Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homebrew Rear Tire Swing

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 06:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Homebrew Rear Tire Swing

Decided to take a shot at it with a really limited budget. I have a buddy that fabs steel for buildings and got me a length of 4" C channel and some scraps of 4 x 1/4 flat so I had a running start.

I bought at HD a short length of 3/4" and 1 1/2" black pipe and two 7" long 3/4" bolts as well as two 4' lengths 1 1/4 square tube. Cost about $70

First I cut out a pair of slugs 2 3/4 O.D. with 1" hole in the center from scrap 1/4" flat.

I made a set of mounting tabs from 1/4" scrap and cut 1.5" length of the 1.5" pipe and a 4.85" length of the 3/4" pipe. Parts for swivel looked like this.

Here it is assembled. The 1" hole saw made an almost prefect fit for the 3/4" pipe. The trick is square and even. If off by even a fraction it will bind as it rotates. The shims are spacers so after tacked to together it rotates freely even after bolt is tightened. I further carefully ground down the 3/4" a couple thousands to remove additional play.

Here's the swing arms assembled.

With a little graphite grease on the pivots it swung easy and smooth.
Complete and painted. Also added to parts a pair of D tabs from JCR for $29 plus ship, gerry can with holder for $75 plus ship and license plate bracket with light so total cost just about $200 even.

Not the prettiest work I've done but it is sturdy even with the weight of the tire and functional. With a dual swing I can open in my garage otherwise a full swing would have been tight.