Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Upgrade ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Headlight Upgrade ??

Ok guys, I know I'll probably get a lot of "use the search bar" responses but that is ok.

I've been needing a headlight upgrade (as I'm sure many of you do too) and was looking into hid's but it seems like more than I need for more cost than I would like to spend for the good ones, I'm sure the ebay ones work for some people but I really don't feel like having to possibly worry about something not working out right.

I've seen people upgrade to a non encloses headlight with new h4 bulbs and upgrading wiring.

My questions are what is the advantage to doing this upgrade over just getting some silverstars or something like that? The fully enclosed silverstars are h4's also. Does wiring NEED to be upgraded if upgrading to the non enclosed or is it just helpful?

Sorry for the long post. Any info will be helpful and any links to upgrading headlights without doing hid's would also be helpful. Thanks guys
Old 03-22-2011, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Here's my HIDs. They are Xentec 6000k Bi-xenon H4 HIDs with Diamond cut 7x6" projector lens housings. If you need any tips, hit me up.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

are these an ebay special? i have been tempted to do this upgrade, i know there are kits for around $90 that have the whole upgrade with the ballasts and all. does anyone have experience with these?... not to high jack the post... but it seemed to apply.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:17 PM

Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

eautoworks has a cheap upgrade harness that will brighten up even your stock headlights. under $30 and would work even better with better headlights
Old 03-22-2011, 08:20 PM

Year: 1989

Originally Posted by Eric1080
eautoworks has a cheap upgrade harness that will brighten up even your stock headlights. under $30 and would work even better with better headlights
Do you have a link?

Brandon
Old 03-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Seasoned Member

High jack all you want. Im just trying to get a little more info on the topic
Old 03-22-2011, 10:23 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by btm24
Do you have a link?

Brandon
http://www.eautoworks.com/product-eA...com-189849.htm

I run that harness with autopal(ebay) h4 conversion:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/200mm...Q5fAccessories

And 55/100w bulbs, soon to be 80/100w bulbs.
Best upgrade so far for sure.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by jmm0122
http://www.eautoworks.com/product-eA...com-189849.htm

I run that harness with autopal(ebay) h4 conversion:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/200mm...Q5fAccessories

And 55/100w bulbs, soon to be 80/100w bulbs.
Best upgrade so far for sure.
I like this setup. So if i get the 100/55w bulbs the low beams will be legal but the high won't?

and anyone got good links on properly adjusting this setup, I dont want to blind anyone.

And I still don't understand why getting a setup like this would be better than enclosed silverstars with a new harness

Last edited by jaredsmith.tx; 03-24-2011 at 01:33 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:33 AM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by jaredsmith.tx
I like this setup. So if i get the 100/55w bulbs the low beams will be legal but the high won't?

and anyone got good links on properly adjusting this setup, I dont want to blind anyone.

And I still don't understand why getting a setup like this would be better than enclosed silverstars with a new harness
Yes the lows are legal and the hi's are not. I ran the silverstars and the difference is like night and day. What do you mean by properly adjust the setup? As long as you haven't adjusted the headlights in the past the factory adjustment should be fine.

Here is a writeup on the harness:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/hd...rite-up-11306/
Old 03-24-2011, 06:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: ERH 4.0L 16 Power Tech

Ok guys, I know I'll probably get a lot of "use the search bar" responses but that is ok.

I've been needing a headlight
Hi Jared, I recently got the Hella H4 with 60/55 lamps. I purchased the upgrade loom but have not installed it as I'm waiting for the battery cables and charging system upgrade I ordered from Kelley's Works In Progress a few weeks ago.

The passenger side sealed beam went south a few days ago so I did install the H4's with out the upgrade harness and it made an incredible difference. I never would have believed H4's would cause that quantity of illumination gain. If your stock sealed beams are adjusted properly there is no need to adjust after installing the Hellas. No problems with the stock harness so far.

Tim
Old 03-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks alot guys, yall have all been very helpful. I'm going to do the h4's, I'll probably order this weekend.

(I also love a thread with no hate in it. Haha)
Old 04-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Seasoned Member

finally got my new harness from eautoworks, still waiting on the lights.

one question, does this need to be fused at all or just hook it straight up?
it makes no mention of fusing it but i wasnt sure
Old 04-02-2011, 11:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

I've been needing a headlight upgrade (as I'm sure many of you do too) and was looking into hid's but it seems like more than I need for more cost than I would like to spend for the good ones, I'm sure the ebay ones work for some people but I really don't feel like having to possibly worry about something not working out right.

I've seen people upgrade to a non encloses headlight with new h4 bulbs and upgrading wiring.

My questions are what is the advantage to doing this upgrade over just getting some silverstars or something like that? The fully enclosed silverstars are h4's also. Does wiring NEED to be upgraded if upgrading to the non enclosed or is it just helpful?

Sorry for the long post. Any info will be helpful and any links to upgrading headlights without doing hid's would also be helpful. Thanks guys
The Silverstars are H6054 variants - just like you have now. The H6054, H4, and whatever the combination round headlamp is all use the same plug - so that's a non-issue.

Probably the single most useful upgrade you can do is a relay harness - it cuts about 2/3 of the wiring out of the circuit (reducing conductor losses,) eliminates the OEM headlamp switch as a "choke point" for current flow (since DIN relay contacts tend to be rated for 5-6x more current,) and that will also allow you to go with a higher wattage bulb (whether you do so or not is up to you.)

The exception is HID lamps - they tend to draw less current than incandescents, not more.

Merely upgrading to a wiring harness with relays between the battery and headlamps and direct wiring with larger-gage wiring will be a significant help - you'll note an improvement with just that!

The wiring upgrade can be followed with a quality H4 bowl upgrade - I suggest the Hella Vision Plus or Hella "E-Code" bowls (Susquehanna Motorsports - www.rallylights.com,) although any name brand will serve (PIAA, Cibie, et al.) I avoid eBay lighting like the plague - most of it isn't very good, and it's difficult to tell which is which. Lighting, like brakes, falls under "safety devices," and should not be done cheaply! How much is your favourite skin worth to you?

Going to an H4 bowl and H4 bulb will also be an upgrade in and of itself, but it won't be as much of an upgrade as the wiring harness alone, and I do not suggest getting bulbs with greater power requirements than the OEM 55/60W (you can go up to 55/80W on RENIX - but AMC overbuilt...) unless and until you upgrade the wiring - the OEM stuff just isn't up to scratch. Automakers are notoriously cheap.

If you're going to handle this piecewise, do the wiring upgrade first. It's the most benefit for a single mod, and it will be the basis for anything else you do (and allow you so many more options.)
Old 04-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Seasoned Member

Wow, thanks for the great info 5-90. I got my wiring harness in last night and plan on putting it in after work. I noticed there was no fuse in the circuit, do i need to put one in between the battery and lamps?
Old 04-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Registered Users

Wow, thanks for the great info 5-90. I got my wiring harness in last night and plan on putting it in after work. I noticed there was no fuse in the circuit, do i need to put one in between the battery and lamps?
You don't have to but it is highly recommended.

Quick Reply: Headlight Upgrade ??