Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hidden wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default hidden wiring question

when you guys mount/mounted lights on roof rack or overhead how did/do you run the wires. i am wanting to keep mine hidden. any pics of your course of action
Old 10-14-2011, 10:33 PM

Year: 2000

Bump I'm curious on this too
Old 10-15-2011, 12:18 AM

Year: 2001

Aside from drilling a hole in the roof (which I refuse to do), I've seen people run their wiring flush along the inside rail of their luggage rack to the back, then run it into the top of the back hatch, and under the trim from there. I know that's how I'm gonna attack the situation when I install my lights.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:22 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

My wiring runs from the switch to a relay under the instrument cluster, up the drivers A-pillar and under the headliner to the...........wait for it. Hole in the roof. Running wires through the roofs not really a big deal if done correctly.
My solution was to use insulated 3 strand wire (think heavy extension cord) obviousely only two wires of the three were used (power & ground) but the insulated wires fit tightly in the grommet I planned to use going throught the roof and made me a little less worried about water getting in. Once the wiring was all completed I sealed around the wiring/grommet with caulking made to assemble aquariums and a year and a half later I've encountered no problems with leaks. I also chose to drill my hole so it sat under the end cap of the roof rack rails for whatever tiny little bit of protection it might provide as well as to keep a really clean look.
I completely understand everyones apprehension with drilling through their roof, I must have stood and stared at the bit resting on my roof for 5 minutes and wondering if I was insane before getting the nerve to pull the trigger. When all was said and done I was very happy with the result.
Attached Thumbnails hidden wiring question-dscf0146.jpg   hidden wiring question-dscf0147.jpg  
Old 10-16-2011, 08:12 AM

Year: 1999

Very nice work! I was looking for an idea before putting lights on my roof rack. Thanks
Old 10-16-2011, 08:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V8

Cop cars and ambulances do it all the time. Protected location a grommet and silicone is all it takes.

Ron
Old 10-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Originally Posted by Desert Rat
My wiring runs from the switch to a relay under the instrument cluster, up the drivers A-pillar and under the headliner to the...........wait for it. Hole in the roof. Running wires through the roofs not really a big deal if done correctly.
My solution was to use insulated 3 strand wire (think heavy extension cord) obviousely only two wires of the three were used (power & ground) but the insulated wires fit tightly in the grommet I planned to use going throught the roof and made me a little less worried about water getting in. Once the wiring was all completed I sealed around the wiring/grommet with caulking made to assemble aquariums and a year and a half later I've encountered no problems with leaks. I also chose to drill my hole so it sat under the end cap of the roof rack rails for whatever tiny little bit of protection it might provide as well as to keep a really clean look.
I completely understand everyones apprehension with drilling through their roof, I must have stood and stared at the bit resting on my roof for 5 minutes and wondering if I was insane before getting the nerve to pull the trigger. When all was said and done I was very happy with the result.

very nice work. where did you get the grommet you used??? is this something i can pick up at hardware store? i think that is the route i am going to take and thats what i wanted to initially do. did you have to remove that end cap to dril the hole?? that is some really slick work. i like it
Old 10-16-2011, 09:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 litre

I did something similar. I used extension cord and went through the fire wall. Up the back side of the dash. Then up the a pillar under the headliner then in a hole in the roof to a trailer connector.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:45 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by cball917
very nice work. where did you get the grommet you used??? is this something i can pick up at hardware store? i think that is the route i am going to take and thats what i wanted to initially do. did you have to remove that end cap to dril the hole?? that is some really slick work. i like it
I picked up the grommet at the hardware store. And yes, the cap had to be removed for drilling. Be patient & take your time and you'll be happy with the results.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:55 AM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Originally Posted by Desert Rat
I picked up the grommet at the hardware store. And yes, the cap had to be removed for drilling. Be patient & take your time and you'll be happy with the results.
Just thought I would follow up with ya. I basically copied your install. Took my time. Had major rainstorm2 days after install and no leaks. My harness came a little farther back so I put hole in rails and ran wire up through there to hole with grommet. Turned out great you can only see wires at lights
Old 11-06-2011, 07:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Moved to Advanced Tech.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 high output

then I ran it inside along the pillar and into the fender/ engine bay.

i ran the wire behind the door seal

Last edited by xjheep92; 11-06-2011 at 08:08 AM.