Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to run Wiring thru Relay?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 01:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default How to run Wiring thru Relay?

I'm trying to run lights on my stock rack and want to put them thru a relay. I feel it's a safe way and i have a little knowledge with wiring so i feel comfotable doin so. I ran my lights on my bumper together and wired them to a switch.I have no power accesorys but have spots that are hot in my fuse panel and wired the switch to that with a fuse in between the switch and fuse panel. No probs for well over 2 yrs now.

But now I want to put 4-5 lights on my stock rack and wire them in parallel to a relay, to my fuse block maybe with a fuse somewhere in there. Im not sure if im on the right plan of action tho. Power to relay from fuse block, Wire lights together to hook to power from relay, wire lights together for the same ground, Ground for relay, Wire switch to relay,ground for switch. DONE right? I mean there is no fuse in my plan so should there be???
Old 03-08-2011, 06:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997

You'll want to start with a heavy gauge wire, maybe 8ga should do for 4 lights, and wire it to either the battery or the Power Distributions block near the battery. Install an appropiate size fuse or circuit breaker in that wire as close to the battery as possible, not more than 12 inches away. Run this heavy wire to pin 30 of your realy(s) and jumper a small gauge wire from pin 30 to pin 86. Pin 87 will go out to each of your lights and each light should be grounded to the body. If you're running a ground wire out to the lights it should be at least as large a gauge at the power wire is. Pin 85 of your relay will go back to the switch, with the opposite side of the switch going to ground (theses can be small 18ga wires). If your switch has a light in it you will need to run a small power wire to the switch too. Hope that helps.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

Why jumper the relay. I kind of wanna do it right to avoid any eletrical problems later. It sounds ok I just don't want to fry my switch or light if at for any reason it wants to pull a lot of amps for a sec.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997

The activation coil is between pin 86 and 85, there's no real currnet draw there so you just need a small amount of power and trying to jumper more than an 18ga wire with an 8ga wire on pin 30 would be difficult.