Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with 4.5 RC lift, rear leaf spring

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Help with 4.5 RC lift, rear leaf spring

Hey, I looked at the forums and didn't see a fix for this problem. Ok, I have a 98 xj, got a 4.5in lift, started with removing the rear leaf springs, passenger side came off with the angle grinder, the the driver side...well, I couldn't fit the angle grinder in the front part of the leaf and had a neighbor move the leaf spring left, right, up , down, and then it popped out. Well, here's the problem, we bent the nut that sits next to the frame I'm not sure how to fix this, the gas and break lines run on this side and I'm stumped!

Any help would be very appreciated!

Caleb
Old 04-07-2011, 12:39 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by calebini

Any help would be very appreciated!

Caleb

a picture would really help
Old 04-07-2011, 12:48 AM

I posted from my iPhone and it wont let me access pictures from it. I'll upload some pictures tomorrow, maybe even take a video and post to YouTube...
Old 04-07-2011, 02:45 AM

Year: 1992

are u talking about the nut that is in the frame where the front eye of the leaf spring is?? if you are you going to have to cut a hole where the nut is and try to bend it back. If you cant bend it back, turn the nut and brake the weld on it. and slid the bolt threw the hole and hold the nut with a wrench and then just patch the hole back up its very easy to do. I just recently did it on my 92. It sucks that you have to cut the hole but its going to have to be done.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:18 AM

Thats correct, it's the front part of the leaf spring. The thereds in the nut are shot too...

When you say I need to cut a hole where the nut is, how did you do that with the othe part of the bracket only a few inches away?Where the bolt feeds through first.

Do you suggest I get someone off craigslist that knows how to weld? Or are there kits I can buy to fix this myself.

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it!
Old 04-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

not sure what you mean really but on the 1st page of my build I have lots of pictures of me having a tough time with leaf bolts. haha

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/my...ong-way-44974/
Old 04-07-2011, 11:01 AM

Right underneath where the nut is just cut a hole to get to it. Its not necessarly the frame, its the beaker that's connected to the frame. I will post a picture tomorrow morning when I get off work. If u get a peace of steel u can take it to a shop. I would think they would charge u much to cap that hole.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:04 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0HO

Originally Posted by srhcherokee24
Right underneath where the nut is just cut a hole to get to it.
iirc you can get to it by removing the rear bumper... or is the OP talking about the front leaf spring eye bolt
Old 04-07-2011, 12:22 PM

Front leaf spring eye bolt, at work right now, when I get home today I'll post some pictures, I might be able to take a video, post to YouTube, and put the link on here too...

Update - I posted a link on YouTube of the issue...check it out

Last edited by calebini; 04-07-2011 at 09:58 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-08-2011, 04:53 AM

Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by calebini
Front leaf spring eye bolt, at work right now, when I get home today I'll post some pictures, I might be able to take a video, post to YouTube, and put the link on here too...

Update - I posted a link on YouTube of the issue...check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvROWE7C-Hw

OOOOOOO its that bolt yea ur gunna have to pull ur carpet up in the rear and do sum messurements and drill a hole thru your floor board that is the best way but make sure u seal that hole back up or put a rubber plug in it

that brian guy has an excellent thread on this he fought it the whole way but awesome thread
Old 04-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994

buy a shorter bolt thread it in to the nut from the inside of the "U" Where the spring would be and heat it up and make it straight again by hammering the bolt.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:10 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 87

Have had this happen several times. There are 2 ways to fix it. one is to access the nut from the bottom, by drilling a hole in the bottom of the frame rail. The other is to access it from the inside of the frame rail. It all depends on what is left holding the nut in place.

I prefer the inside frame rail trick.. I use a 1.5 inch hole saw. gives you plents of room to work. I wouldnt wled it back in.. just incase you ever have to remove it again.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994

Originally Posted by PingPong
Have had this happen several times. There are 2 ways to fix it. one is to access the nut from the bottom, by drilling a hole in the bottom of the frame rail. The other is to access it from the inside of the frame rail. It all depends on what is left holding the nut in place.

I prefer the inside frame rail trick.. I use a 1.5 inch hole saw. gives you plents of room to work. I wouldnt wled it back in.. just incase you ever have to remove it again.
that part is like added to the unibody i just cut a slot right below the nut and got a torch up in there burned off the old nut then when i got the new spring . nut. and bolt in i tacked the nut and welded the hole shut so its pretty much like it was new
Old 04-10-2011, 12:02 AM

Thats where i cut the hole. I cut two, one to get the old nut out and the reason for the othere one is, I put a longer bolt and put the nut on the inside of the the frame for added stangth