Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hood vents and other ideas....

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 straight 6
Default hood vents and other ideas....

Hey forum....so im looking at putting hood vents on my 97 xj. My concerns are rain and snow. My xj sits outside...and am really worried about things getting wet under there. I was thinking about getting hood scoops like these http://m.summitracing.com/parts/sum-471104 and turning them backwords so they would look like two small cowls....and just cut two holes in the hood and cover them with the scoops...concerns with this idea would be heat. Im not sure if this idea would let the heat out as well as the hood vents. Any ideas?
Old 05-15-2015, 11:09 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Well, when you drive down the road in a rain storm, everything under the hood gets wet. So I'm not sure that moisture is really a concern.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix
Default Let it rain

Stainless louvre sections scavenged from scrapped commercial dishwasher machines.
#6 scews with nyloc nuts.
3.5 in hole saw
Measure your distances to avoid the under hood bracing.
Put a cardboard sheet over your motor to catch metal chips and avoid drilling thru any motor parts.
Measure twice and cut once.
Your underhood is exposed to the elements when you drive in rough weather, no problems here with a little damp if your motor electrics and ignitions are in good condition.
Attached Images      
Old 05-16-2015, 09:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Each to their own but I sure as hell wouldn't want water/snow/ice pouring straight down into my engine compartment. There are to many electrical connections in there not to have them covered.

Does water splash up there at times, sure but not as much as you think. There are much better vents that protect from the moisture entering and let it drain to the sides.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:52 AM

if you can drive it through a river some rain and snow wont hurt
Old 05-16-2015, 10:48 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 straight 6

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Each to their own but I sure as hell wouldn't want water/snow/ice pouring straight down into my engine compartment. There are to many electrical connections in there not to have them covered.

Does water splash up there at times, sure but not as much as you think. There are much better vents that protect from the moisture entering and let it drain to the sides.
My thoughts exactly. Thats why i was thinking about the scoops i posted in that link...and then popping a few holes in my hood...turning the scoops backwards like mini cowls ( so the open part of the scoop would be facing the windshield) and done. This would help protect from rain and snow, but i was unsure if this idea would allow heat to escape as well.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by dr.zoidberg
My thoughts exactly. Thats why i was thinking about the scoops i posted in that link...and then popping a few holes in my hood...turning the scoops backwards like mini cowls ( so the open part of the scoop would be facing the windshield) and done. This would help protect from rain and snow, but i was unsure if this idea would allow heat to escape as well.
that would be a fine solution and would work well
Old 05-16-2015, 05:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000

I would like to have this done to mine.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/co...ctures-177596/
Old 05-16-2015, 08:19 PM

Year: 99

http://rodlouvers.com/Jeep-XJ-Louvered-Aluminum-Hood-Bolt-On-cooling-panels-Cherokee-Comanche-louvers-P4921315.aspx
Old 05-16-2015, 09:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Ive had straight through hood vents (no drip pan) on mine for about 6 years. It also parks outside and we get feet of snow every year. Plenty of rain as well. On top of that, I do alot of creek/river crossings etc. and have water flow over my hood quite frequently. Ive never had a problem with anything.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: '95
Engine: 4.0 HO

hood vents and other ideas....-image-3117843834.jpg

No drip pans, no problem.

When I leave it sitting for long periods of time, I put 2 magnetic rectangles meant for covering up home air vents on top of it. $5 at Home Depot and peace of mind.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:23 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Chevy Lumina Z34 hood vents have drip pans, so you can at least decide where the water drains.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by extrashaky
Chevy Lumina Z34 hood vents have drip pans, so you can at least decide where the water drains.

Those were the ones I was thinking of with the drip pan, thanks for posting and have saw some homemade ones that did a good job also.

Another way to get some heat out is a few washer's in the hoods hinge bracket to raise it up at the back to let heat out.

To another poster some people fall in a pile of $hit and come out smelling like a rose, others don't fare as well.

I have had mine under water (not by choice) at times and can tell you its hard on a lot of things and causes many problems in the long run I know.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:22 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

BTW, those Z34 vents are considerably larger than they look in pics. Because of the location of the cross members in the hood, you're limited somewhat where you can put them and in what orientation. That's why mine are still sitting there on the floor and not in my hood yet. I haven't decided exactly how I'm going to orient them.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Those were the ones I was thinking of with the drip pan, thanks for posting and have saw some homemade ones that did a good job also.

Another way to get some heat out is a few washer's in the hoods hinge bracket to raise it up at the back to let heat out.

To another poster some people fall in a pile of $hit and come out smelling like a rose, others don't fare as well.

I have had mine under water (not by choice) at times and can tell you its hard on a lot of things and causes many problems in the long run I know.
I paid 20 bucks for some nice machined aluminum blocks from rockstar and they lift the back of the hood about and inch. Let's hot air out and haven't noticed any problems but time will tell.

Quick Reply: hood vents and other ideas....