Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do i put this lift in?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0 high output!
Default how do i put this lift in?

i bought a 3 inch budget lift its just an add a leaf and 3 inch spacers. i have never put a lift in before. i was told to drop the axle. my only problem is idk how to drop the axle. is it just the 2 u bolts and then that bolt that goes down through the leafs? or what all do i need to take off? also do i need any special tolls to do this? i got just a 3 ton jack and a some small car jacks is that gonna be good enough? i really would like to know what is needed and how to do it if anyone could help if u could just tell me how or have pics.

thanks,
Deon
Old 08-13-2011, 09:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: flux capacitor

If your asking about add a leafs then you just remove the u bolts/ sway bar in the rear. Its probably the easiest part of the whole lift installation. Do yourself a favor and go to a parts store and buy some pb blaster, (like wd40 only with ********* instead of a vagina) soak down all the fasteners you will be removing for the lift every day for 4 days before you start the install. A basic tool set will work. It will suck but yes it can be.done. you absolutly need a decent assortment of 1/2 drive sockets and a breaker bar the jacks you have will work fine.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:36 AM
CF Veteran

First of all I want to commend you for not being afraid to do this yourself.

First step, make sure you have standard tools, a set of Metric and Imperial sockets, ratchet and wrenches. Next find yourself a Chilton and/or Haynes manual and buy yourself a couple(2) cans of PB blaster and spray that on every single bolt you might need to take off.

Now for the most crucial step, join a club, buy some beer and offer it up to anyone willing to come help you with the install.

I did my first lift kit install by myself and let me tell you it was frustrating going "oh yeah I have to do this" then 5 seconds later "Why the hell isn't this coming off?" etc. After the first time its easy though.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:44 AM

Default just a little more

i guess i was askin how eactly do u drop the aXLE TAKE THE UBOLTS OFF AND THE BAR AND THEN ITS JUST GONNA FALL OFF? MY LITTLE CAR JACKS ONLY GO UP TO 18 INCHES I WAS TOLD THAT I NEED SOME 3 FOOT JACKSTANDS... I CANT FIND ANY 3 FOOT JACKSTANDS. sorry bout the caps lock
Old 08-13-2011, 09:48 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Baby D
i guess i was askin how eactly do u drop the aXLE TAKE THE UBOLTS OFF AND THE BAR AND THEN ITS JUST GONNA FALL OFF? MY LITTLE CAR JACKS ONLY GO UP TO 18 INCHES I WAS TOLD THAT I NEED SOME 3 FOOT JACKSTANDS... I CANT FIND ANY 3 FOOT JACKSTANDS. sorry bout the caps lock
Put stands under the Jeeps frame rails, unbolt the axle, jack up the body a little higher, raise the stands a bit to hold the vehicle and whala you can roll the axle out from under, or just screw around with the axle still there if you choose.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:06 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I did my aal without removing the Axle just jacked her up took off the tires and took the top leaf packs out .... left the bottom leaf on the jeep as the bolts did not want to come out .... had to get bigger u-bolts from parts store but used c-clamps to hold the leaf pack down and thightened up the center bolt a little at a time and keeping the c-clamps tight also till it was time to put on the new retaining clamps
Old 08-13-2011, 10:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by knuckleduster271
If your asking about add a leafs then you just remove the u bolts/ sway bar in the rear. Its probably the easiest part of the whole lift installation. Do yourself a favor and go to a parts store and buy some pb blaster, (like wd40 only with ********* instead of a vagina) soak down all the fasteners you will be removing for the lift every day for 4 days before you start the install. A basic tool set will work. It will suck but yes it can be.done. you absolutly need a decent assortment of 1/2 drive sockets and a breaker bar the jacks you have will work fine.
Lol, me and my friend almost died reading that PB blaster comment.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:03 AM

Default thanks guy

thanks guys for helpin it was pretty simple me and a couple of buddies got together and i got the rear done tonight in like 4 hours damn i should have sprayed them bolts down with that pb..... by the way nice description of pb blaster lol and tomorrow i am goin to post some pics when i get done with the front!!!
Old 08-24-2011, 01:26 AM

Default Thanx end result

11 freakin hours but i got her
Attached Thumbnails how do i put this lift in?-lifted.jpg  
Old 08-24-2011, 01:50 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0HO

WELL DONE!

now you need to do an alignment

all you need a tape measure and a pipe wrench...

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm
Old 08-24-2011, 01:54 AM

Default thanx

hey man thanks for that heads up. i thought i was gonna have to pay to do an alignment cause i couldnt figure out how to do one but with this link i can thanks man