Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ignition coil rail for my 01

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default ignition coil rail for my 01

im experiencing some misfires it seems and have been for some time. it rarely happens, but every once in a while when i start my 01 it seems to barely be idling at first. and the idle is not smooth. usually after a minute or two of driving it goes away and then i wont experience this problem again for a month or two.

i have never had any misfire issues with any other vehicle so i dont have any other experiences to compare this to. i have replaced the plugs on this XJ a couple of times within the last 5 years and always the same results. so i am to believe that my ignition coil rail may need replacing. so my questions are this:

has anyone replaced their ignition coil rail and successfully eliminated a misfire issue?

are there any specific MFGs of these rails that are better than others?

and where is a good place to get one? quadratec has one for $150, but im unsure of its quality.

any help is appreciated!
Old 03-16-2011, 03:54 PM

Year: 2000 sport
Engine: 4.0

Its an easy fix. you can get the coil rail at autozone, oreilys for $92.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:12 PM

Year: 2000

I had the same problem, I took my cam sensor apart and cleaned it and it hasnt done it since.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:18 PM

I was possibly still fighting a random misfire issue on my 01. I changed the coil rail, plug boots and plugs 1st. I still had it. I cleaned my injectors and still had it. I just dropped the tank and replaced both strainers and the filter/pressure regulator. Right now it seems to be doing better. It has only been 4 days so I can't say fixed yet. I would say check your fuel pressure. I had low pressure and quick loss of pressure after it was cut off. Now both of these issues are gone.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:58 PM

thanks everybody... ill be looking into all of that

my odometer is only reading at 86K and i want to keep this XJ for a long time

i also have a "tick" that is audible, especially in the mornings and when its colder. the sound accelerates as i do. and it seems to get quieter as i drive. at first its very apparent and then gets to where i almost have to really listen for it, but its always there. its REALLY bothering me and i dont really know where to start to diagnose that.

it sounds to me, from inside my XJ, that the sound is coming from near the cowl area under the hood. once i get some time im going to do my best to find out what that is, but not sure where to start.

any suggestions on that?

thanks again!
Old 03-17-2011, 12:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Well the basic tune up isnt really to expensive. While getting the coil rail why not just do the whole set up. New plugs, wires, cap rotor, oil, fuel additive, air filter. Cheap and easy diy job

I have a small bit of ticking noise but i think its coming from the exhaust. A rock or something loose inside. Annoying as all hell but Ive been too lazy to replace it.

Post up what your problem is to share in case anyone else has the ticking
Old 03-17-2011, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by liftedjeepxj
Post up what your problem is to share in case anyone else has the ticking
will do for sure

the tick sound reminds me of a "baseball card in a bicycle spoke" kind of tick... ya know?
Old 03-20-2011, 01:31 PM

Year: 2000.1999,1996

Well I see you guys really dont understand the coil rail or cop, 100% when you change the plugs you need to replace the boots and springs this should get rid of your cop skip if everything else is in good working order and done right (not saying your work is wrong). if you still have a skip check into the number 3 injector, they have a insulator plate at the dealer for about 5.00 bucks, plus use some heat sheild materail for spark plug boots will work wonders for you. gl
Old 03-20-2011, 01:35 PM

Year: 2000.1999,1996

As far as your TICKS it could range from an exhaust leak to worn lifters like I have as my tick.You should already know what I should do to fix mine, as for a exhaust leak if it gets worse you will start to see your MPG's start to drop.Also remember your injectors do click.