Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to fix body damage

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default How to fix body damage

Hi guys, I have a 2000 Jeep XJ, with some body issues. First off, I had a roof rack and spare tire attached to my factory luggage racks, but I can in an accident and slid off into a ditch. The luggage rails, along with roof rack and spare tire got ripped off the roof, so I now have a nice set of holes I need to patch up. Could these hold be patched by welding, or would my best option be to grind them flush and patch them myself using a sealant and a piece of metal? Second, I took my factory flares off, and I have some rust starting to form pretty bad due to the previous owner attaching them using sheet metal screws and some epoxy. I am not opposed to cutting and folding all of them, but is this side too much rust to chop off? I think the pictures got attached, but I would really appreciate your opinion!

This is the worst of the fenders.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 623 Likes on 465 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

if it was me and I wasn't looking for high quality work on the holes in the roof I would use a ball peen hammer to hammer them flush. then use some all-weather caulking with some plastic or rubber plugs to fill the holes. slobber some on, put the plug in, then slobber some more on.

that rear quarter panel might be hiding quite a bit more rust than what you can see from the outside. get out a screw driver and start poking around the outside and inside of the fender well. that will give you an idea of how bad the rust is. you can also get out the wire wheel and go to town on it to get an even better view
Old 03-30-2018, 11:16 AM

Thats what I am leaning towards also for the roof. I forgot to mention also that this summer the whole thing will be sanded, preped and monstalined. I am hoping that the combo of the plugs and sealant along with the heavy coats of bedliner will keep out the leaks. As for the rear quarter, I am plannin on pulling the bumper cap tomorrow and seeing how bad the damage is
Old 03-30-2018, 11:16 AM
CF Veteran

Good plan! keep us updated with pics
Old 03-30-2018, 11:23 AM

Thanks and I will do! I was reading online and it seems like plugging the holes is a fairly common fix! Bleepin Jeep used nickles and RTV on his, so it looks like I have some direction to go with. Also planning on re doing the bottom 1/4 in black monstaliner, and doing the rest in either a matte gray or matte tan monstaliner
Old 03-30-2018, 11:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee

If you want the roof done right, pull the headliner off and weld a patch to fill the hole. With the headliner off you can get to the backside if need be. The metal is thin so dont go too hot or you will burn thru it, and take it slow or it will warp. The 1/4 looks like surface rust but pull that bumper cap off as there is sure to be rust hiding behind that as well. The paint was starting to bubble back there on my 97 so i pulled the bumper cap off to find the panel was rotted thru. Poked at it with a screwdriver and 3/4 of it was sitting on the driveway by the time i was done. Took 1/2 the inner panel along with it.

Have fun.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:57 PM

I poked at the rust, at it is all surface rust, managed to knock off some paint. I realized that there is no way I am going to be able to see those spot welds to safely cut and fold, so the new plan is sand down, coat with POR 15, primer, and then monstaliner
Notice how this side is missing the actual bracket for the bumper clip to attach to! Going to sand down, Bondo, POR 15, and bedtime also. Going to run Napier flares I think, trying to decide between regular and flat
Old 04-03-2018, 04:49 PM
CF Veteran

pop the interior panels off and have a look from the inside.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
If you want the roof done right, pull the headliner off and weld a patch to fill the hole. With the headliner off you can get to the backside if need be. The metal is thin so dont go too hot or you will burn thru it, and take it slow or it will warp. The 1/4 looks like surface rust but pull that bumper cap off as there is sure to be rust hiding behind that as well. The paint was starting to bubble back there on my 97 so i pulled the bumper cap off to find the panel was rotted thru. Poked at it with a screwdriver and 3/4 of it was sitting on the driveway by the time i was done. Took 1/2 the inner panel along with it.

Have fun.
and have someone hold a piece of copper over the hole from the bottom while you weld from the top....will make filling in the holes much easier, as weld doesn't stick to copper, and you don't have to worry about the slag dripping thru

just make sure whoever is holding the copper is using pliers & gloves.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by TrailerTrash
pop the interior panels off and have a look from the inside.
Do you mean the interior plastic pieces? That’s a good idea
Old 04-06-2018, 09:20 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Engine: 4.0 L I6

Originally Posted by PoorMansWrangler

I removed mine and it was full of rust. I'm doing the same thing on mine but welding new fenders.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997

does your driver side front tire stick out that far, too?
Old 04-06-2018, 09:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PoorMansWrangler

You will probably find a bag of sound deadner/jute stuff laying in the bottom of each quarter behind the wheel.

Get that outta there! check all the drain holes to.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by s346k
does your driver side front tire stick out that far, too?
Yes it does.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Model: Cherokee

If you don't weld I would recommend Lexel for the holes instead of silicone or any other sealant.

http://www.sashco.com/products/lexel/

They really have some good products for other uses too. I work on buildings/houses a lot and like their products.

Quick Reply: How to fix body damage