Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gearing and wheeling an LP30

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 10:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 01
Model: Cherokee
Default Gearing and wheeling an LP30

Currently I have 3" of lift, and 31's. Plan is to cut fenders and go to 33's after this winter. I really want to put an LSD in rear before the snow falls but that's out of my skill set. So if I'm paying someone to install diff, I'm gonna get gears at the same time. 4.56.

My question is about the front axle. I have an 01 with the low pinion 30. I just put alloy USA ball joints on it last spring and new u joints in the shafts. I've been looking for a hp30 for nearly 6 months with no luck. Junk yarding isn't an option for me and I've had zero luck on Craigslist. I have extremely limited free time to work on the jeep as it is. So with all that said, I'm thinking I'll just regear the lp and be done with it. I don't plan to run 35's ever. And the 1" of ground clearance doesn't bother me a lot either. My jeep sees mostly dd use and mild wheeling to get to the cliffs to climb.

Where can I find a gear kit? Everything I see is for hp30's. Should I search for tj stuff? Don't they run lp from the factory? Is there anything other than the marginal strength factor and the 1" of clearance that I'm not aware of?
Old 09-06-2016, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Rustys Off Road sells complete gear sets for an 8.25/D30 H or L pinion, with master install kits included (a better kit than included with a lot of sets).

They were the cheapest also for Motive gears which were what I wanted having used them for a long time in my race cars and HP Street/Strip cars up to 1500 hp with a transbrake, circle track with 750 hp.

Are you sure that you want a lsd instead of a auto locker? I have driven cars, trucks with Detroits in them as DD's for many years since 1974 no problems and a much better setup for off road.

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 09-06-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993

http://www.rwkhaussupply.com/magento...e-special.html

Best price on gears I've seen, also a forum vendor, as far as strength goes I've heard everything from 15%-45% weaker gears, considering how many tj and zj guys run low pinions with 35"s I doubt it's too bad.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Rustys Off Road sells complete gear sets for an 8.25/D30 H or L pinion, with master install kits included (a better kit than included with a lot of sets).

They were the cheapest also for Motive gears which were what I wanted having used them for a long time in my race cars and HP Street/Strip cars up to 1500 hp with a transbrake, circle track with 750 hp.

Are you sure that you want a lsd instead of a auto locker? I have driven cars, trucks with Detroits in them as DD's for many years since 1974 no problems and a much better setup for off road.

Yeah I'm gonna stay lsd in the rear. It's amazing how much I one wheel peel when it's wet. My wife drives the jeep sometimes in the winter too so that really settles it for me. Trutrac in the back.

Thanks for the response guys.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Comanche

LP30 are not as much of a problem as everyone makes it out to be. The tj lp30 take a different gear set. Make sure you get ones that are compatible with your make and model.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:36 PM

So as luck would have it, 2 days after i make this post, I find a 96 hp30 about an hour away for $150. Contemplating buying it. If he'll take $100 I don't think I can pass.

Couple of questions. What does a CJ style u joint look like. Just so I know for sure I'm getting the 760x joints that are more desirable. I know 96 axle should have these joints but you I'd like to be positive I'm looking at the right thing.

Will the brand new timken hubs I just put on my low pinion swap over to the HP? I seriously doubt I could press out the ball joints I put in without damaging them. Right?
Old 09-08-2016, 10:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993

Originally Posted by CR-Snow
So as luck would have it, 2 days after i make this post, I find a 96 hp30 about an hour away for $150. Contemplating buying it. If he'll take $100 I don't think I can pass.

Couple of questions. What does a CJ style u joint look like. Just so I know for sure I'm getting the 760x joints that are more desirable. I know 96 axle should have these joints but you I'd like to be positive I'm looking at the right thing.

Will the brand new timken hubs I just put on my low pinion swap over to the HP? I seriously doubt I could press out the ball joints I put in without damaging them. Right?
Yeah the unit bearings should be the same, and while you're at it throw on some Wj ball joints so you can run wj knuckles and brakes. At least that's what I'm doing when I find an axle to build.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by kyle96xj
Yeah the unit bearings should be the same, and while you're at it throw on some Wj ball joints so you can run wj knuckles and brakes. At least that's what I'm doing when I find an axle to build.
Cool. Thanks on the hubs.