Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 09-14-2015, 04:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Interior mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4L six
Default Interior mods

My old '89 XJ has remained pretty stock since I bought it new 26 years ago. I'm curious how people re-do the interior once it wears out. My headliner is collapsing for the second time and rather than try and glue replacement fabric to the worn-out cardboard backing, I'd like ideas based on what other people have tried. For example is there a diamondplate-pattern flooring material that can be made to fit, or what. Perhaps there are websites I'm not familiar with where these customizations are described. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

http://www.azzysdesignworks.com/gauges/ has custom gauge faces,For floor mats that work good http://www.quadratec.com/showcases/q...t_cherokee.php .If you want switch panels http://www.prime4x4.com/index.htm and they have wide range of stuff from usb charger ports to a gauge hole you can use for any gauge you want to add.Only thing else i can add is changing all the interior lights to leds.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Headliner board is fiberglass unless the older XJ's used cardboard, but cardboard sounds like the dumbest material to use for that. Using a fabric other than foam-backed headliner fabric tends to last longer as well. Just make sure it is thick enough that you don't get glue soaking through it. I don't understand why the foam backing is the conventional thing because it does nothing except for break-down over time and separate the fabric from the adhesive. Some people have just painted/bed-lined their headboards as well; I don't think it looks very good usually, but it's your Jeep and your choice.

I believe Rugged Ridge is the actual designer of the "Quadratec" floormats and Q-tec just rebadges them and pretends like they are their own because that "New!" one-piece rear mat has been offered by Rugged Ridge for years. Great floor mats either way; I have some myself. I just don't like how Q-tec pretends to take so much credit for a product that is not really their own.

If your upholstery is getting worn-out, there are shops that specialize in restoring it, or there are some really nice custom seat covers out there that fit perfectly and look great.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:44 PM
jmg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by d00med
My old '89 XJ has remained pretty stock since I bought it new 26 years ago. I'm curious how people re-do the interior once it wears out. My headliner is collapsing for the second time and rather than try and glue replacement fabric to the worn-out cardboard backing, I'd like ideas based on what other people have tried. For example is there a diamondplate-pattern flooring material that can be made to fit, or what. Perhaps there are websites I'm not familiar with where these customizations are described. Thanks.
I've done a lot in my '88-- custom leather seats, rear leather seat from a limited (added headrests from a grand Cherokee), gauges in the pod under the ash tray, CARR shifters (which I needed with the chevy 700r4 tranny), all LED lights (why not), cheap rubber floor mats from ebay, power for cell phones in the center console/glove box, DD nav unit and '96 "****" style HVAC controls (bezel courtesy of DDmods.com).... temp/dimming rear view mirror .... overhead cb.... I'm sure there are a few things I'm missing. Next up, I'm getting a small LCD screen that will fit where the useless clock is for gauges, or something.

Last edited by jmg; 07-12-2015 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

make it quieter..

Name:  IMAG0953.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  133.0 KB

get tuned in..

Name:  IMAG0347.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  79.7 KB

get tuned up..

Name:  20150429_200749.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  234.6 KB

organize your gear..

Name:  IMAG0594.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  91.7 KB

let her get a little closer..

Name:  IMAG1178_1.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  249.5 KB

make your own drive-in theater..

Name:  IMAG1180.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  224.9 KB
Old 07-13-2015, 09:47 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 w/ tupy head

Originally Posted by uber
make it quieter..

get tuned in..

get tuned up..

organize your gear..

let her get a little closer..

make your own drive-in theater..

I dig the bench seat. Reminds me of my 1972 chevelle, me and my buddies would clean her up and armor-all the vinyl seats and would slide door to door when turning sharp. I miss that car. lol
Old 07-14-2015, 03:31 AM

Year: three x 2001's

Like your mod's
He's a pic of my 10"3G tablet I use for my navigation/phone/multimedia/ Wi-Fi camera setup.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Default Interior mods

Uber, what sound mat is that? I'm trying to find an alternative to Dynamat that won't cost me $200 to knock out some of the heat that comes up through the trans tunnel.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:51 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 w/ tupy head

Originally Posted by MurderCityXJ
Uber, what sound mat is that? I'm trying to find an alternative to Dynamat that won't cost me $200 to knock out some of the heat that comes up through the trans tunnel.
Looks like rattletrap xxx.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:05 AM

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by MurderCityXJ

I'm in the process of redoing the hole inside of my Cherokee I went to lows (Home Depot) kind of place I'm not sure if their nation wide
I picked up flexible aluminum 5 mil insulation 6inch by 25-30 feet for 16.00 a role
It's worked great even with out having everything back in the jeep it's a big difference
I also used insulation that looks like bubble wrap covered in aluminum foil and that works amazing also.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, what did you pull that bench seat out of? Getting her a little closer sounds like something I'd like to happen.

Then again, I guess I'd have to get her to ride in my XJ at all before that would work.

Shoot.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993

Originally Posted by Teephphah
Okay, what did you pull that bench seat out of? Getting her a little closer sounds like something I'd like to happen. Then again, I guess I'd have to get her to ride in my XJ at all before that would work. Shoot.
MJ bench seat.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:59 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4L six

Lots of great ideas and great work shown here! But I still don't have any ideas on replacing / improving the headliner. My old cardboard backing doesn't seem the most reliable substrate for any material, and the stock replacement material that glues on doesn't appeal to me anyway.

I guess that the original cardboard has to be used, if it will hold up, and anything I like glued on, but that seems like only half a solution. I'm wondering what people have learned when completely redoing the ceiling.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997

I've never seen anyone have the board fail on them. I've seen people put new foam-backed headliner on it. I've seen suede put on. I've seen it painted. Bed-liner.

If yours is in such bad shape, that's an exception to the rule that they hold-up pretty well, so go to a junkyard and pull one to use instead.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:56 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L, 6cyl., performance chipped
Default Headliner and interior seat replacements and door panels

Originally Posted by mschi772
Headliner board is fiberglass unless the older XJ's used cardboard, but cardboard sounds like the dumbest material to use for that. Using a fabric other than foam-backed headliner fabric tends to last longer as well. Just make sure it is thick enough that you don't get glue soaking through it. I don't understand why the foam backing is the conventional thing because it does nothing except for break-down over time and separate the fabric from the adhesive. Some people have just painted/bed-lined their headboards as well; I don't think it looks very good usually, but it's your Jeep and your choice.

I recently tackled my headliner job on my 96 and first found that the outer stock roof strips were removed and left open for water to seep in (previous owner) so while my board was still useable i painted up a matching set of bolts and sealed to a set of washers and screwed them into the roof holes with matching color sealant. I treated the rusty spots inside with wire wheel, a rust stopping agent and special spray paint where rust stop was not needed, all before i reinstalled my completed liner. Most of my headliners somehow got wet or moist and fell or separated, so check for possible leaks to avoid another disaster. I am sure other reasons exists but to have it happen twice has to be a leaky windshield or something where water gets in above the board. clues will be where board breaks down most or liner pulled off board those will be where you start checking to prevent.

I chose a black vinyl material to glue onto the board and I followed two you tube videos carefully on the glue process and cutting. This material is durable with a cloth backing and it stuck well and 24 hours after I did the reinstallation of the board with material and now have a cleanable wipeable leather look to my roof inside. Looks awesome and its durable. Don't shortcut the glue and take your time allowing it to get tacky this is the most important part of the entire process. Get some help with removal and putting the piece back in so that you don't break it. if you need a new board I suggest going to get one from your wrecking yard or dealer. when I peeled off the old material i used a broom to sweep it clean and all the old crumby stuff has to come off for the new stuff to stick so be sure to get it all clean. It took 3 days with start to finish to get it done right and a friend.

I found a whole new interior at my junk yard seats and door panels that worked from a newer jeep that crashed. prices were okay and wow what a difference for my old 88. everything bolted right in and that is the cool thing about jeeps, why change every year if it works keep it. body styles to interior parts and colors, most of it just bolts on in from just about any year 80s and 90s that I found so far, most consoles and dash parts inclusive. i took a paper plate or cardboard trace of my bolt patterns and sizes with me if i was not sure if the fit would work. paper is easier to carry in than parts you may be charged for that are already yours!

All done and rolling, you will fall in love with that jeep all over again! Good luck.

Quick Reply: Interior mods