Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how hard to pull doors off a 98

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 09:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default how hard to pull doors off a 98

Been wanting to pull the doors off my 98 since last year. And with the weather getting nice I really want to. I want to pull both front and rear doors off. I have automatic Windows and door locks so I know its a little harder but how hard is it to do and is it ok to do? Anyone have any links to threads of people doing it on post 97s
Old 03-12-2012, 09:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

theres a few links to 97+ doorless floating around. it IS a pain in the dick with power accessories and the new hinges. all four of mine are doorless-modded, you'll want to get new pins from your local hardware store to weld in where the old ones were. i plan on chopping up my power window/locks/mirror wires and soldering in some nice connectors that are easier to plug/unplug when popping the doors on and off.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 L I6

I did it. There is a great write up on jeepforum here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/a...s-97-a-444398/

I posted up how I did it in my build thread too, but you should tack weld in the new pins.

My front two doors can be removed in about 10 or 15 minutes. Kind of a pain with the connections since there are like 4 connectors you have to undo, so it might be nice to splice in one easier connection. But ya not really that bad once you have done it a couple times and definitely worth it. Oh and make sure your windows are all down before you remove the doors so you can carry them easier.

Last edited by gvns8; 03-12-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:44 PM

Engine: 4.0L

If you're worried about the wiring, you could always do the same thing I did with mine.. I used Grand Cherokee front door wiring harnesses (you can find it in here: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/wh...rs-off-111706/).

I can get all 4 doors off in under 5 minutes, and all back on only slightly longer.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cherokee9t8
If you're worried about the wiring, you could always do the same thing I did with mine.. I used Grand Cherokee front door wiring harnesses (you can find it in here: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/wh...rs-off-111706/).

I can get all 4 doors off in under 5 minutes, and all back on only slightly longer.
Dang that is good info I will have to do that. Did all four connectors have to come from a grand Cherokee drivers door?
Old 03-13-2012, 11:06 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by gvns8
Dang that is good info I will have to do that. Did all four connectors have to come from a grand Cherokee drivers door?
THats a great idea to do with the wires that he posted. I may try that. What do you do to stop the door sensor? that little black button thing on the door?
Old 03-13-2012, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepfreak1020

THats a great idea to do with the wires that he posted. I may try that. What do you do to stop the door sensor? that little black button thing on the door?
Extremely simple- you just pull the small black plug with 2 wires in the side panel next to the seat. However if you wanted I bet you could wire that into that grand Cherokee harness too.

But ya I would definitely do the door removal and maybe make some tube doors down the road or half doors.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:21 PM
CF Veteran

Extremely simple- you just pull the small black plug with 2 wires in the side panel next to the seat. However if you wanted I bet you could wire that into that grand Cherokee harness too.

But ya I would definitely do the door removal and maybe make some tube doors down the road or half doors.
ok im sure you could make like a push pin thing to push it in and stick. If that makes sence lol.

Ya im going to go look for those tomorrow at the junk yard, its been super nice here and I wana get them off lol. I will deff go half doors and make them look nice. I wana pull all 4 off and all 4 half doors
Old 03-13-2012, 11:58 PM

ok im sure you could make like a push pin thing to push it in and stick. If that makes sence lol.

Ya im going to go look for those tomorrow at the junk yard, its been super nice here and I wana get them off lol. I will deff go half doors and make them look nice. I wana pull all 4 off and all 4 half doors
That'll definitely be nice. I'd like to do the same with mine eventually ( i only got around to removing my front two doors) but way too many projects going on with mine right now and not enough time.

As far as the the lights question I guess I phrased it wrong. That little push pin thingy in the door sill doesn't even need to be touched. The wire to that runs down along that plastic cover along the door sill between the door and the seat and along the wire there is a plug in line on the wire which when you unplug disables all of the door open signals that turn the lights on. If I find a picture I'll post it up.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:10 AM
CF Veteran

o sweet I think I got you man. I dont understand why do you make the top hinge pin short and the bottom one long? why not make both of them long??
Old 03-14-2012, 12:14 AM
CF Veteran

The light switch button. THats what im thinking of man. what do you do about that??
Old 03-14-2012, 12:44 AM

Engine: 4.0

The light switch button. THats what im thinking of man. what do you do about that??
unscrew it and disconnect the wires.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0

o sweet I think I got you man. I dont understand why do you make the top hinge pin short and the bottom one long? why not make both of them long??
I made my top one short and bottom one long cause when i put the doors back on i align the bottom pin let it slide in a little bit then i put the top on in it helps me get the doors on easier
Old 03-14-2012, 09:21 AM

Honestly I used driver's connectors on both front doors, but only because the passenger door on the Grand Cherokee I came across was smashed in and I didn't want to fight to open it.. You will be okay with a driver's and passenger.

The rear doors on mine only used I think 7 wires each, so I didn't bother with Grand connectors there (I took the interior panels off and found that the rear door wiring ran down to a connector at the door sill, so I just cut the stock wiring and rearranged it so the connector was at the door jamb). The rear doors are easiest to work out since there's so few wires.

As for the button for the interior lights, I just left the connector unhooked for the front doors, but wired up the rear ones so they disconnect at the door jamb (I can take some pics if needed).
Old 03-14-2012, 09:30 AM

Part of the reason is as said, having a longer one at the bottom ans shorter one on top makes it alittle easier to align as you only have to line one up at a time. But the main reason is with the design of the door frame and hinges, you'd never have the room to lift the door off if you had a long pin in the top, it'd always hit at the window frame/door jamb area.

Quick Reply: how hard to pull doors off a 98