Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front driveline click

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default front driveline click

hello guys, I have a 2001 Cherokee sport it has a 4.5 rough country lift. and it started "clicking in the front end almost right under my feet at low speeds the clicking then turns into a vibration at higher speeds. I thought it was my axle U-joints so replaced them, and it still was doing it. so I then removed my front drive shaft just to see what happened (I felt so lame driving a 2wd the whole afternoon) and guess what no more clicking and vibration, so with that being said, I replaced all three U-joints on the shaft and that centering bearing on the joint going into the transfer case. I re-installed the shaft and again the clicking is back and maybe marginally worse now. so I'm lost and looking for your guys help on this, any ideas or solutions from yalls knowledge or experience. my dad thinks its just doing it because of the angle of the shaft its self. and P.S. I had a really "shady" 1995 jeep Cherokee with spray paint, paint job and mud terrains but I couldn't kill it but it got the nickname The Almighty Heep so I named my account after it but anyways if yall have any solutions for my problem please help!
Old 07-25-2015, 08:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driveline angle or unbalanced shaft. Try lubing up the part of the driveshaft that can slide in and out if you haven't done that. There should be a zerg fitting or a hole for a fitting
Old 07-25-2015, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by InitialForce
Driveline angle or unbalanced shaft. Try lubing up the part of the driveshaft that can slide in and out if you haven't done that. There should be a zerg fitting or a hole for a fitting
Yeah when i replaced the u joints i greased it and i took it to a local shop ans they seem to think its the worn pinion gear in the front ans that makes a little sense because my pinion seal just started leaking itself. But the shop wont be able to fix it as they are booked up but now i have an excuse to throw 1200 in new gears! But at the end of the day i just want the damnn noise gone