Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am stuck on 2" or 3"

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default I am stuck on 2" or 3"

Hey guys I am a newbie. I have posted a thread before and you guys a awesome at helping. So thank you.I drive a 1998 Cherokee. 4.0,auto, 242 transfer. My first jeep and I want to build it my own. Lol. I am on the fence about a 2" or 3" lift. I don't know how to feel about the spacers above coil spring and that all there seems to be on the 2" kits. I wasn't sure as what brand that makes a really good baby lift (2" and 3"). I want to stay practical and have it stay my daily driver.I don't want to hop up into the driver seat. Just a cherokee with a bit of lift. With a 3" does there need to be anything moved, dropped, or upgraded. If you guys could spit what info you have to me I would greatly appreciate it. Thnx.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

With a 2" lift you'll be fine without having to move or drop anything. Typically you won't with a 3" either, but every truck is different.

I've got a BDS 3" lift and I like it.

I'm thinking that with only 2" you'll want more.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:15 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0HO

no mater what size lift you install you WILL need to get an alignment and upgrade your track bar, or relocate the stock track bar (best option on cheaper lift), you will also need shocks...

this is what I would do for 3"

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...ode=sus_xj_kit

then relocate you track bar

for 1.5"-2.5" I would do this

front mad XJ coil spacers, cost about $10 to make them yourself... you can make them anywhere from 0.5"-as much as 4"

for the rear I would get a chevy lower shackle from superior automotive, it can be purchased at autozone, orielly's and advance auto parts for around $30

then make some simple shack extensions, around $10 in material

the relocate you track bar...

thats a 2" lift (or around there) for around $50

alternatively you could run front and rear springs from a XJ Country edition, that would gain you around 0.75"-1" of lift and then run spacers on top of that

here is my truck with a 3" Rough country lift and 33" tires, lots of rubbing, had to trim the fenders quite a bit

Last edited by ericfx1984; 02-24-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:17 PM
CF Veteran

Weird. My BDS lift kept the factory trac bar and its location IIRC.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:19 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Weird. My BDS lift kept the factory trac bar and its location IIRC.

yeah, people do it all the time, but if you measure it, your axle has shifted toward the drivers side of the truck...
Old 02-24-2011, 03:33 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ericfx1984
yeah, people do it all the time, but if you measure it, your axle has shifted toward the drivers side of the truck...
Uh....no?
Old 02-24-2011, 03:35 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 liter inline 6

I say go 3"......the difference between 2 and 3 is a good deal....the 2" BB seem like they are just a perky version of stock where the 3" actually look like you lifted it!!!
Old 02-24-2011, 03:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by kentuckyscott
I say go 3"......the difference between 2 and 3 is a good deal....the 2" BB seem like they are just a perky version of stock where the 3" actually look like you lifted it!!!

^^ this. Everyone I knew loved how my Heep looked with a 3" lift.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:41 PM
CF Veteran

Uh....no?
uh... yes...

if you lift an XJ and do not relocate the trackbar or replace with an adjustable it WILL pull the axle toward the drivers side... it is simple geometry

the track bar is mounted to the frame on the drivers side and to the axle on the passenger's side

as you lift the truck you are spacing the axle further away from the body, which in turn has the same effect as shortening the track bar...

on a 3" lift the axle will shift around 1/2" to as much as 3/4"

unless you installed a track bar bracket to correct this then your wheels are not tracking straight...

the higher you lift the truck the more you notice this... but again, just because you do not notice it does not mean it has not happened

they might not be off much... but it IS off ... just because you choose not to address the issue, or you are unaware of the issue does not mean that the issue is not there

Last edited by ericfx1984; 02-24-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:46 PM
CF Veteran

uh... yes...

if you lift an XJ and do not relocate the trackbar or replace with an adjustable it WILL pull the axle toward the drivers side... it is simple geometry

the track bar is mounted to the frame on the drivers side and to the axle on the passenger's side

as you lift the truck you are spacing the axle further away from the body, which in turn has the same effect as shortening the track bar...

on a 3" lift the axle will shift around 1/2" to as much as 3/4"

unless you installed a track bar bracket to correct this then your wheels are not tracking straight...

the higher you lift the truck the more you notice this... but again, just because you do not notice it does not mean it has not happened

they might not be off much... but it IS off ... just because you choose not to address the issue, or you are unaware of the issue does not mean that the issue is not there
I'm glad you think you know my Jeep better than I do...even though you've never seen it or been near it.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:14 PM
CF Veteran

I'm glad you think you know my Jeep better than I do...even though you've never seen it or been near it.
you jeep can not go against basic geometry I do not need to see it, it's just the nature of the front ends on our trucks... there is no way around it other than ignoring it

like I said it might be a very small shift but it HAS shifted, that just how it works

try this...

step 1) pull you jeep on to a level surface with your wheels straight

2.) disconnect your track bar at the axle mount

3.) force the body back and forth several times

4.) jump up and down on the bumper several times...

5.) repeat step 3

6.) slide the track bar back into place... you will notice that the bolt hold no longer lines up but that the track bar now sits off toward the drivers side in the case of your 3" it will likwly only be a minimal shift, around 1/2" (3/4" at the most)

bet you you try it

Last edited by ericfx1984; 02-24-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0

you jeep can not go against basic geometry

like I said it might be a very small shift but it HAS shifted, that just how it works

try this...

step 1) pull you jeep on to a level surface with your wheels straight

2.) disconnect your track bar at the axle mount

3.) force the body back and forth several times

4.) jump up and down on the bumper several times...

5.) repeat step 3

6.) slide the track bar back into place... you will notice that the bolt hold no longer lines up but that the track bar now sits off toward the drivers side

This little/nothing to do with the op's question. Lets try to stay on topic
Old 02-24-2011, 04:56 PM

I'm recommend the sky jacker 2 inch poly value lift kit. Skyjacker is a good brand I have the 8" lift it works great
Old 02-24-2011, 06:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L

Ive just done spacers and shackles on mine, the 2 inch lift even with 32s under it still looks stock untill you park next to a stock XJ.
Just a word of advice the back stock springs dont like this at all, Im doing mine properly when Ive got the coin
Old 02-24-2011, 07:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

I only have 2" lift, you need longer shocks/ and brake lines eventually.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/my-pit-73198/index2/

I have 265-75-16's, trimmed fenders, and am very pleased. The seat is just above my butt, and have to kinds raise up on my tippy toe to slide in. I paid $25 shipped for the front coil spacers, and $40 for greaseable rear shackles, but I need to put in 90 degree grease fittings to get to 'em.

Quick Reply: I am stuck on 2" or 3"