Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Steer Question With Pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Inline 6
Default High Steer Question With Pics

Morning all. So after installing the Teraflex high steer knuckle and doing a new tie rod and drag link made out of Ruffstuff's 7/8" heims got it all dialed in. My Jeep was tracking straight steering wheel was perfectly straight. WELP went wheeling this past weekend and when I went to drive home the steering wheel is off to the driver side pointing at 10 o'clock. Also should note I did new ball joints (alloy USA HD ball joints) Now I am not blaming any of the noted companies I am just looking for my fellow Jeepers input. Can anyone give me an explanation as too what I am doing wrong, why does my steering wheel get turned to one side or the other after I go wheeling? In the attached pics you can see my steering setup as she sits today. the only other item I didn't mention is the steering ram is made by West Texas Offroad. All the hardware used was grade 8 3/4". For the mounting holes on the Teraflex knuckle I used sleeves with a 7/8" OD and a 3/4" ID so the hardware would fit correctly. Lastly its a Dana 30 HP axle. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails High Steer Question With Pics-img_1565.jpg   High Steer Question With Pics-img_4459.jpg   High Steer Question With Pics-img_4569.jpg   High Steer Question With Pics-img_4570.png   High Steer Question With Pics-img_4364.jpg  

Old 06-04-2018, 02:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

Why is your drag link under the knuckle ??

It looks to be awfully close to the tie rod.

Are you sure your steering box isn't moving, or the joint between it and the steering wheel is bad ?

It also looks like the bolt that connects the steering arm to the drag link isn't square to the arm.

Last edited by TRCM; 06-04-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

I was running this knuckle with the Tereflex tie rod and drag link with no problems for about 5 years. I changed two years ago to the WJ knuckle just for the brakes. There are two things I would check. Drag link if it is adjustable and see if it has come loose and the drag link to see if it has come loose. Those jam nuts need to be pretty tight. One other thing. The first time I wheeled the Tereflex knuckle, 105 miles off road. Both my track bar mounts were toast and I trashed the whole thing and built something much stronger
Old 06-04-2018, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by TRCM
Why is your drag link under the knuckle ??

It looks to be awfully close to the tie rod.

Are you sure your steering box isn't moving, or the joint between it and the steering wheel is bad ?

It also looks like the bolt that connects the steering arm to the drag link isn't square to the arm.

Do you think the drag link should be on top? Looking around online I found 50% of the time people went under and the other half went over. could that make a difference you think? The drag link and tie rod don't make contact at all.

I have check the steering box for play.. nothing.. frame is solid with JKS frame plating welded on. as for the joint between the box and steering wheel I have the borgeson steering shaft that is less then a year old.

As for the bolt not looking square that must just be the angle of the dangle each one of those bolts are torqued down to about 8o ft lbs with top lock nuts to secure each bolt
Old 06-04-2018, 03:01 PM
CF Veteran

I have done it both ways. It makes no difference. The real chore is getting your drag link parallel. If you can figure that out, then put it wherever you want
Old 06-04-2018, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
I was running this knuckle with the Tereflex tie rod and drag link with no problems for about 5 years. I changed two years ago to the WJ knuckle just for the brakes. There are two things I would check. Drag link if it is adjustable and see if it has come loose and the drag link to see if it has come loose. Those jam nuts need to be pretty tight. One other thing. The first time I wheeled the Tereflex knuckle, 105 miles off road. Both my track bar mounts were toast and I trashed the whole thing and built something much stronger
Thanks for the reply. I will check those 2 things out tonight. If my track bar mounts are shot do you think I would get death wobble? after I wheel and the steering wheel is off to one side it still tracks true its just the steering wheel is off
Old 06-04-2018, 03:05 PM
CF Veteran

Well, I admit I came down off the mountain with death wobble at 27 mph
Old 06-04-2018, 03:17 PM

I just want to figure this steering issue out. it drives me nuts
Old 06-04-2018, 03:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

Originally Posted by lifted96xj.ricky
Do you think the drag link should be on top? Looking around online I found 50% of the time people went under and the other half went over. could that make a difference you think? The drag link and tie rod don't make contact at all.

I have check the steering box for play.. nothing.. frame is solid with JKS frame plating welded on. as for the joint between the box and steering wheel I have the borgeson steering shaft that is less then a year old.

As for the bolt not looking square that must just be the angle of the dangle each one of those bolts are torqued down to about 8o ft lbs with top lock nuts to secure each bolt

It probably doesn't matter if it doesn't hit, but all the ones I've seen have it on top...as putting it on top makes the angle the steering arm joint and the knuckle joint sees less (and the track bar flatter).