Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! 4.5" lift for noob

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Question HELP! 4.5" lift for noob

new to the forum world and looking for some help/advice.
I have never had the privilege of changing suspension on a vehicle and I have recently picked up a 88 xj and am dying to mod it up. Im really into doing and making things myself if at all possible.
So where I need help...
I am looking to do a 4.5" lift on my stock jeep but I am wanting to build all the parts that I can myself and only have to purchase a few things.
First of all what all parts do I need to do a 4.5" full suspension lift if I were to purchase seperately?
What all parts could I fabricate and not have to buy?

I really apreciate all and any help. and look forward to be out wheeling!
Thx
Old 01-09-2012, 11:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 242CID I-6

just get on rough country, sky jacker, ect and look and see what their packages are and what you want because there are a lot ways to go.

depends on what you are useing it for pavement pounder you dont need long arms. kinda see what i am saying.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:44 AM

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

What are your fabrication skills?
access to tools and material?
springs and shocks are really the only thing you can't fab up from just steel
as for stuff you can make that would be control arms, track bar, sway bar links if you wanna keep it and a few other odds and ends
oh and a sye it you have a complete disdain for tc drops

Last edited by Kuro89; 01-10-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:08 AM

jhampton-
In all reality this jeep will probably be a DD for the most part BUT Id really enjoy having the option to doing some good trailing and have a decent articulation for when I do get off the pavement. Im just always wanting to save some coin and make it myself if possible. Theres a greater satisfaction knowing I made it and it works. you know?
but yea thanks for your input and help!

Kuro89-
Im by no means the best but with enough time I do a pretty decent job. I already built a roof rack and am soon starting on a front and rear bumper.
I am slowly building a decent tool collection but I have a lot of family and friends with a great selection so tools should be covered and materials I can obtain.
As for the parts I can fab up, do you know where I can get specs on each item?

Thanks again for all the help guys!!!
Old 01-10-2012, 01:17 AM

then for your lift you should just try your hand at fabbing up some short arms and a simple track bar, alot of companies sell builder parts like bushing ends and threaded tube adapters just all the little pieces that it takes for what most companies sell.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 242CID I-6

Originally Posted by Kuro89
then for your lift you should just try your hand at fabbing up some short arms and a simple track bar, alot of companies sell builder parts like bushing ends and threaded tube adapters just all the little pieces that it takes for what most companies sell.
That's where I would start
Old 01-10-2012, 10:36 AM

ok great. ill have to see what I can find.
thanks for the help guys!
Old 01-10-2012, 12:42 PM

Any one by any chance have a 4-4.5" lift theyd like to sell???
Old 01-10-2012, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Blue88XJ
Any one by any chance have a 4-4.5" lift theyd like to sell???
check the for sale section
Old 01-10-2012, 05:56 PM

ahh duh! thanks for dealing with my complete noobness
Old 01-10-2012, 10:04 PM

Year: 88
Engine: 4.0l

I have an 88 as well - with a ton of fabrication/modifications - take a look for ideas, then post up your pics when get where you want to be... and have fun!!
Old 01-11-2012, 01:30 PM

Engine: 4.0

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...udget_Lift.htm

Hey, this setup is cheaper than buying a lift kit at 4.5, but i very strongly suggest buying new parts... I went to advanced and bought new coils, online to rustys to buy 4.5 leafs (didn't want to mess with bastard packs) and shocks from ebay. now I am putting in longer LCAs, and I didn't need a TC drop or SYE. It really depends on the jeep, but in reality the 88's were borderline at 4.5, and i believe the newer is around 3 you need SYEs. Again, check driveline Vibes after installing lift. And also, buy good shocks, like Rough Country. Not a point going cheap and replacing in 2 weeks...lol.

This website has pics on top that show a real life difference. I will have to look pics.
Attached Thumbnails HELP! 4.5" lift for noob-cherokee.jpg  
Old 01-19-2012, 11:14 PM

XSXJ-
Dude that is SICK! Id be more than happy to have mine turn out performing half that good but I def want it to look that good!

CPLSeraphim-
Thanks for the input!
In this last week I have put some hours in trying to research as much as I could about lift kits. Whether it would be difficult or not to build my own. Whether or not I would benefit in the long run to save a few bucks and build a JY lift or just purchase a new complete lift kit. and well, I have come to the conclusion that since I neither have the area, tools and experience I would benefit most from purchasing a new lift kit. That way I know it will hold up over time compared to used worn out JY parts.

But unfortunately spending that kinda money will have to wait. A few nights ago I picked up a 87 xj I6 4.0 with a 4" lift (I got it from a kid and he beat...the...****...out of it) and today I removed some TERRIBLE light wiring jobs that criss crossed and looped everywhere and now I cant get it to fire up its just cranking and cranking. I was careful to trace every wire before making any cuts or removing any wire. After removing all the light wiring I saw one last ****ty wiring job and couldn't trace it very well so I unplugged it from the fuze box where they had it plugged in and started the the engine. While the motor ran flawlessly i noticed that the aftermarket tack on the dash was no longer working and that the running/clearance lights on the roof were not powered on as they usually are when the ignition is on. so I plugged the wire back in and both started working and then I shut the ignition off. I came back to it and went to start it up again and all it would do is turn over.
I didn't have a lot of time before it got dark but I tested for spark and had great spark at the spark plug end of the wire and I checked for fuel in the rail and have pressure. but tomorrow Ill have to do a more in depth diagnosis. Hopefully the it wont snow tonight and hopefully the weather will hold off for at least a few hours tomorrow so I can get something figured out. Our winter is coming a month or two later than normal this year in Oregon, which should be great now that I have a jeep I can off road, but now it wont run....
Old 01-20-2012, 01:14 AM

Engine: 4.0

That makes sense, and yeah, i bought the parts all new, cost more, but you know, rather be safe.

Good luck with the new Jeep and the old one.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:15 PM

Well got my starting issue figured out on my 87xj. I guess when I was removing some wires I must have bumped the C101 connector plug and it must have lost conection with all that 24 year old tar crap thats packed into it. so I cleaned it out and added some dielectric grease and plugged it back in and she fired right up!
now on to a few other repairs and hopefully ill have time to hit the mountain before all the snow melts away!