Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing python/viper security & keyless entry in '96 xj, looking for assistance

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Installing python/viper security & keyless entry in '96 xj, looking for assistance

Hey everyone, at my wits end while installing this Python (aka viper) keyless entry remote start security system and turned here in hopes there is an electornics guru that can assist. Searching the site I have found similar unanswered questions from a couple years ago or posts from different era xj's that have different wiring than mine.

I have the system intalled and working, but cannot figure out the keyless entry wiring. I have installed several keyless entry systems before, but they all have been very straightforward and had instructions for exactly how to wire it. These guys at DEI electronics are clever in supporting their installers by not providing any guidance beyond what each wire is for, and say 'for professional installation only' and will not answer any questions. I refuse to pay someone rediculous money to do something I am perfectly capable of handling & I like to know how it is installed, but not knowing exactly how the system works or how they intend it to be set up is a bit frustrating. I can find other peoples wiring online, but there are so many different lock systems out there its becoming a challenge. So, maybe someone knows the DEI system and knows the '96 xj wiring good enough to simplify this seemingly simple four-wire dylemma.

I have the two wires from the DEI unit, one lock and one unlock (blue and green both labeled -500ma); I have the xj door lock & unlock wires clearly exposed (orange/purple and pink/purple). I know which wires are for the lock and which ones are for the unlock; I just dont know how they want them connected...I suspect they want relays in there somewhere but again there are a couple different ways that can be set up. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

James
Old 03-16-2013, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Get 2 five pin relays and wire like this

Lock
Pin 85= 12v constant with a jumper wire to pin 87
Pin 86= lock trigger from remote start (green)
Pin 30= wire to lock wire in jeep

Unlock
Same as above except pin 86 to blue from remote start and pin 30 to unlock wire on jeep

Let me know if you have any other questions

Last edited by matt01xj; 03-17-2013 at 12:02 PM.