Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front suspension tests/checks

Old 09-12-2012, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default front suspension tests/checks

Hello Everyone,
I have an 01 XJ with 120,000 miles.
I know death wobble questions have been asked to death but here I go with mine. I can't find any info on actually checking components. I put in a 2" lift with rear shackles, front spacers, new shocks and new steering stabilizer. My deathwobble appeared above 50mph. I researched answers and took it in for alignment and balance. This seemed to help for a month or so but it's starting to come back. I replaced the front brake rotors because sometimes I would get vibration from 50 down to 40mph. I also replaced ball joints as a starting point.
So here's my question, how do you know if a tie rod or trackbar connection is bad enough to replace? Does the failure occur in the taper or in the joint, or both? When the shop aligned they said the front end was solid and didn't recommend anything. Kevinsoffroad.com has a list in order of recommended replacement, if wear isn't visible do I start at the top and work my way down?
Any info is appreciated. Thanks, tim
Old 09-14-2012, 09:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/di...-wobble-55021/
Old 09-14-2012, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

It's hard to stress the components by hand to the same effect that the weight of the vehicle and movement down the road stresses them, I think.. even with a big pry bar.

I've heard that jacking it up so that one tire is still on the ground, and turning the steering wheel could reveal loose components, since there's still stress on the system.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

The ball joints were a good start. If there are still vibes (as opposed to wobble) check the rear shaft for play. If there is some, maybe the u joint is bad. As for the wobble, the track bar bushings need to be tight. So that and pretty much everything else in the front end needs to be checked/tightened.. As for the driveway test, with jeep off, have a buddy jerk the wheel back and forth while you look for movement in the joints/bushings. Also listen for any clunks/pops. Could be wheel bearings are going..? Idk, my two Lincoln's..
Old 09-15-2012, 06:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

If your vibration is really bad check with the front end jacked up shake up and down to see if your bearings are bad ad side to side for tie Rods also push in the top of the tire to reveal a loose upper ball joint or down for the lower ( I know I replaced them just saying for future reference) after that the on the ground test is very good like the post before mine said have somebody in the truck and move the steering wheel if there is a loose component you will find it. FYI check to see if your drive shafts are greasable my buddy had this problem he replaced a lot of front end parts only to find his drive shaft had no grease and ALOOTTTT of play in it
Old 09-26-2012, 06:54 PM

Thanks Steven, my dw is getting worse so I'm starting at the top of most lists and replacing the trackbar first. Thanks, again, tim
Old 09-26-2012, 06:55 PM

Thanks for the info VT. I appreciate the help.