Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IRO 6.5LA vs RC 6.5LA

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 12:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I once was pretty well convinced i wanted the Rough Country 6.5 LA kit for my xj. Then I started hearing that the bushings in the control arms are junk and you have to replace them way too often, Once I heard that I started looking at IRO and figured for the same price, you get better flex and some say a better lift but now I'm hearing other things about their lift maybe not being as durable as the rough country. Help me out here guys. I want to do it right but I dont want to spend 2500$ on a claytons or something like that. I don't plan on doing any crazy rock crawling, just lots of trails and mud and whatever I can find, just a mix of everything. What are some opinions? IRO or RC?

Last edited by Slimgoaty; 01-11-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001

I have the the RC 6.5LA in my 2000XJ. Been installed in my truck about 12months. In that time I have had to replace the Control Arm bushes TWICE in that time.

I was not impressed with RC's customer Service, as it took almost three months of phone calls and emails to get my first replacement set (even harder when living down here in New Zealand)

I tried to upgrade my long arms to the 'new X-flex' joints, but to no avail. They wont fit on my older kit.

I learnt the hard way, and now have Four complete sets of bushes stashed away for when (very soon) I need them.

Apart from those grizzles, I really like the way the kits performs off-road.

Last edited by theolebill; 01-11-2012 at 01:12 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-11-2012, 01:14 AM

So are the bushings everyone is having problems with the older style and not these new "x-flex joints"? I like the idea of the transfer case skid, looks better and beefier then the oem skid also.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:19 AM

Year: 2001

I can't make comments on the new X-Flex, as I haven't used them, but they should be good, being adjustable. I am considering getting a set of the same things through a company called Ballistic.com.

Your right about the Tranny case guard. The fabrication of the RC Kit is pretty good.

Are you from Australia???
Old 01-11-2012, 01:22 AM
Seasoned Member

I've just asked this question about 3links etc

Iro has some weak points but I imagine for why's your going to do I would say a yes to iro or rock krawler
Old 01-11-2012, 02:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

last i checked the rockkrawler 3 link was in the same price range as those and is worlds better. iro and rc are 2 kits i would never consider running.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by ktmracer419
last i checked the rockkrawler 3 link was in the same price range as those and is worlds better. iro and rc are 2 kits i would never consider running.
The rock Krawler looks to be a bit more expensive then I'm interested in right now. Doesn't look to include shocks, its an add-a-leaf, and it involves welding.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Slimgoaty
The rock Krawler looks to be a bit more expensive then I'm interested in right now. Doesn't look to include shocks, its an add-a-leaf, and it involves welding.
its also available as an upgrade to an existing lift. might be worth it to piece something together. prices have probably changed but when I was in the market it was only $399.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:46 AM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Slimgoaty
I once was pretty well convinced i wanted the Rough Country 6.5 LA kit for my xj. Then I started hearing that the bushings in the control arms are junk and you have to replace them way too often, Once I heard that I started looking at IRO and figured for the same price, you get better flex and some say a better lift but now I'm hearing other things about their lift maybe not being as durable as the rough country. Help me out here guys. I want to do it right but I dont want to spend 2500$ on a claytons or something like that. I don't plan on doing any crazy rock crawling, just lots of trails and mud and whatever I can find, just a mix of everything. What are some opinions? IRO or RC?
I had been having the same problem trying to decide
on the exact same 2 kits recently. I have decided on RC for a couple reasons. More adjustability wth the arms. The IRO kit has an upgrade option for adjustable arms but from research the consensus is their adjustable arms suck because of their design. IRO arm setup is unique but ive seen way to many guys tear lower control arm mounts off the axle to only want to use one mounting point on the passenger side. Rip the passenger side mount off and your screwed out on the trail with the IRO kit, doubt you could even limp it off a trail.

Only issues most talk about is the past issues with RC flex joints.If your worried you can buy currie joints that will screw into the arms perfect. The RC kit sold me as well with them including sway bar disconnects and a transfer case skid. The 2.2 shocks that some with the RC kit are junk though, have them swap them for hydro shocks or something that are longer length.

IRO does have a good idea with their crossmember but they only use the lower mount positions on the frame. RC uses lower mounts as well as another bracket that come off the lower mounts and mounts to the side of the frame. You will also find alot of hate on the cam adjuster on the IRO kit but ive only found one failure while researching it.

Just stating my opinion and what ive found researching both kits. Not hating on IRO. I had all the intention of running IRO long arms in the past till i truly set back and compared the two kit to kit.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:48 AM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by ktmracer419
its also available as an upgrade to an existing lift. might be worth it to piece something together. prices have probably changed but when I was in the market it was only $399.
Try $799 now but not any more expensive than everyone elses long arm upgrade.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:13 PM

Thank you for the great info musclehead. I've been looking for about 2 months and I just want some durable with flex, I'm not too worried if it doesn't flex as well as the IRO, as it will flex light years better than any short arm kit I can find.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

rc long arms are great i use them, but i dont like their springs too stiff, rustys springs are softer
Old 01-11-2012, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0

Ive had my RC long arms for 4 months and not once have i had problems with theyre flex joints or any of there parts
Old 01-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Seasoned Member

My problem with RC is they are low end and are made by les schwab tire company and are kind of crappy the Rustys is better just get a different tracbar
Old 01-11-2012, 01:44 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

Originally Posted by auburn_XJ
My problem with RC is they are low end and are made by les schwab tire company and are kind of crappy the Rustys is better just get a different tracbar
Made by who? Rustys will also double the price of the rc kit, and the rc kit comes with a t case skid rustys doesn't, I'm friends with ppl from rustys but its my hard earned money and I wasn't spending that much extra.

Quick Reply: IRO 6.5LA vs RC 6.5LA