Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ironman motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ironman motor mounts

I'm trying to replace my stock mounts w the Ironman mounts. Should I have both factory mounts off first? I tried w leaving the drivers side on (but bolts lose). Drivers side is completely off.
Thanks for help.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:50 PM

Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

Would think it would be just like replacing a stock motor mount. Just do one at a time.

Brandon
Old 10-23-2011, 03:21 PM
Banned

I tried with that. So now I've taken off both factory motor mounts. Got the driver side on. Now the passenger side holed won't line up. Off by about 1/2". Passenger side was easy to take off. Just now the hardest to put on.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

I believe I did one side at a time with mine and used a large pry bar to move the motor as needed to align them. loosely bolt the mounts to the chassis and try to align up the motor to the mounts. I did drivers then passengers, it was a pain but wasnt too bad. You cant use these motor mounts with a tcase drop so if you have one get rid of it.

Come to think of it I also had my cossmember undone when I installed these.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Banned

I do have a t-case drop. I have not driven the jeep yet. I have a leak some where (probably therm housing).
Old 10-24-2011, 12:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Thats your issue. I would imagine lift motor mounts and tcase drop would put the angle issue on the front DS at that point.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0
Default trans drop and mounting issues.

From 88-90 A lot but not all of the driver side engine brackets are not milled deep enough to clear aftermarket style mounts. Most folks that have this issue either trim the poly a hair or use a grinder to clearance the engine bracket to where it should be. This means removing about 1/4" back and maybe 1/8" deep. It will not harm or weaken the bracket in any way. If you do trim the poly to clear and have an issue with it I will warranty the part. This has never happened as of yet so I am quite confident that these will hold up great no matter which path you choose.

As far as the transfer case drop issue. These mounts will work just fine with a t case drop. The 1/4" lift actually helps the rear drive line angles as well as helps keep more coolant and less air at the back of the engine. Most folks never take into account that air bubbles like to hang out at the back of the 4.0 and heat up the 6th cyl. Bumping the engine up a touch helps bring the air up and out.

Front drive shaft angles are not really affected by these mounts at all. The 1/4" lift is not enough to bother it. The high pinion and double cardan front drive shafts take care of that. Many times folks tend to do a lift and mounts and t case drop at the same time and then experience issues and vibes from all of that change at once. None of these vehicles were designed to be lifted or modified keep in mind that what we all do here is a balancing act of making these things work with what we have and getting what we really want.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes guys.
Andy Carter (Ironman)
Old 10-21-2012, 01:40 PM

^^^ what he said. i think he would know lol
Old 10-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Lol, Thanks. I still run into something new all the time with these. They built them in so many factories from so many dies and parts that some XJs just don't line up...
Andy