Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

---Fox racing shocks for XJ ---

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Arrow ---Fox racing shocks for XJ ---

Hey guys
Any one tried the fox racing shocks on his xj with a different lift kit brand ???

I'm thinking of getting the normal fox shocks 114$

Do you recommend it on the xj ??
What are the best 3" coil springs I should buy with the fox shocks???

For rear is shackles better or leaf springs ???

Last edited by Oman XJ; 12-09-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 227 Likes on 177 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Those shocks with external reservoirs are really only for high speed off-road where the shock moves up and down often and quickly. They're complete overkill for a general wheeling rig.

Many people recommend bilstien shocks, which is what I bought.

You will get 100 different answers about the best springs, you may want to do MUCH more research before buying anything. And by the way, leaf springs and shackles work together, it's not one or the other.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:53 PM

What I did to lift my xj is :
I added 2 leafs behind and changed my stock coil springs to a 3" mercedes springs
With 4 nitro charger shocks and a rough country steering stabilizer

The ride on road is very uncomfortable
Very bumpy
Old 12-09-2014, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99
Those shocks with external reservoirs are really only for high speed off-road where the shock moves up and down often and quickly. They're complete overkill for a general wheeling rig.

Many people recommend bilstien shocks, which is what I bought.

You will get 100 different answers about the best springs, you may want to do MUCH more research before buying anything. And by the way, leaf springs and shackles work together, it's not one or the other.
I heard only good things about bilstein shocks
But I all ready bought the 114$ fox shocks , I'm only looking for a 3" lift
I was searching for about A week for the best 3" coil springs , but till now I couldn't decide

Do I also have to change my stock sway bars???
Old 12-09-2014, 01:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 Liter I6 PowerTech

Add a leafs on worn out springs might be causing your ride to be bumpy. It's recommended to get new leaf spring packs when lifting your XJ. Also, those Mercedes springs might be too stiff for your Jeep. Go with some Rusty's off road 3 inch coils, they have a nice spring rate. And when it comes to shocks, those Fox shocks are totally overkill. I'd go with Bilstein 5100's.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by GreenXJ98
Add a leafs on worn out springs might be causing your ride to be bumpy. It's recommended to get new leaf spring packs when lifting your XJ. Also, those Mercedes springs might be too stiff for your Jeep. Go with some Rusty's off road 3 inch coils, they have a nice spring rate. And when it comes to shocks, those Fox shocks are totally overkill. I'd go with Bilstein 5100's.
Good day to you greenxj

Yes I think that's why I'm getting bumpy ride
I will change the leafs then
I all ready bought the 114$ Fox shocks
Old 12-09-2014, 01:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should've waited to buy shocks until after you set up the new lift. So you can know exactly the lengths of shocks to put on. I would love some of the reservoir shocks, I know its a lil overkill, but a lot of my wheeling is hauling *** through the dessert going to obstacles.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by PurpleToxin505
You should've waited to buy shocks until after you set up the new lift. So you can know exactly the lengths of shocks to put on. I would love some of the reservoir shocks, I know its a lil overkill, but a lot of my wheeling is hauling *** through the dessert going to obstacles.
I'm looking for a 3" lift
That's whay I bought the normal 2-3.5" fox shocks 2.0 series IFP

Will these also be overkill???

Last edited by Oman XJ; 12-09-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:39 PM

Those shocks will probably ride well in the desert and on the dunes. It never hurts to get longer shocks than you think you need, because you'll get more down travel. Check out Rusty's off road for coil springs and leaf springs. You'll also need lower control arms, extended stainless steel brake lines, adjustable track bar, and sway bar links or disconnects. Rubicon Express also makes good lift components, but Rusty's has the best spring rate for 3 inch coils. If you're going to get a heavy bumper and/or winch, get their HD coils, and if you're staying with the stock bumper, get their regular 3 inch coils. http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...ion-lift-kits/
Old 12-09-2014, 01:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

Originally Posted by Oman XJ
I'm looking for a 3" lift
That's whay I bought the normal 2-3.5" fox shocks 2.0 series IFP

Will these also be overkill???
wow. they are only $115 each? that's not bad considering bilsteins are $80 each. still, you've got something that sounds like it's better than all the rest of your suspension combined. these shocks really aren't worth it unless you've got long arms and a lot of other quality components. a problem I'm noticing is it looks like both ends of the shock are eyelet. the body side on the xj takes stem style shocks. you will need to buy a stem eliminator bracket kit right? or is the picture on the website deceiving and they are stem style

still, unless this is your lift kit http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lift-Kits-Je...FYOUfgodjKQAHA
I don't see you making much use of these. and with stock track bar location swing, short arms, poor bump stops, lack of limit straps etc you may actually end up damaging these shocks before you ever get to make any use of them. if you are working up your first build here I suggest some much cheaper shocks until you get a handle on proper set ups (and upgraded suspension to match). I know I sure busted a few cheapos in the beginning. glad they weren't $115 a piece
Old 12-09-2014, 01:49 PM

Those shocks will probably ride well in the desert and on the dunes. It never hurts to get longer shocks than you think you need, because you'll get more down travel. Check out Rusty's off road for coil springs and leaf springs. You'll also need lower control arms, extended stainless steel brake lines, adjustable track bar, and sway bar links or disconnects. Rubicon Express also makes good lift components, but Rusty's has the best spring rate for 3 inch coils. If you're going to get a heavy bumper and/or winch, get their HD coils, and if you're staying with the stock bumper, get their regular 3 inch coils. http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...ion-lift-kits/
I don't know how to thank you greenxj!
You helped a lot

Looks like that I have a lot of work ahead
Old 12-09-2014, 01:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

Those shocks will probably ride well in the desert and on the dunes. It never hurts to get longer shocks than you think you need, because you'll get more down travel.
hmmm they might ride well for about 30-50min. but the 2.0's wont last very long at all. they will fade fast and I'm convinced the only reason they even bother to produce them is because people see that they are cheaper than the 2.5's. the 2.0 wont last very long hammer bashing through a bumpy trail either. expect to need to change the fluid in 2.0's often if you plan on playing go-fast

and yes it does hurt to get longer shocks. longer shocks mean longer body which means less up travel which leaves you bottoming out like a ****. not fun! buying shocks should be the last step in suspension, not the first
Old 12-09-2014, 01:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Atmos
wow. they are only $115 each? that's not bad considering bilsteins are $80 each. still, you've got something that sounds like it's better than all the rest of your suspension combined. these shocks really aren't worth it unless you've got long arms and a lot of other quality components. a problem I'm noticing is it looks like both ends of the shock are eyelet. the body side on the xj takes stem style shocks. you will need to buy a stem eliminator bracket kit right? or is the picture on the website deceiving and they are stem style

still, unless this is your lift kit http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lift-Kits-Je...FYOUfgodjKQAHA
I don't see you making much use of these. and with stock track bar location swing, short arms, poor bump stops, lack of limit straps etc you may actually end up damaging these shocks before you ever get to make any use of them. if you are working up your first build here I suggest some much cheaper shocks until you get a handle on proper set ups (and upgraded suspension to match). I know I sure busted a few cheapos in the beginning. glad they weren't $115 a piece
IDK, you make it sound like it would be a terrible idea to run them. They will ride nicer when dessert running and if he has stock LCAs he wont over extend them. I personally looking at trying the Doetsch 8000 pre runner shocks. But like I said I tend to do a bit of high speed dessert running. I really like the integrated bump stops also. If I like the 8000s Ill try the HV-1s

Last edited by PurpleToxin505; 12-09-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:55 PM

No problem! If there is a good shop around you that does a lot of work on 4x4 and off road vehicles, I would check them out for real detailed info and exact parts that you should order. It's a never ending process building a Jeep, but it sure is fun.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Atmos
hmmm they might ride well for about 30-50min. but the 2.0's wont last very long at all. they will fade fast and I'm convinced the only reason they even bother to produce them is because people see that they are cheaper than the 2.5's. the 2.0 wont last very long hammer bashing through a bumpy trail either. expect to need to change the fluid in 2.0's often if you plan on playing go-fast

and yes it does hurt to get longer shocks. longer shocks mean longer body which means less up travel which leaves you bottoming out like a ****. not fun! buying shocks should be the last step in suspension, not the first
My bad. I'm not very familiar with the Fox shocks, so I didn't know. And by longer shocks, I kinda meant if the shocks said they go up to 3.5 inches, but you have a 3 inch lift, they'll probably be fine.

Quick Reply: ---Fox racing shocks for XJ ---