Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

high steer write up: anyone got one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 07:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default high steer write up: anyone got one?

Does anyone have a high steer install write up? given that you replace hte knuckle im assuming hte ball joints would be wise to replace at the same time (as mine have play in them, contributing to my DW). Or even a ball joint write up my chiltons sucks haha. Im not so sure id be able to handle doing this job i fear, so maybe be best left to my mechanic, i dont have a press or welder or any of that fancy stuff.

Also would highsteer help out with my DW? Im assuming so since its makes hte steering tighter....
Old 05-28-2008, 09:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

all high steer does is exactly what the name implies, makes your steering higher. allowing for better drag link and trackbar angles (when you raise the trackbar with it) as well as getting the tie rod out of harms way.

the only way to get hi steer on a dana30 that i know of is through a bolt on kit including custom machined knuckles. Im not sure of who makes these as i never shopped around for dana30 hi steer.

ball joints are easy enough to do at home, just rent a ball joint press for free at autozone.

step 1: jack up axle
2:remove tires
3:remove brakes
4:remove hub unit and shaft by 3, 13mm 12 point bolts, (might take some beating to remove)
5: unbolt ball joints, remove knuckle, remove clips and press them out with handy dandy ball joint press you rented
6: reverse the above
Old 05-28-2008, 09:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

you can use goferit flip inserts or the JCR kit.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

jcr is utk

and trackbar mount modification(removal and rewelding) is needed when going to an otk setup unless of course you enjoy bumpsteer
Old 05-28-2008, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by ktmracer419
jcr is utk

and trackbar mount modification(removal and rewelding) is needed when going to an otk setup unless of course you enjoy bumpsteer
http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=S6

What about that? I was under the impression that the same knuckles were used?
Old 05-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Seasoned Member

yea high steer, both currie and teraflex, i beleive come with ONE new knuckle. you dont need 2, but yea its gives youa new knuckle tie rod and like drag link or watever. but will this help out with my death wobble though i think because it will stiffen up the steering so everythings a bit tighter. Its hte loosness that causes death wobble, though its usually attributed to like track bar bushings, ball joints, etc.....
Old 05-28-2008, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TnT makes a 1-ton over the knuckle steering system as well. Theirs allows you to keep your original knuckles but you have to ream them to a new size to accept the new tie-rod ends.

As far as solving problems with DW, I won't say that it will solve it, but it will probably help because you will have all new ends and better steering geometry. This doesn't account for worn ball-joints, bad alignment, etc.

I'm running it and my steering is much tighter.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:54 PM
Seasoned Member

yea thats waht im saying is that DW is attributed to a lot of things, steering geometry is DEFINITLY a factor. i only have 4.5" of lift but im thinking it will still be a good idea. Plus my steering is a tad loose, and my TREs ( i believe thats them) are popping when im backing out of my parking spot and stuff so them and the ball joints will all need replacing. Is hte 1 ton steering you speak of heavier duty than the teraflex or currie stuff?
Old 05-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Seasoned Member

wow. after looking into more write ups and such there so much talk of WJ brakes and s10 caliper and reaming welding and drilling im just scared! now im thinking i might just scrap the idea, ugh but i just put in new wheel bearings in the front. ugh it never ends, perhaps ill just have to deal with my slippery steering
Old 05-28-2008, 01:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Or just use the WJ Knuckles. Than you have high steer with out all the other BS...
Old 05-28-2008, 01:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

And heres a write up on that swap...

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/bra...kles/index.htm
Old 05-28-2008, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by dabeast727
wow. after looking into more write ups and such there so much talk of WJ brakes and s10 caliper and reaming welding and drilling im just scared! now im thinking i might just scrap the idea, ugh but i just put in new wheel bearings in the front. ugh it never ends, perhaps ill just have to deal with my slippery steering
Or you could be lazy as I am and go with a currie setup. It bolts right up and is much stronger then stock.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Seasoned Member

currie bolts right up? are you sure? do you have abs or drop brackets or an LP30 or anything else differnt from me i should know about? hows it work like does it attatch to the steering knuckel and you have to drill tap it or does it come with a new one or waht?
Old 05-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Seasoned Member

looking under my jeep, i can see how hte front tires can tow in and out on the road due to how the y-link on the tie rod flexes, looks like currie has the same set up. im looking for something that will be a staight across bar for the front, doesnt need a whole lot of clearance though some would be nice. im still looking but i just cant think of an economical way to do this.... all the rest is so expensive.

the JCR looks like a great kit, looks like it uses stock XJ knuckles but puts the tie rod above it? and also appears to nearly get rid of hte y-link type stuff, but i think it still operatres on the same principle just a much less terrible angle...I like that i can reuse the regular knuckles so i dont have to take those off, just ream them, but what about this track bar and coil mount modification?
Old 05-28-2008, 09:08 PM

Yes the currie is an under the knuckle simple bolt up, everything bolts up 100%.

Quick Reply: high steer write up: anyone got one?