Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting ready to go from 3" to 4.5-5" , please review my plan...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 08:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0HO
Default Getting ready to go from 3" to 4.5-5" , please review my plan...

I am almost ready to go from 3" to 4.5"-5"

what do you guys think of my plan?

Current Setup

1996 Jeep XJ Sport 4.0HO, Auto, np 231j

Front Rough Country 3" Coils, (measures just under 20 2/3" from hub to fender flare, just over 3" lift)

rear newer stock springs with 3" AAL (measures just over 20" from hub to flare)

track bar: relocated for 3" lift (shifted 3/4")

brake lives: front and rear are relocated

SYE with FIXED yoke (using a stock auto 4.0 D shaft in the rear) and 2(?) degree axle shim

shocks: nearly new JK rubicon shocks

control arms: stock uppers and stock lowers with a 1/4" shim on the bottom

shackles: STOCK

DIY extended swaybar links, with DIY discos

------

what's the plan:

Front: keep my current 3" RC springs and use the 1.75" steel coil spacers that I fabb'ed but never used

rear: keep my AAL and build a custom shackle box that will allow me to use my Rough Country 1-1.5" lift shackles (that I got at the bone yard for $4 in like new condition) while getting BETTER shackle angle and a only around 1.5-2" lift

things to address...

BRAKE lines:I have some GM c1500 front lines, and Dakota rear lines, these are around 6" longer than stock

track bar: I plan to build a stronger higher (maybe an inch) mount that can actually clear... will have to relocate the stabilizer for this...

steering, ZJ pitman arm (drops 1") (only $13 at the bone yard)

SHOCKS: plan to keep my JK Rubicon shocks, on the front I will make a pair of extended bar pin eliminators, for the rear I plan to cut off the axle mounts and move them 2" or so higher (might get new fronts later)

swaybar links: I plan to extend them to the proper length

control arms: I have a like new set of front control arms off a JK Rubicon... I am debating weather to make the upper and lower frame side mounts or just keep it simple and make them fixed (lowers are around 22 5/8" while the uppers are around 19" (might consider extending the uppers, also might eventually upgrade to aftermarket adjustable JK control arms)

the frame side mounts will be welded to the a large piece of 1/4" plate that I am going to weld to the frame...

The good thing about the JK arms is they are WAY longer, they are WAY stronger, they are easy to mod, they have a beefy,bushing that flexes really well... they are simple to lengthen/shorten... I have even seen one guy mod them over to have heim joints instead of the bushings...