Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help installing grounding kit.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Registered Users

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Help installing grounding kit.

I ordered a grounding kit from Kellyswip.com. Its agreat kit but the instruction links don't work on the sit!

I have a complete kit but have no idea where things go since I have 2 optional grounds & an ANL kit! I'd love to install this thing but can't without help or instructions!
Any advice guys? I ordered the RXJ-242-F which is the best of the best I guess...its going into my 1988 jeep cherokee.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Got yer PM, answered your emails, and you should now have instruction sheets again (they should have come with your invoice the first time, I try to make sure to send them.)

I do know the doc links on the site are broken - I lost a lot of space when I had to change hosts, and I've been trying to get to work on a site reorg (but medical matters have kept me busy. Should be clearing up now...)

The short (10" or so) ground with the 1/4" lug on the end is the chassis ground, the shorter of the two longer grounds would be the ground for the alternator case. I detailed how to install them when I answered your email, but I don't think I mentioned that it's helpful to clean the contact patches for all grounds (to the chassis) down to bare metal, apply corrosion inhibitor on assembly, and replace screws PRN.

NB: Corrosion inhibitor is not dielectric grease, and is very much not WD-40! You can find electrical corrosion inhibitor at your local hardware store, electrical section, if you didn't order any from me. You do not need a large clean patch - usually, a postage stamp-sized patch will more than serve.

Most of the sheetmetal screws are #10 tapping, the chassis end of the firewall grounds strap takes M8-1.25x20m/m.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Registered Users

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gonna do a write on this so its easier for future customs. Now that I looked the stuff over I understand what you were saying Jon. At first I was confused but now I see the light

My writeup should help everyone but I'm doing this on a renix so of course there will be differences!
Old 10-07-2011, 06:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by Kamaran
I'm gonna do a write on this so its easier for future customs. Now that I looked the stuff over I understand what you were saying Jon. At first I was confused but now I see the light

My writeup should help everyone but I'm doing this on a renix so of course there will be differences!
They're not as different as you'd think - the PDC replaces the starter motor relay, and ChryCo has the chassis ground as OEM (and generally doesn't need the alternator ground, the OEM subharness has a supplemental alt ground already.)

I'm glad I could help - and I'll be interested in seeing what you come up with, since my instructions are always subject to revision. Ergo, I may talk to you about your writeup later (and I'm glad you finally could find the attachments I'd sent...)