Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust and Sound System Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6 OHV
Default Exhaust and Sound System Question

Hey, Just 2 Quick Questions, Do mufflers help at all or just go and get a Cat-Back. 2) Best sound system for the rear sound bar, Dont really care about the front 2. I Just like my bass without getting a Sub. Also when you sit in the back seat with the volume around 60% I can barely hear the actual music because of poor bass quality or because the sound bar vibrates, they both sound the same and want to fix it. Is this for everyone on stock speakers. With that said, Best speakers for sound bar? With good bass? Im ordering a new pioneer headunit soon. Oh and one more sorry, i heard a aftermarket head unit alone imroves sound quality? Thanks, Rob
Old 11-30-2011, 10:48 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by scruffythewild
Hey, Just 2 Quick Questions, Do mufflers help at all or just go and get a Cat-Back. 2) Best sound system for the rear sound bar, Dont really care about the front 2. I Just like my bass without getting a Sub. Also when you sit in the back seat with the volume around 60% I can barely hear the actual music because of poor bass quality or because the sound bar vibrates, they both sound the same and want to fix it. Is this for everyone on stock speakers. With that said, Best speakers for sound bar? With good bass? Im ordering a new pioneer headunit soon. Oh and one more sorry, i heard a aftermarket head unit alone imroves sound quality? Thanks, Rob
An HU could help slightly, but honestly with 6.5" speakers you won't get much bass unless you get a midrange driver, then you have to get an amp, etc, etc. and it just becomes hectic.

As far as the muffler question, what are you looking to get out of your jeep? Good mileage? Will you need to pass an emissions test?
Old 11-30-2011, 10:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: l6 4.0

I did only a magma flow exhaust and it made a big difference. Sounds good and felt a little more power.

Get a subwoofer and new speakers. Find out why ur sound bar is rattling.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by arorton
An HU could help slightly, but honestly with 6.5" speakers you won't get much bass unless you get a midrange driver, then you have to get an amp, etc, etc. and it just becomes hectic.

As far as the muffler question, what are you looking to get out of your jeep? Good mileage? Will you need to pass an emissions test?
Im new to sound systems and just want to keep it simple and relatively cheap. Just want alittle bit better base. Im not getting an amp and sub, Too much work and $. Thx though and about the muffler yea i have emmisions and mpg would be nice but its not a goal. Im just looking for a better tip honestly snd just A LITTLE bit more aggresive sound. I would love better mpg but its a jeep. I would go all out catback bc of the improved mpg but spending 600$ on a catback for 2 mpg better isnt worth it. Dont really care about speed. I will put on a CAI though. Thanks for the help Rob. Also should i just pay 50 and get a ebay muffler/ tip? I really like the tip of the magnaflow though like this :http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnaflow-15...#ht_5003wt_952
Old 11-30-2011, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gatchmo5710
I did only a magma flow exhaust and it made a big difference. Sounds good and felt a little more power.

Get a subwoofer and new speakers. Find out why ur sound bar is rattling.
What did u pay for the magnaflow? I found one for 500$ on ebay, too much
$ for me
Old 12-01-2011, 12:02 AM

Honestly, I got a dynamax superturbo muffler, new cat, and it came with a similar tip to the magnaflow you're looking at.. $75 to get a muffler to get legal was def worth it.

As I said, you won't get "bass" persay from 6.5" speakers.. I have MTX midrange drivers in mine, but I have an amp. Without an amp your sound really won't improve by much.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:40 AM

Honestly, I got a dynamax superturbo muffler, new cat, and it came with a similar tip to the magnaflow you're looking at.. $75 to get a muffler to get legal was def worth it.

As I said, you won't get "bass" persay from 6.5" speakers.. I have MTX midrange drivers in mine, but I have an amp. Without an amp your sound really won't improve by much.
Do you have a link and what do you mean yours was illegal bccuz of no muffler? That sucks. How much would a Lower level-mid range amp cost about and would i be affective without a sub? I dont want to take up the space with it. Still with the 6.5" Speakers. Also when i get speakers, do i just get 6.5" ones or just for a cherokee?
Old 12-01-2011, 07:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: Renix 4.0

Originally Posted by scruffythewild
Do you have a link and what do you mean yours was illegal bccuz of no muffler? That sucks. How much would a Lower level-mid range amp cost about and would i be affective without a sub? I dont want to take up the space with it. Still with the 6.5" Speakers. Also when i get speakers, do i just get 6.5" ones or just for a cherokee?
Try a set of 6x9s. Mine really brought my system together. I also thought the same thig about the sub. Then I got one and can't live with out it now I'm building a different box that takes up "unusable" space behind the back seat.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:41 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

You don't need to change your stock tailpipe as long as is isn't kinked, rottting or bent so severely at the factory that the exhaust can't breathe. Just get a high-flow cat and muffler of your choice (magnaflow, flowmaster, thrush, dynamax, gibson or the like) that fits.

X2! There are nice headunits out there, but an auxiliary amp worth its capacitors will easily outdrive it with richer and fuller sound.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:47 AM
Seasoned Member

We just came up with a new line of mids, right now we only have the prototypes
they come in 6.5s, 8s, and 10s
I just put some in my rear sound bar and doing my doors next.
These mids have GREAT midbass and GREAT vocals not the loud crappy audio sounding mids lol

im running mine off of H/U power as for the moment a couple of people wanted to hear what they sounded like without a amp....

Ill post up specs for them in 5 minutes... As soon as our new labels are in we can start shipping out our models....
Old 12-01-2011, 07:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Geared to have more midbass than a PA, but get decently loud. More natural sounding.

Poly cone. Rubber surround. Stamped baskets. Simple, clean, effective.

6.5 -- 75w .... 8ohm .... 60-8k hz $25 each
Overall diameter: 6.5"
Cutout: 5 5/8"
Mounting depth: 3 1/8"
Sensitivity: 85db

8 -- 80w ..... 8ohm .... 40-5k hz $35 each
Overall diameter: 8"
Cutout: 7 3/8"
Mounting depth: 3 1/2"

10 -- 100w .... 8ohm .... 35-3k hz $45 each
Overall diameter: 10"
Cutout: 9 5/16"
Mounting depth: 4 1/8"
Sensitivity: 87db
Old 12-01-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by stereodesigner
Geared to have more midbass than a PA, but get decently loud. More natural sounding.

Any pictures of the 6.5"?
Old 12-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

http://performance-curve.com/84-01ch...ailpipe-1.aspx

Just ordered that exhaust best bang for your buck
Old 12-01-2011, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by BrofessorXJ
http://performance-curve.com/84-01ch...ailpipe-1.aspx

Just ordered that exhaust best bang for your buck
Damn thats cheap, it looks like a catback but its too cheap right? Tell me im wrong and ill get you a cookie. Well not really haha.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by stereodesigner

Would only the 6.5" fit in the cherokee w/ no mods? At that price i could do all 4 stock locations. Also how expensive is the amp u guys were talking about b4 like the mdx or mtx...?

Quick Reply: Exhaust and Sound System Question