Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Electric Fan Setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 01:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: big 6
Default Dual Electric Fan Setup

Is there a specific size dual fan setup from another car that is ideal on an xj radiator?

Heres my plan.. I want to remove the mechanical fan completely and do away with it. next i want to either add another fan that will fit perfect in the area the belt driven fan was, OR! i can remove both factory fans (belt driven and electric) and replace them with either 2 of the same size fan from another type of car or one of the dual fan things that are also found in some cars and trucks. I DO NOT WANT TO BUY A FANCY AFTER MARKET SETUP. Ideally id like to pluck one from the junkyard.

Both fans will most likely be on a switch setup. that way i can have one on for normal driving conditions and then when im wheeling i can turn the secondary fan on. and even better maybe run with both fans off during those wonderful winter mornings when the outside temp is under 10 degrees. Until it gets to proper temp of course..

So again, is there a specific car or truck that has a good size i should go with to end up with 2 electric fans that fit my radiator, preferably in a single drop in 2 fan shroud thing ?

Thanks for the help
Old 07-08-2012, 01:59 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

try http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoTaurusFanInstall1.htm
Old 07-08-2012, 02:13 AM
Seasoned Member

You tha man thanks! and luckily i believe my local Junk Yard has a few taurus's laying around. good info though!
Old 07-08-2012, 05:44 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

You're welcome
Old 07-08-2012, 07:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get yourself a 97+ up stock AC fan and mount it next to your other one. Shroud up the areas that aren't covered and you're good. You'll need to pull the studs from the fan clutch pulley and replace with regular bolts. Run seperate relay's and you use the same belt. I've been running this set up for 2 years. I can turn on one, turn both on, turn both off or have the computer still turn on the original stock on that's in there now when needed. Got the idea from desert runner XJ's. I've heard good and bad about the Taurus fans. I've seen lots of guys have electrical issues because they have a heavy amp draw. That's not to say they didn't wire something correctly either though. I almost did that but I couldn't see the point of putting a huge fan in there just to have 1/4 of it not being used because it hangs below the radiator. The stock AC fans are the matched size for the rad. And you're right, when it's cold outside, it is SO nice when there is no fan noise. You'll also notice the Jeep will have a little extra pep off the line too due to less drag on the motor.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Seasoned Member

No idea why it never occurred to me to get another stock ac fan but that is most likely what i will go with. When you live in the mountains you encounter all sorts of different reasons for dual electric fans. The pep would be a big plus on these steep roads, not to mention im get out run by 4cyl toyotas at the moment due to a transmission solenoid issue lol. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2012, 11:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

The taurus fan pulls more air than the stock AC fan...
Old 07-08-2012, 12:27 PM

On paper yes it does pull more air. Point being 2 stockers are adequate to do the job with less impact on the electrical system. I don't see why putting in a larger fan that gets 30-40% blocked is a good idea. The extra stock AC fan is a lot easier to install too.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:59 PM

I did this with 3 small fans (Zirgo 9in) that fit on the radiator only. It's more fancy than junk yard stuff, but it's not as fancy as the FF dynamics triple threat system. I can post some pictures if you're interested in it.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:38 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by classicxj2000
I did this with 3 small fans (Zirgo 9in) that fit on the radiator only. It's more fancy than junk yard stuff, but it's not as fancy as the FF dynamics triple threat system. I can post some pictures if you're interested in it.
I'd like to see some pics if you can
Old 07-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Seasoned Member

oddly enough i found a fan laying around that i must have acquired while i had my old cherokee.. so i removed the pully driven one, put the nuts back on and then threw in the electric one. now the problem i have is the studs and nuts on the pully bump my fan some. my question now is, do those 4 nuts and studs hold this pully on? at a close look there is some kind of pin in the center of the pully that im guessing it could be pressed on. so if this is the case or whats holding it on then can i remove the 4 studs for clearance?

If i cant remove them im going to have to find another slimmer fan, or reinstall the old crappy one. my guess is this fan is off an older model cherokee. i may be able to swap the 2 electric fans to opposite sides that way the slimmer of the 2 will be in front of the pully but id rather just remove the studs and ditch them if i can get by with that.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Driftunit
oddly enough i found a fan laying around that i must have acquired while i had my old cherokee.. so i removed the pully driven one, put the nuts back on and then threw in the electric one. now the problem i have is the studs and nuts on the pully bump my fan some. my question now is, do those 4 nuts and studs hold this pully on? at a close look there is some kind of pin in the center of the pully that im guessing it could be pressed on. so if this is the case or whats holding it on then can i remove the 4 studs for clearance?

If i cant remove them im going to have to find another slimmer fan, or reinstall the old crappy one. my guess is this fan is off an older model cherokee. i may be able to swap the 2 electric fans to opposite sides that way the slimmer of the 2 will be in front of the pully but id rather just remove the studs and ditch them if i can get by with that.
You must have missed the part about the bolts in my post #5

As far as the fans go, the general consensus is, is that it will work with the 1997 and up fans only because they have more blades than the old ones and are rated for a higher CFM. I never tried it with the old style fans. Didn't see a need if other people tried it already and it failed.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Lol yes, must have missed it. i put the nuts on then trimmed of the excess with a grinder and it still bumps. if i use a bolt itll have to have a slim head. i may just do away with the pully all together and get a shorter belt. from what ive read itll involve some trimming in some areas for the new route but that shouldnt be hard.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Driftunit
Lol yes, must have missed it. i put the nuts on then trimmed of the excess with a grinder and it still bumps. if i use a bolt itll have to have a slim head. i may just do away with the pully all together and get a shorter belt. from what ive read itll involve some trimming in some areas for the new route but that shouldnt be hard.

That's one I haven't tried yet with eliminating that pulley. Mine is a 99 and I noticed the bump once too. It was because my motor mounts and trans mount were no good. It hit the bolt heads because the motor jumped when accelerating. Changed the mounts and it didn't hit anymore. Our years should be the exact same clearance and set up unless you had a front end collision that wasn't done exact to spec like stock. Double check your mounts 1st. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:58 AM
Seasoned Member

No collision, its most likely the mounts as well. the older fan looks to be about an inch thicker which only gave me about an inch of clearance from the studs to begin with. I knew the engine was going to move some but i figured it would be more from side to side and not forward. ill put up some pics tomorrow of my situation and then ill post some of my solution.

Another issue im deallin with is the sorry wiring job the PO did on the first fan switch. the wires always got hot if i left it on long enough, so i figured they might have been to small. After i checked them out i noticed the ground was prob about half the size of the positive and they were run directly to the battery without a fuse of any kind, so correct me if im wrong but wouldnt that result in the hot wires? if you are going to have 2 that are a different size would it not be best to have your ground the bigger of the 2? I have 3 or 4 different things hooked up and its resulted in a small mess of wires. The PO was not an electrician by any means. Cleaning all that up and making some sort of switch panel for lights, and each fan will be next on my to do list.

Quick Reply: Dual Electric Fan Setup