Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High beams won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default High beams won't turn off

I recently bought some led headlights (trucklite knockoffs) off Amazon. The brand is Vosicky (about a third of the price of trucklite) and they got good reviews that said they were plug and play, so I took a chance on them. They come on fine, but the high beams won't turn off. The high beam indicator on the dash is faintly lit when lights are on, and it lights fully when high beams are selected. I swapped out the switch in the column and there was no change. I removed the fog light relay as suggested by the product question section, and that didn't help...

Any suggestions, or is my XJ just being it's usual difficult self? Thanks!
Old 08-18-2017, 02:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

This is a common issue when installing the H4 headlight harnesses.

I can't recall the exact issue but IIRC it has to do with the circuit that shuts the fog lights off when the high beams come on.

There is a way to jump wires to correct this issue and keep your fog lights but for the short term just pull your fog light relay.

Unless you don't have fog lights. If that's the case, I'm of no assistance.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:13 PM

I tried that with no luck.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

SUPPOSEDLY one of the ways to fix the issue is also a way to mod the fogs to stay on with the brights. its to bend a pin on the relay.

the TRUE way to fix it involves cutting a smaller wire out of one of the headlight plugs and splicing it so another, but i cant remember exactly which one it is. looked simple enough.

Of course on my XJ the fog switch's wiring is disconnected (the 'output' power wiring broke at the connector) and so my fogs dont work, but the headlights still dim and brighten normally. I have a harness installed but still sealed beams.

Id say to duplicate my 'condition' by pulling the center console bezel, then unscrew the plate around the switches and disconnect the wiring from the fog switch. Then id assume it should function normally. If not id look elsewhere.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 5.7L LS1

Yes there is a wire you can cut to get rid of the fog light circuitry but it may not solve your problem completely. The wire is a small jumper located behind the drivers side headlight just aft of the headlight plug (it is present in some vehicles regardless of whether or not you actually have fog lights). It is used to cutout the fog lights when the hi-beam is in use and has a small amount of voltage always present in the circuit. The problem is that LED headlights run at a much lower wattage than standard halogen bulbs. The small amount of voltage through the bright circuit is not enough to illuminate a halogen but plenty to turn on a LED.

In my case just modifying the wiring did not completely solve my problem. I still had a small amount of voltage present in the headlight circuit with the lights off which would strangely cause one single LED in one headlight to illuminate anytime the vehicle was on. Whether that stray voltage was due to the design of the wiring or possibly a small short due to the age of the vehicle I have no idea.

Both of the above issues can be resolved with the installation of a headlight harness. The Putco one is a popular mod but I just made my own running the low beams and high beams through their own relay. The stray voltage is not enough to activate the relay therefore no issue.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 5.7L LS1

If you are just going to try cutting the jumper on the factory harness, I think it does have to be spliced into another wire for the fogs to work correctly but unfortunately I cannot remember off hand. You may need to do some trial and error with a volt meter.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

It's on post#4:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/hea...roblem-236180/
Old 08-25-2017, 09:46 PM

Default Didn't Mention Before, Probably Nothing (probably)

I had HID headlights before (I switched because I couldn't find a "true sealed beam" housing) and the light was bright as the sun, but the light washed out. The high beam indicator light was faintly lit with those too. That's the reason I switched to the LEDs. I noticed my driver side front blinker is acting up as well. The bulbs are LED, but I have load resistors on them. They flash like wig wags every once and awhile. Everything else works, and does so well.

Thank you all for your expertise!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2018, 06:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0
Default Pull the square fuse

Pull the fog light fuse in the under hood breaker box. It is a large square box looking thing. It may actually be a relay I don't know but that should work
Old 03-02-2022, 11:14 PM

disregard

Last edited by HillbillyLes; 03-02-2022 at 11:19 PM.