Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Accessory

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Headlight Accessory

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 4D, 4.0L. The previous Owner installed an LED headlight accessory consisting of blue LED lights that trim the headlights. Just to be cool, i guess. Got pulled over by the Police the other night and was politely told to shut the blue lights off. The problem is, the blue trim lights are on with both the low beams and high beams. They're only off with the parking lights. I told the Officer I would get this corrected as soon as possible. Any other color would've been fine. Why did they pick blue! Anyway, can anyone pass on a wiring diagram for the lighting? I'd like to re-wire the blue lights to shut off with the low and high beams and only come on with the parking lights. I am assuming i can use the same switch to do this. Is that a correct assumption?
Old 05-13-2018, 08:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Can't tell without seeing it really. Sounds like they spliced into the headlight wiring. Better off wiring them to a switch. If they're powered by the parking light power supply then they would still be on when the headlights are, as are the parking lights. Also did they say that the lights are ok to have when the headlights aren't on? Seems to me that they wouldn't be ok anytime when there isn't a real difference whether the headlights are on or not. Also not sure why that is a problem at all in the first place.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,531 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Waynerd
Can't tell without seeing it really. Sounds like they spliced into the headlight wiring. Better off wiring them to a switch. If they're powered by the parking light power supply then they would still be on when the headlights are, as are the parking lights. Also did they say that the lights are ok to have when the headlights aren't on? Seems to me that they wouldn't be ok anytime when there isn't a real difference whether the headlights are on or not. Also not sure why that is a problem at all in the first place.
I read what he asked and didn't have a clue so did not respond. But after what you wrote maybe they used those cheesy clips.

Amazon Amazon

Did it right to the headlight wire.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the insight. I haven't gotten into headlight wiring area yet and when i do will certainly look for signs that they may have spliced it there. When i uncovered the steering column and looked at the switch, i could not tell if there were any added wires coming directly from the switch to the LED accessory lights. The Officer said blue lights are okay, as long as they are not on with the headlights.