Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Draglink on top of pitman arm?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L H.O.
Default Draglink on top of pitman arm?

Ok, this is going to sound crazy. So please, bare with me....

I just purchased a T&T customs track bar bracket and adjustable track bar. All of my steering joints are beyond worn out, and im looking to upgrade. I have my eye on a Froehlich crossover steering kit http://froehlichsuspension.3dcartsto...e-XJ_p_11.html

The T&T bracket drops the track bar 2'', and the Froehlich steering raises the draglink 3'' to be more level. This could, and probably will result in a good bit of bumpsteer. So! instead of have the draglink on the bottom side of the pitman arm, why not run in on top? this could get the draglink high enough to match the trackbar angle, but also could result in some odd clearance issues.

Someone is going to suggest an over ther axle trackbar bracket i know. but I already bought the track bar, and dont have the resources to weld as of now.

Any useful help would be appreciated
Old 02-21-2013, 06:42 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

That doesn't sound right... What you want to do is raise the axle end of the track bar 1" instead.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 91XJMudMan
So! instead of have the draglink on the bottom side of the pitman arm, why not run in on top? t
Does the word "Massive binding when the passenger wheel droops." mean anything?
Old 02-21-2013, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
Does the word "Massive binding when the passenger wheel droops." mean anything?
Thats a big word! lol yes that is one thing I am concerned about, but with Hiems and high misalignment spacers it might work
Old 02-21-2013, 10:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

there's probably a pitman arm out there somewhere that'll give you that 1" or so to make things line up properly. i would get the steering and track bar installed, then just see where you are at and measure what you need at the pitman arm to adjust for that difference. you may end up needing a flatter pitman arm.

Last edited by hankthetank; 02-21-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by hankthetank
there's probably a pitman arm out there somewhere that'll give you that 1" or so to make things line up properly. i would get the steering and track bar installed, then just see where you are at and measure what you need at the pitman arm to adjust for that difference.
I am planning to see what it all looks like when installed and see how it goes from there. I just wanted some other opinions. I never thought of getting a shorter pitman arm. That would take a good bit of research to find

Is there really any harm in trying out the draglink on top? The kit makes you drill out the holes to straight 5/8, then it uses heims with misalignment spacers. So flipping it around would be a quick, and simple task. The only problem i could see happening is the draglink contacting the pitman when the passenger side droops or maybe the heim being on top could contact the frame?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:55 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990

not a shorter arm, a flatter arm. there are eleventy-two hundred combinations of pitman arms out there. you would keep the eye to eye distance the same but decrease the drop. (if thats what you need). on the other hand, the only way to know if having it on top would work is to just try it. some people make their own arms with double shear joints on the end too. or modify a factory one.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:50 AM

Im not sure if this would be too flat, but its pretty sweet!!
http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo....ductid=STK2530

Its almost $300!! but its a double shear pitman arm, ready for use with 5/8'' hiems, will bolt on, and is "twisted", as they call it, to compensate for suspension travel
Old 02-22-2013, 01:38 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Year: 1998

I have honestly never looked into doing this. Usually you just get a flat pitman arm from a Wagoneer when guys have clearance problems when running true high steer on a low COG rig. You might look into that.

The heim joint and misalignment spacer assembly is 2" tall. Then figure about 3/8" for bolt head clearance. Take a look and see if there is enough room between the steering box body and top of the pitman arm to clear the setup when running over the pitman arm.

Kris Froehlich
Old 02-22-2013, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lead Foot
I have honestly never looked into doing this. Usually you just get a flat pitman arm from a Wagoneer when guys have clearance problems when running true high steer on a low COG rig. You might look into that.

The heim joint and misalignment spacer assembly is 2" tall. Then figure about 3/8" for bolt head clearance. Take a look and see if there is enough room between the steering box body and top of the pitman arm to clear the setup when running over the pitman arm.

Kris Froehlich
YOURE EXACTLY WHO I WAS HOPING WOULD COMMENT ON HERE!!!!

I would go out to my rig and take some measurements, but im currently deployed I will be home in a month or so and would like to have a solution for this before I get home.

I am in love with your crossover steering, I just want to try to make it work with the T&T track bar, and stock axleside mount for a while.

BTW, I sent you a PM about shipping