all I need to complete the job but I'm still a noob so I'd like a second opinion on the method & parts selection if possible. I figured I'd truss it while I have the axle off the Jeep as well.

Here's the summary of what I've gathered for swapping the fronts since the rear is straight forward:

- Need to relocate the spring perches inwards approx 1-1.5" on each side (JK Axle is 5" wider total)
- Need to move the spring perch mounts back approx 1" (JK Axle are centered above the axle tube)
- Need to rotate the LCA brackets to be perpendicular to the axle tube (JK's are slightly angled outwards)
- Upper control are brackets are the same
- Axle tube diameter is the same

I know TNT makes a complete truss kit just for such a swap HERE. Keep in mind that I'd need to buy C Gussets to go with the TNT kit since they don't offer them.

It appears I can mimic the same parts from Artec (which I like their build quality & design a little better). I'd need to buy sway bar mounts for the Artec route since they don't offer those.

With this route I'll either need to re-use the stock JK buckets or go with something like this as well from Ballistic Fab (which you get the LCA mounts as well).

Thoughts, Suggestions, or Criticisms?

Last edited by -ND4SPD-; 04-01-2015 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:11 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

That's a ton of work for almost no gain. The D30 is considered weaker than the XJ versions, search JK front axle breaks and I'll post a pic as well. The D44 is a decent axle but in stock form I'd run 35s on these axles max. But what do I know, I was dumb enough to build a D44 front and think it'd be fine with 38s and even with chromos it's broke half the time.
Attached Thumbnails JK D30/44 Swap into XJ Build List-dsc00675.jpg  
Old 04-02-2015, 07:13 AM

Year: '98
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by xjmarc
That's a ton of work for almost no gain. The D30 is considered weaker than the XJ versions, search JK front axle breaks and I'll post a pic as well. The D44 is a decent axle but in stock form I'd run 35s on these axles max. But what do I know, I was dumb enough to build a D44 front and think it'd be fine with 38s and even with chromos it's broke half the time.
The JK D44's are pretty strong once they're sleeved and gusseted. Would run 37's on them, such as in the Rubicon, once that's done.

Agree on the front axle --- why bother?
Old 04-02-2015, 10:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

The JK44s have a much larger R+P than most 44s (by about 1/2), little bit wider and parts are abundant and still being produced. People run 37s on them all the time without breaking them... This swap is the next thing on my list BUT as you can get a SET of the Rubicon44s with lockers, gears and all for 2500-3500, I would NEVER put the work into doing the swap with the 30. Check out JK Forum/EBAY for a front 44 if your going to do it. Seems like a waste to me is all.

I plan on using the all JK stuff and building my steering off their knuckles (Just like a WJ swap), getting new 5x5.5" rims and will probably do a rear coil conversion at the same time. I will just spend the extra cash on the TNT stuff- Makes it much easier!

Last edited by Ianf406; 04-02-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:56 AM

Let me clarify a bit. I'm not asking if this is a good axle to swap. I've already done my homework on this & made my decisions based upon my budget, needs, & use of my Jeep. I'll explain my though process merely for others who may be researching this in the future.

I'm not a hardcore wheeler. I do more camping & recreation stuff as well as being a reliable daily driver. I can't justify spending $4000+ on axle beef I'll never use to it's full potential. I'd rather spend that money on other issues that need attention on my Jeep. That's just my opinion & how I use my junk. You can do what works to meet your own goals.

Improving the braking & steering are my primary concerns while beefing things up since it's easier to do a truss with the axles off the jeep rather then later on. I can easily add chromo's, gears, & lockers at any time as budget allows.

Now with that said, here's how I eventually decided to switch to the JK stuff.

The original plan was to just beef up the D30/8.25 axles. I was already going to do a front/ rear truss, brackets, & mounts so that's not really a factor. I have the following parts sitting in my garage. I eventually realized I could accomplish the same end result but with less hacks & mismatched parts for the same price in the end.

XJ HPD30 (60" WMS)
WJ Knuckles, JKS spacer, & tapered inserts
WJ Disk Brakes re-drilled for 4 on 5 bolt pattern
TJ Timkin hubs
Ruffstuff 1 ton steering
Ruffstuff Track Bar
1.5" Wheel spacers
Artec Truss (haven't bought yet)
Artec Inner C's (haven't bought yet)
Aretc LCA mounts (haven't bought yet)

XJ 8.25 (60" WMS)
KJ Disk brake conversion
1.5" Wheel spacers
Artec truss modded to fit (haven't bought yet)
Artec U-Bolt eliminator leaf spring mounts (haven't bought yet)
Artec axle side shock relocation mounts (haven't bought yet)

JK D30/D44 (65" WMS)
Stock Disk Brakes front & rear
No wheels spacers needed
Stock tie rod & drag link mounts on knuckles (easy steering upgrades possible)
More options for gears & lockers
Wife has this axle combo on her Jeep JK (share spare parts easily)

Now look at all the other parts required to build the stock XJ axles up to be nearly the same as what a set of stock JK axles provide out the box. The JK axles were $1000 with only 60,000 miles from a jeep that's been wheeled approx. 4 times which is 1/2 the abuse. It was basically an even cost to go either route.

I've never done an axle swaps before so this is new territory for me. I'm just trying to wrap my brain around everything & make sure I have all my bases covered before we pull everything apart. I hate mid-project surprises.

Last edited by -ND4SPD-; 04-02-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I run 35's on my stock D30/Chy 8.25 in my 99 no issues so far with breakage. If I were planning to go with a larger tire or really beat my XJ to death I would consider an upgrade both front and rear then.

But for now stock works fine and if I break something I would rather it be an axle instead of gears. I carry spares but haven't needed them so far. Since owning this XJ with the D30/Chy 8.25 29 spline I had no idea how strong the 8.25's were, so close to a D44 in strength IMHO not worth a swap for sure. Also the D30's when trussed out and beefed up axles and so forth do quite well to for moderate wheeling.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:14 AM
CF Veteran

I think your way over thinking it all,Your stock axles with half the upgrades you think they need will handle more then you would need.As far as the jk axles for the width and price you could have bought 1 ton axles and not have to worry about breaking anything.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:21 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

then yea! Go for it. 1000$ is a decent price. Doesn't look like you are missing much. You'll have larger brakes, better steering, and despite what the 8.25 guys say, Ide go with the 44 anyday. The JK 44 R+P is the same size as a Dana 50... about 3/4 of the way to a 60. You shouldn't break anything. You probably wont be in that much further than doing the WJ swap/truss etc. Just little more work.

On the JK30, (Father had one for awhile on his JK) the weakest link is the cross pin. I would consider doing that while you have it all apart. Just Google JK crosspin and a bunch will pop up on JK forum. He wheeled his 30 with RCVs/35s for quite awhile and never broke it. You should be fine. The extra width will be nice on the road.

Possibly snag some diff covers! About the only thing I see your missing! Good luck! Take lots of pictures.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
I think your way over thinking it all,Your stock axles with half the upgrades you think they need will handle more then you would need.
You're probably right on the over thinking. I'm also buying new wheels & tires so I wanted to commit to an axle so I know what bolt pattern to go with as well. There are a lot of factors in play.

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
As far as the jk axles for the width and price you could have bought 1 ton axles and not have to worry about breaking anything.
I'm not sure what 1 ton's cost around you but $1000 here would get you 1 axle with drum brakes & probably still need high steer knuckles. That's more then I want to spend.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:44 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Ianf406
then yea! Go for it. 1000$ is a decent price. Doesn't look like you are missing much. You'll have larger brakes, better steering, and despite what the 8.25 guys say, Ide go with the 44 anyday. The JK 44 R+P is the same size as a Dana 50... about 3/4 of the way to a 60. You shouldn't break anything. You probably wont be in that much further than doing the WJ swap/truss etc. Just little more work.

On the JK30, (Father had one for awhile on his JK) the weakest link is the cross pin. I would consider doing that while you have it all apart. Just Google JK crosspin and a bunch will pop up on JK forum. He wheeled his 30 with RCVs/35s for quite awhile and never broke it. You should be fine. The extra width will be nice on the road.

Possibly snag some diff covers! About the only thing I see your missing! Good luck! Take lots of pictures.

For his intended use the swap really is a waste of money and time for what he would gain in his "Usage DD and some off road camping trips".

He could better invest his money in gears/lockers or about anything other than a differential upgrades. I'm all for helping people but hate seeing people waste money on things they don't need for what they are doing, plan on doing.

I'm done, good luck with your project.

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 04-02-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:45 AM
CF Veteran

I cant build a set of tons here either with selectable lockers, crossover steering and disk brakes for anywhere near what a set of rubi44s would run. Not to mention the extra weight and loss of ground clearance. If the heavy JKs can run 37s no problem, the XJ should have no issues. Those are the reasons I've set my mind on the JK axles...

I do want to see some pictures of your install when you are done. How you do the steering etc.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:49 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ

For his intended use the swap really is a waste of money and time for what he would gain in his "Usage DD and some off road camping trips".

He could better invest his money in gears/lockers or about anything other than a differential upgrades. I'm all for helping people but hate seeing people waste money on things they don't need for what they are doing, plan on doing.
Its not just a dif upgrade though. He gains better brakes, better steering, and a little bit of width. The stuff he listed that he was going to do to his XJ30 would have cost about the same and like he said, welding spacers and stuff on seems shoddy. the 5x5.5" opens up more options for rims and is stronger as well. I wouldn't have done it with the 30 he got but since he already bought it... not much choice for him now.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:06 PM

I cant build a set of tons here either with selectable lockers, crossover steering and disk brakes for anywhere near what a set of rubi44s would run. Not to mention the extra weight and loss of ground clearance. If the heavy JKs can run 37s no problem, the XJ should have no issues. Those are the reasons I've set my mind on the JK axles...

I do want to see some pictures of your install when you are done. How you do the steering etc.

Bent axle tubes happen frequently though, should sleeve them.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:12 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by n00g7

Bent axle tubes happen frequently though, should sleeve them.
Yea TNT sells a box truss for them with all the XJ mounts. I think that should be sufficient and make my life easy.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:27 PM

Yea TNT sells a box truss for them with all the XJ mounts. I think that should be sufficient and make my life easy.
Indeed, I'll be looking for a good deal on JK Rubi D44's once I move and will probably go that route when I find some.

Quick Reply: JK D30/44 Swap into XJ Build List