Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front steering / suspension issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front steering / suspension issues

I have a lifted 2001 XJ. I have been having a couple vibrations issues. I have replaced all tie rods, got an adjustable track bar. New steering stabilizer. And while I was replacing all of these things I noticed the lower control arm on passenger side looks pretty damn bent. Lol now a lot of the vibration is gone but around 50-55 it's like the start of a death wobble. Everything I installed is tight and fastened correctly. Could my shake be the lower control arms? Could it be the terrible welds the prior owner did installing the control arms? I just need a couple ideas. I've been dealing with Ford death wobbles for years. (Those are niiiightmares) but this is new. I also have a bad rear trans mount but again, prior owner welded the trans bracket to the frame. I have no idea why. Any suggestions? Thanks guys.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by 01xjHepheep
I have a lifted 2001 XJ. I have been having a couple vibrations issues. I have replaced all tie rods, got an adjustable track bar. New steering stabilizer. And while I was replacing all of these things I noticed the lower control arm on passenger side looks pretty damn bent. Lol now a lot of the vibration is gone but around 50-55 it's like the start of a death wobble. Everything I installed is tight and fastened correctly. Could my shake be the lower control arms? Could it be the terrible welds the prior owner did installing the control arms? I just need a couple ideas. I've been dealing with Ford death wobbles for years. (Those are niiiightmares) but this is new. I also have a bad rear trans mount but again, prior owner welded the trans bracket to the frame. I have no idea why. Any suggestions? Thanks guys.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Please don't drive that. Those welds are scary. I'd suggest you take it into a 4WD shop and have them look at it. If the PO's welds are that bad, I can't imagine his measurements were good on setting that suspension up.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:33 AM

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts
Year: 1998

Sorry about you getting hosed on your purchase. That thing is scary. Best bet would be to take off all control arms, cut off crappy mounts and welded in cross member and go get a new long arm kit that has the arms mounted to the new cross member. X2 PLEASE DON'T DRIVE THAT!
Old 10-03-2016, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by aka"dude"
Sorry about you getting hosed on your purchase. That thing is scary. Best bet would be to take off all control arms, cut off crappy mounts and welded in cross member and go get a new long arm kit that has the arms mounted to the new cross member. X2 PLEASE DON'T DRIVE THAT!
I assumed I would have to reconfigure most of it. I didnt know if they sold a kit for that application or not. What do you guys think of actually cutting out about 10-12 inches of the frame itself and welding in new plate and bungs for the cross member? With the cross member welded like it is, I can't remove the trans mount. So I would still like it to be detachable. Any advice is welcome. I have to drive it this week. 😑😑😑 do you know where I can get new beefy shackles for the frame mount side of the lower control arm? Also is anyone could tell me stock eye to eye of the lower that would be greatly appreciated so I can also figure out my lift size.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:53 PM

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by 01xjHepheep
I assumed I would have to reconfigure most of it. I didnt know if they sold a kit for that application or not. What do you guys think of actually cutting out about 10-12 inches of the frame itself and welding in new plate and bungs for the cross member? With the cross member welded like it is, I can't remove the trans mount. So I would still like it to be detachable. Any advice is welcome. I have to drive it this week. 😑😑😑 do you know where I can get new beefy shackles for the frame mount side of the lower control arm? Also is anyone could tell me stock eye to eye of the lower that would be greatly appreciated so I can also figure out my lift size.
You have mid arm LCA's and Stock UCA's. It just all over bad news bears. For your trans crossmember Ive heard of guys cutting a hole in the floor so you can get a nut or bolt down into the frame and use your stock mounting holes if the factory welded nuts are gone.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:54 PM
CF Veteran

IIRC my stock LCAs measured 15 7/8" eye to eye.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by aka"dude"
4wheel parts and accessories has something along those lines I'm assuming? Also how do I know what lift size they were trying to accomplish? (Trying..) so that I know what kit to buy. I just redid the track bar to an adjustable one and it's the re that goes to 4.5. It's pretty maxed so I would assume 4.5 but I have to take everything with a grain of salt with this damn thing.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:16 AM
CF Veteran

Search the forum for measuring lift height. There are two ways to measure: from the frame to axle and from the wheel flare to the center of the hub. I prefer the flare to hub (assuming flares are in stock location) because you don't have to crawl under the Jeep. I don't remember the numbers for stock height, that's where the search comes in.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't get it why make your own long arm kit and use the oem uppers,And whoever welded on that control arm mount needs to put the welder down now.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:22 AM
CF Veteran

Whoever welded those mounts on needs to PICK UP the welder. And practice, a lot. On scrap.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
I don't get it why make your own long arm kit and use the oem uppers,And whoever welded on that control arm mount needs to put the welder down now.
Hey.. I remember my first beer. Lol
Old 10-05-2016, 02:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

First beer more like first keg lol.Sad truth i have seen way worse welds then that in person.A lot of the mini truck guys buy a welder and built their own backhalf.If you want to be scared s10 forum and search hacked youll see what im talking about.