Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive shaft protection.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 01:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drive shaft protection.

What do you do?

Can you add an outer sleeve ?

Is there a drive shaft skid plate you can buy?

I have a ton of droop and I caught my drive shaft on a log and snapped it like a tooth pick. Even if I was running a full skid it would have ended the same.

Thanks

Name:  IMG_20130407_180011_952_zps3fd4d215.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  54.3 KB
Old 04-13-2013, 01:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

have it retubed with a much thicker tubing. a buddy of mine cut both ends off the shaft and found a piece of tube laying around. measured up, cut the tube, and welded the ends on by eye. came out great no vibes or anything weird. they make pinion skids but honestly I'd hunch that your axle twists up good and harshens the angle even more. what leafs, perches, shackle setup are you running again? I'd tackle my axle wrap and see how another stock shaft holds up

Last edited by Atmos; 04-13-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wat.
the.

That is ridiculous.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:21 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Atmos
have it retubed with a much thicker tubing. a buddy of mine cut both ends off the shaft and found a piece of tube laying around. measured up, cut the tube, and welded the ends on by eye. came out great no vibes or anything weird. they make pinion skids but honestly I'd hunch that your axle twists up good and harshens the angle even more. what leafs, perches, shackle setup are you running again? I'd tackle my axle wrap and see how another stock shaft holds up
Thanks. I know I have some axle wrap. I tried to eliminate most of it by offseting the longer leafs to the front.

But I may bolt on some axle wrap leafs.

Thing is I like doing break overs, and the driveshaft always hits. Almost in the exact middle. So a pinion skid would not help my problem any. I may look into some beefy tubing. Stock is like a tin can. LOL
Old 04-13-2013, 07:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

if you're landing on the driveshaft too much you need to figure out another fix besides sleeving the driveshaft. you kinda want the driveshaft to fail first instead of the tcase tailshaft housing.

an antiwrap bar setup close to the center housing will protect the driveshaft and stabilize your "questionable" leaf spring mods
Old 04-13-2013, 07:37 PM
CF Veteran

getting an sye and setting up your pinion angle properly for the double cardon will also help move the driveshaft up
Old 04-13-2013, 08:06 PM
CF Veteran

I have been running my "questionable" set up for about a year now. Through some pretty rough stuff. So the "question" has been answered

I have my diff angled up a little. Problem is I have a lot of droop. So the drive shaft is the only thing exposed before my tires hit.

You right on the tranny output. I would much rather have the drive shaft break first. I suppose I could always carry a spare? They are cheap and light to carry.

I have looked and looked on the center diff anti wrap set ups. And so far I have not seen a design that did not affect travel, and work against your flex outside of the lower leaf ones. But then you have those things hanging down.

I may go with an upper thick leaf faced to the rear only. This would help anti wrap, be out of the way, and would not fight your articulation.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2013, 08:15 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by holycaveman
I have been running my "questionable" set up for about a year now. Through some pretty rough stuff. So the "question" has been answered

I have my diff angled up a little. Problem is I have a lot of droop. So the drive shaft is the only thing exposed before my tires hit.

I have looked and looked on the center diff anti wrap set ups. And so far I have not seen a design that did not affect travel, and work against your flex outside of the lower leaf ones. But then you have those things hanging down.

Thanks
well, an SYE will only help move the driveshaft out of the way.

and look a little through this thread, most of these ideas allow tons of flex. im not talking about your standard bubba truck ladder bars.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...tion-bars.html
Old 04-13-2013, 08:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by N20jeep

and look a little through this thread, most of these ideas allow tons of flex. im not talking about your standard bubba truck ladder bars.
Come on you know MOST people on this forum are not ready for Pirate they can barley handle the concept of needing to regear for oversized tires .
Old 04-13-2013, 08:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
Come on you know MOST people on this forum are not ready for Pirate they can barley handle the concept of needing to regear for oversized tires .

I have a ton of droop
Problem is I have a lot of droop
come on man did you come here for actual help or did you just come to brag about your mad crazy dang bro flex. at some point you're going to have to sacrifice travel for some reliability here. full traction bar, antiwrap perches, overload leaf, SYE, all of the above or start carrying spares. pick one
Old 04-13-2013, 09:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989

Holy crap..... this **** again?
Old 04-13-2013, 09:40 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Atmos

come on man did you come here for actual help or did you just come to brag about your mad crazy dang bro flex. at some point you're going to have to sacrifice travel for some reliability here. full traction bar, antiwrap perches, overload leaf, SYE, all of the above or start carrying spares. pick one

I never get mad at my flex? LOL

I do not see how an sye will help at all?

And how will less anti wrap help my drive shaft from breaking in the middle? When I broke it I was not on the gas, the rear tires were not on the ground.

Not drama, just questions and answers
Old 04-13-2013, 09:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

Just carry spares
Old 04-13-2013, 09:53 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by N20jeep

Thanks for the link. There is one set up a guy had on the link where there were 3 pivots and a slider. That actually looked like the ticket.

Last edited by holycaveman; 04-13-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:40 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by wiggles
Just carry spares
Probably the easiest option so far

Quick Reply: Drive shaft protection.