Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifted steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Lifted steering issue

Hey guys, before I get started I posted in here only due to the Jeep being lifted.

Anyway, while away for about 38 days for work i dropped my Jeep off to replace the steering box while I was gone. It was pretty much toast, and rather rebuild I figured I'd let the local shop do it so itd be ready when i was back. Got back, and my steering wheel is in the 10 o'clock position. Tried adjusting it through the drag link, centered it, and it goes right back to the same position after one turn of driving. I called them and they said they adjusted it the same way, bit clearly it didn't fix it. It is lifted 4.5in, has a crok frame stiffeners, re double shear with brace, and the simple iro tie rod and all new tres. Nothing looks bent, bit is it possible the put the pitman arm wrong or bent the column or stripped spines somewhere? The Jeep drives fine turning completely, it's just off and annoying.

I'm going to hopefully dig into it this weekend, but figured I'd get some opinions here. Did a little searching and only found that something could be bent. Any info would help! Thanks
Old 08-19-2016, 08:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

At the straight-ahead position, do you have the same amount of turns to the left as you do to the right? Post a pic of your front end please
Old 08-19-2016, 08:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

I might not be the best person to answer this but here's my opinion.

First i would check my original receipt and make sure it doesn't have anywhere written on it about the steering wheel being off like that. Then I would check my steering suspension again, make sure everything is tight. Then once that's done i would take it back to the shop and complain about it till they look at it or do something.

When i lived in Virginia i had a shop look at my rear suspension because i was a total noob for pinion angles, and i regret it!! I do everything myself now
Old 08-20-2016, 02:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A alignment will fix your steering wheel not being straight and the shop should have done one after any steering work done like that.Do you have the stock steering linkage on it?