Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fitting Liberty KJ brake lines on XJ 8.25, what is the correct size?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 01:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Fitting Liberty KJ brake lines on XJ 8.25, what is the correct size?

I'm still in the process of piecing together all the stuff I need and the calipers / soft lines are giving me an headache.

I've read in some threads that Jeep changed from imperial to metric, so the factory XJ 3/8 brake line fittings should not fit inside the KJ soft hose. Once I was aware of this, I looked online and now I'm puzzled and would need help figuring this out.

On RockAuto, the Dorman soft lines have sizes listed, and so does Napa on their website. I also cross-checked on Dorman's website and it's the same info. Here are the sizes :

Rear left :

End 1 Fitting Material Treated Steel
End 1 Type/Size of Fitting Banjo - 0.38
End 2 Fitting Material Treated Steel
End 2 Type/Size of Fitting Female - 3/8"-24
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....944&cc=1420805

Rear right

End 1 Fitting Material Treated Steel
End 1 Type/Size of Fitting Banjo - 10 mm
End 2 Fitting Material Treated Steel
End 2 Type/Size of Fitting Female - 3/8"-24
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....509&cc=1420805

On top of that, both Centric calipers listed on RockAuto say the inlet port size is 3/8

Rear right:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....sn=383&jsn=383

Rear left :
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....sn=382&jsn=382

What am I supposed to understand from this? The rear right hose states it uses a 10mm banjo bolt, while the other says 0.38 (from what I gather this is equivalent to 3/8). But both calipers state inlet port size as 3/8. I do not want to order and return in case it is wrong. Any idea? Could I simply get 2 of the same hose listed at 0.38 (rear left)?

Thanks

Last edited by Cane; 08-05-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I used 2003 KJ calipers and 98 Grand Cherokee soft lines and did not have an issue.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:11 PM

To be exact...

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....420805&jsn=377

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....315953&jsn=486

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....315953&jsn=489

Went to the dealer and got new over the axle hard lines for the year and rear end of my 99 XJ.

Over the axle soft line for year and axle as well.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....431776&jsn=598
Old 08-05-2016, 02:22 PM
CF Veteran

thanks for the links. i remember you mentionned the kit and now by looking at the prices napa gave me and ordering everything apart on Rockauto, your kit seems the cheapest.

are the calipers already loaded with hardware? edit: nevermind I read the whole thing and it does include them, that's a really good deal...

so if I get all this right, the center hose is 3/8 all around, your over the axle hard brake lines have 3/8 fittings, both caliper soft lines will have a female 3/8 to fit the hard lines, and finally the banjo bolt from the ZJ soft line will fit the caliper? If all that is right, then I'll go with those instead of KJ lines, a lot simpler.

thanks a bunch again for all the info.

Last edited by Cane; 08-05-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:02 PM

Yup, I bought everything linked and everything fit nicely.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997

Every time I think I understand all the little details necessary for the rear disc conversion, I'm informed of yet another weird potential hangup. It seems like there are a bazillion ways to approach this conversion, and I've never found a simple, comprehensive "These are the different ways to do it and exactly EVERYTHING you need in order to do each approach" post.

ZJ brakes, KJ brakes, XJ parking brake cables, ZJ cables, some other cable, reroute parking brake cables this way, reroute them that way, hard lines, soft lines, size conversions, route brake lines this way, route them that way, to swap proportioning valve or not (if so, to use a ZJ prop valve or a different specific one or to modify the XJ one), old wheel studs, new wheel studs.

This community has distilled so many things down the precision parts lists and comprehensive write-ups, but the rear disc conversion still sometimes feels like piecing together a National Treasure puzzle hunting down multiple posts from multiple sources to get the full picture.

Last edited by mschi772; 08-05-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:08 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by mschi772
Every time I think I understand all the little details necessary for the rear disc conversion, I'm informed of yet another weird potential hangup. It seems like there are a bazillion ways to approach this conversion, and I've never found a simple, comprehensive "These are the different ways to do it and exactly EVERYTHING you need in order to do each approach" post.

ZJ brakes, KJ brakes, XJ parking brake cables, ZJ cables, some other cable, reroute parking brake cables this way, reroute them that way, hard lines, soft lines, size conversions, route brake lines this way, route them that way, to swap proportioning valve or not (if so, to use a ZJ prop valve or a different specific one or to modify the XJ one), old wheel studs, new wheel studs.

This community has distilled so many things down the precision parts lists and comprehensive write-ups, but the rear disc conversion still sometimes feels like piecing together a National Treasure puzzle hunting down multiple posts from multiple sources to get the full picture.
LOL. You're correct.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:13 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

2000 S10 soft lines work perfectly.

As does the 200? Dakota soft line to the axle.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:23 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jhc7399
Yup, I bought everything linked and everything fit nicely.
alright last thing, what type of flaring do I need? double flare?

the pre-flared lines my parts store carry were available in both double or bubble flare, but the 3/8 fittings were only on the standard brake lines. the bubble ones were 10mm

the ones I got look like this : http://image.customclassictrucks.com...tubing_nut.jpg

Originally Posted by mschi772

yep this sums up my last week of looking into this. for some reason there is always something that comes up when you think you understand it all.

Originally Posted by Jeep Driver
2000 S10 soft lines work perfectly.

As does the 200? Dakota soft line to the axle.
noted, I will go with what suggested by jhc7399 since he's running this exact setup with good results, but if they give me trouble I'll look into the s10 ones.

Last edited by Cane; 08-05-2016 at 09:26 PM.