Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head unit questions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Head unit questions?

Hi everyone, terribly sorry if I am posting in the correct place. Wasn't exactly sure if this would fall under OEM, or modified. Spent some time using the search feature, but didn't find anything pertaining to my topic as far I could tell.

Anyways, my 95 cherokee sport came with a very basic, and fairly old aftermarket Pioneer head unit. Only has the option for a CD. My ultimate goal is to be able to hook my phone up to play music. So here comes the questions... What head unit would have come with my 95 cherokee, would it have been a cassette for CD? I ask because if it is cassette, I wouldnt mind just buying one of those fake cassette tapes that has the auxillary cord on it and just running that.

On another note, I have noticed lots of head units have some kind of aftermarket plug/harness that you can install that allows you to run an auxillary cord from behind the unit and out the front to plug your ipod/phone into. Is there anything available for ours? And if so which head units/ years would I need?

If none of this is feasible, I am not against just purchasing a new head unit that has MP3 input on it, but figured I would ask. This is my DD and wanted to keep it on the cheaper side, and I do love messing around with things..

Appreciate any help.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Ibanezz
Hi everyone, terribly sorry if I am posting in the correct place. Wasn't exactly sure if this would fall under OEM, or modified. Spent some time using the search feature, but didn't find anything pertaining to my topic as far I could tell.

Anyways, my 95 cherokee sport came with a very basic, and fairly old aftermarket Pioneer head unit. Only has the option for a CD. My ultimate goal is to be able to hook my phone up to play music. So here comes the questions... What head unit would have come with my 95 cherokee, would it have been a cassette for CD? I ask because if it is cassette, I wouldnt mind just buying one of those fake cassette tapes that has the auxillary cord on it and just running that.

On another note, I have noticed lots of head units have some kind of aftermarket plug/harness that you can install that allows you to run an auxillary cord from behind the unit and out the front to plug your ipod/phone into. Is there anything available for ours? And if so which head units/ years would I need?

If none of this is feasible, I am not against just purchasing a new head unit that has MP3 input on it, but figured I would ask. This is my DD and wanted to keep it on the cheaper side, and I do love messing around with things..

Appreciate any help.
The price of aftermarket head units has come down significantly. I would look at one that has the aux inputs you want or Bluetooth. Will be a lot better and won't cost a lot more than a crappy stock cassette player. Depending on the existing head unit, there may be a way to wire in an aux input in the back already. Check out Crutchfield or your local best buy, hell, amazon may have what you need cheap as well.

Last edited by 98XJ40K; 08-30-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:00 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yeah that probably is my best option. I usually have a good chunk of money laying around and wouldn't mind buying a new head unit, but the last month I've been hurting bad in the wallet due to reasons at my job. and not to mention most of my car money goes to my camaro.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:22 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

You can pickup a head unit these days with install kit and harness for less than $150 with all the features you want. Old school car audio junkie from the late 80s and things have come a long way. Spent like $350 myself and ended up with a system that sounds almost as good as. $1000+ system from back in the day.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

All I want in mine is a stock for my 99 AM/FM/CD/Cassette and get rid of the aftermarket one in it.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:43 PM

Well next time I go to the jy I'll keep an eye open for you Fred. What years has the one you want?
Old 08-30-2014, 09:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998

This is the one I have. Front USB input. Auxiliary 3.5mm inpout. Bluetooth. SD card.
It's a great unit that has some good sound shaping features, the SD card feature knows where you left off after stop;ping and starting the Jeep. It has a volume-on option. Works very well with my Nokia Lumia 920 and Lumia 102 phones. I have it paired with Polk db651's in front, Polk db521's in rear, a 400 watt Duel amp under the front passenger seat that pushes a Pioneer 8 inch shallow mount sub in a custom box I built to fit the rear cubby hole.

Amazon.com : Blaupunkt Toronto 420 BT World AM/FM/MW/RDS CD Receiver with iPod/iPhone Direct Control and Built-in Bluetooth : Vehicle Cd Player Receivers : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Blaupunkt Toronto 420 BT World AM/FM/MW/RDS CD Receiver with iPod/iPhone Direct Control and Built-in Bluetooth : Vehicle Cd Player Receivers : Car Electronics
Old 08-31-2014, 08:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5L

I am interested in something like this too since my radio is dead. I am just trying to figure out how to mount these new head units into am 85xj where the radio mounted using the shafts for the volume and tune controls. Those old ones I know how to work with, the new one not so much, has been at least 25 years since I upgraded a car stereo lol.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibanezz
Well next time I go to the jy I'll keep an eye open for you Fred. What years has the one you want?
Thanks man I haven't had any luck so far.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:15 AM

There's plenty of cherokees at the junkyard around me, but they are always missing parts I need haha, specifically the center console lid. But I do recall seeing a bunch of stock head units
Old 08-31-2014, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Thanks man I haven't had any luck so far.
Is this what you are looking for? $40 shipped if you want it? I take Paypal. I live in Utah.
Attached Thumbnails Head unit questions?-image-2636821646.jpg