Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have masterd HID lighting.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6 Powertech
Default I have masterd HID lighting.

OK I will put this out I might not have the most lights on my XJ but I believe my 4 lights are brighter then 8 PIAA. OK there is a quick story I have been fascinated with light and light accessories I actually build custom flashlights on the side. For me not for sale. Anyway started with eBay I junked the kit and got DDM. Kit went after 3 months was tired of the BS lifetime warranty. Switched to VVME same thing 3 months ballast blew on these Anyway long story short I found this website http://www.norcalmr2.com/ through Cherokeeforum and he was offering Bi-Xenon projectors at a reasonable price. About 3 months goes by get the trend one bulb blows about 2 days later the second one. At this point I was about to switch back to stock glass from autozone. After about one more day of research I found a guy from http://www.theretrofitsource.com/ his name was Matt witch turns out to be the owner. I explained my problem and what I was using apparently H7 bulbs were never meant to be Bi-Xenon bulbs. He tells me everything I need and what to do. Also I had a spare hid kit from my other car I bought from http://www.retro-solutions.com/ a long time ago from Long story short I bought 4 ballast, 4 8000k 55w H7 bulbs, 1 wiring harness, a pair of 3ft AMP-AMP extension and secondary projectors from Ebay.I will link everything in order. The 3ft AMP to AMP you need to call and custom order from theretofitsource. The high beams are not a different color just didn't let them heat up its cold and raining out. Of course pics

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=163
http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/ser...N-BULBS/Detail
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...products_id=81
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-COLOR-HALO...item2eb9225bc5

The first pic is of the H7 Bi-Xenon broken.
Attached Thumbnails I have masterd HID lighting.-broken.jpg   I have masterd HID lighting.-2ballast2.jpg   I have masterd HID lighting.-frontview.jpg   I have masterd HID lighting.-lowbeams2.jpg   I have masterd HID lighting.-lowbeams.jpg  

Last edited by XJJeff; 11-15-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:46 PM
Seasoned Member

The HID on the bumper will only turn on with my high beams the blue and black wires are low ballast the orange and black are high beams. The harness knows what to do since it plugs right into the stock wiring harness expert. This new one runs right off the battery with a relay much safer and reliable. These pictures do no justice of how bright my lights are.
Attached Thumbnails I have masterd HID lighting.-highbeams.jpg   I have masterd HID lighting.-highbeams2.jpg   I have masterd HID lighting.-h4relay2l.jpg   I have masterd HID lighting.-ampextension12.jpg  

Last edited by XJJeff; 11-15-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

awesome man, good job... hopefully ur persistence wins this time... i feel the same way about maximum, proper lumen output

reassuring that u've had a good experience with theretrofitsource.com... i've had they're site linked for quite a while, just need the funds to buy they're components... what made u choose the morimoto's (besides they're reputation? is that the only 50W ballast?
Old 11-15-2011, 09:58 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

its a good write up, i would like to do, i just need to spend money in different places right now
Old 11-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by xj^REMY
awesome man, good job... hopefully ur persistence wins this time... i feel the same way about maximum, proper lumen output

reassuring that u've had a good experience with theretrofitsource.com... i've had they're site linked for quite a while, just need the funds to buy they're components... what made u choose the morimoto's (besides they're reputation? is that the only 50W ballast?
There stuff is so nice there ballast you know when you can fell quality like a snap-on tool how its heavy that's what there ballast and wiring harness feel like. Give me a sec just realized I didn't take a pic of where I shoved the harness its down that little hole next to the battery it rests on the fender flare so it doesn't move that much and, the 55w from RetroSolution provides the same as the 50w from RetroFit.

Last edited by XJJeff; 11-15-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:08 PM
Seasoned Member

The one thing I did forget to mention the back of the eBay projectors we not big enough in the back to fit the AMP connection so I had to drill a quater of inch bigger section. Pass the connection right through and with Retro Solution stuff he gives you a rubber seal to so I use to stop water from getting in.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Seasoned Member

More Pics. Where I run the wire the double 30A fuses and last the rubber boot on the back of the projectors.
Attached Thumbnails I have masterd HID lighting.-runthewire.jpg   I have masterd HID lighting.-rubber2.jpg   I have masterd HID lighting.-doublefuse.jpg   I have masterd HID lighting.-rubber.jpg   I have masterd HID lighting.-wires.jpg  

Last edited by XJJeff; 11-15-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:03 PM

See THAT beam pattern looks great.