Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to prep used fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default How to prep used fuel injectors

So I'm about to go hunting at a junk yard. Trying to find some 784 injectors of my own. I'm just curious as to how to prepare these for install on my xj. I found a cool site that showed all the dodge vehicles they put those injectors in.

People who sell them on this forum say "these injectors have been soaked in seafoam, new orings, ohm tested, etc" so how do I do all this? I mean, I'd love to support another forum member, but where's the fun of DIY?

I'll grab a bottle of seafoam, but is there any certain way to soak them? Any special technique?

How do I do a DIY ohm test? I am not about to go buy a special tester, so don't even try to mention that. There's got to be other ways.

What about orings? I can just go to the auto parts store and they'll have what I need, right? Thought so.

To go even further, how can I better clean the mini filter and pintile caps? This is really my main concern.

So in the middle of making this post I googled and found a video of a guy prepping a 703 swap for his xj lol. Tell me what you think about his method. This is definitely something I could do.

Attached Thumbnails How to prep used fuel injectors-image-1483589886.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Try this for some ideas:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/703...-i-made-64089/

I couldn't find anything syringey like that so I filled a spray bottle full of carb cleaner and used some vinyl hose that fit over the spray bottle and fuel injector ends.

"ohm-testing" means measuring resistance between the two pins of the injector. You should see 10-14 ohms on all of them. This is done with a common $10 multimeter.

Apparently some places sell kits that include pintle cap and basket filter, I've no idea though because I have the Ford injectors.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by salad
Try this for some ideas:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/703...-i-made-64089/

I couldn't find anything syringey like that so I filled a spray bottle full of carb cleaner and used some vinyl hose that fit over the spray bottle and fuel injector ends.

"ohm-testing" means measuring resistance between the two pins of the injector. You should see 10-14 ohms on all of them. This is done with a common $10 multimeter.

Apparently some places sell kits that include pintle cap and basket filter, I've no idea though because I have the Ford injectors.
I honestly thought OHM was an acronym for something. I have a multimeter, so that's some good news. I'll give your link a look at here, currently I'm in the middle of working on the xj at the moment.