Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F & R Hidden Hitch Winch Set-Up

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 08:29 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default F & R Hidden Hitch Winch Set-Up

On my other Jeep (yj) I have a winch mounted on the front and the winch stays on it 24-7-365

With my current build I wanted the capabilty to be able to add the winch front or rear, its not always we need to winch forward, I think in my case I have needed to go backwards more than forward when in a "Ut Oh" moment.

My buddies have also set their rigs up this way so if needed we can swap out winches if needed in case of a failure or other reason..

Next will be runnibg the power cables in the front ...for the rear I plan to use a 25ft cable with wuick disconnects that I carry inside and pull it out only when needed.

With this set up I also liek the fact that I have the weight off the vehicle when not in use...No need for it on while being used as a DD

Last edited by Jrozar; 01-30-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I like it. Its nice to not have lug it around while DDing.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

One thing you really need to consider with that type of winch setup is with the design. With it the pull needs to be in a straight line not on an angle a hitch was never designed for that type of load angle. Also consider the size of wire needed for the run to the rear for that load and voltage drop.

Just FYI

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 01-30-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:26 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

All good points and all already considered..

Running 1awg, 800 amp rated to the rear...I have a Ramsey 8000k, 160 amp alternator with a optima yellow top, could you do the math and see if I will have enough power? And if I use one pully what reduction will that provide free the draw on the electrical system.

I've always wanted a straight line pull but for some reason when I get stuck it never seems to provide me with that option, I always consider pullies and various other engineering factors.

Ever do a reverse pull under the vehicle with a front mounted winch? Talk about a no front line pull....or an side rolled up hill with the nose down pull...talk about geometry....

I almost always add a pully when I can..

Another good point to consider is how do most people get pulled out that don't have winches? Where do they get attached to? Or the good old ****** strap talk about shock loading an attach point.

At the end of the day I'm sure it will work for what I'm doing...

Could you also point me to where it says it's bad to use a winch cradle...

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
One thing you really need to consider with that type of winch setup is with the design. With it the pull needs to be in a straight line not on an angle a hitch was never designed for that type of load angle. Also consider the size of wire needed for the run to the rear for that load and voltage drop.

Just FYI

Last edited by Jrozar; 01-30-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

No if you feel you will most likely never use it will be just fine and if you see no problems with mounting it must be a good idea.

BTW I have winched all of the ways you listed and many more I'm sure that you never thought of as I recovered a lot of different cars, trucks, SUV's over the years. Heck I still think a Hi-Lift jack is a very useful tool with most winch jobs, but I'm still learning.