Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't need a whole roof rack just for spare tire.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I-6
Default Don't need a whole roof rack just for spare tire.

Hi guys,

So I want to get my spare tire put up on my roof. I don't want to just strap it on, and I don't want the weight of the tire resting on the sheet metal of my roof.

What I'm looking for is some kind of mount that utilizes either the gutters or factory rails (not the crossbars, but the rails), and is made strictly to mount a tire on it, and nothing else.

The problem is, all I can find is full-on roof racks, with spare tire mounts built in, or with spare tire attachments available. This is really overkill for what I want, and far more expensive than I'm willing to pay just to get a spare on the roof.

Does anyone know of a simpler mount available like what I'm describing?

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2015, 12:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Custom build what you want, that way after putting a spare up there a few times and the flat covered with mud/snow/ice you will want a swing out tire carrier bumper.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

Have you looked at the one from Kevin's Off Road? I had one for a little while before I destroyed it. I made a thread about it:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/ke...arrier-179028/
Old 05-15-2015, 09:50 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Several companies make them but unless your spare is on the small side it's a pain putting up there and make you more top heavy. If it's a trail vehicle it adds to your height and the few times I had one up there it caught on every low hanging branch I got near.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:00 PM

Year: 1989

Thus is the swing out on my zj. Spare tire is up top on the rack. I figure I'll be getting in the ice chest more often then changing tires and need the room inside for the dogs. . Not much for low branches out here in the desert and when we do get into low trees. We just power through. Lol I don't mind the tire on top. It does lean quite a bit without sway bars. But you get used to it and adjust your driving style. .

Last edited by DBMETALWORX; 05-15-2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:17 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by DBMETALWORX

Thus is the swing out on my zj. Spare tire is up top on the rack. I figure I'll be getting in the ice chest more often then changing tires and need the room inside for the dogs. . Not much for low branches out here in the desert and when we do get into low trees. We just power through. Lol I don't mind the tire on top. It does lean quite a bit without sway bars. But you get used to it and adjust your driving style. .
I've made some comments on other threads you've posted in, but don't think I've said this: NICE WORK! Everything you've posted pics of is original, and looks beef. Carry on good sir.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:46 PM

Year: 1989

Originally Posted by roninofako
I've made some comments on other threads you've posted in, but don't think I've said this: NICE WORK! Everything you've posted pics of is original, and looks beef. Carry on good sir.
Thank you.. You can check out our facebook page for more stuff., if you'd like. theres a link in my sig. It's more up to date than the website.. lol
Old 05-16-2015, 10:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree nice quality work on all the items I've saw you post up lately, very nice.

I live in the Ozark Mountains and wheel most of the time in the Mark Twain National Forest 100's of miles of trails. The spare in my roof rack was hard to replace most of all for me as I'm rather puny 6'5", 325# fighting that damned thing back up there and that was only my 33x12L50x15's now also run 35's all on steel wheels. Its just a 3" lift then but 3 yrs ago I ripped a sidewall out on a sharp flat rock under the mud on a trail. Winched out and changed rear tires. I'm ashamed to say it took me over 30 min. to get that tire back on the roof rack and I looked like a hog from head to toe, no $hit.

Then I bought a rear bumper/tire carrier swing-out, tires are still messy but easier to mount/dismount for an old man.

I'm going to check out your sight for a few items.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

I had the rock ratz one for along time. I think they are now out of business. I am only 5'10/215 but it was never that big of a problem for me to get the tire on and off. It did smack itself on some trees though. I wanted the space for my backpacks/kayacks, etc. so I now have a swing out carrier- you still have to pick the tire up... I guess its the difference of shoulder pressing vs. curling it that gives people problems. I had a 35" up there but like I said, not really an issue for me. The "weight up top" factor is negligible. Its less than 100lbs. Throw some sliders on and you'll more than make up for it. I would almost think that with how high the swing outs mount anyways and all the extra metal, its probably pretty close to even. I noticed no difference between the two and Ive been in quite a few hairy/off camber situations with both.

The tire carrier bumpers are not perfect either... the add alot of weight and if you have one with any kind of gas can/cooler/hi-lift etc, they impact your departure angle more than you would expect. At 6.5" and 35s, I hit mine quite a bit. Thankfully its adjustable but I have to put it nearly all the way up to where it blocks almost my entire window on some trails to avoid dragging/banging it. On top of that, they are expensive to buy and have to be thought out well If you have the skills/equipment to build one.

Last edited by Ianf406; 05-16-2015 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1994...mostly...
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO, Lot's of Bolt Ons

If all you want to do is fit the tire on the roof and you have the factory roof rack:

1) Slide them both all the way to the back
2) Space them apart to equally distribute the weight of the tire.
3) Use a piece of flat bar on the underside and a long bolt to secure it.

It's cheap and it works if your on a budget.
I had a friend do this using a lawn mower blade and some all threaded rod.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by Desertfox1023
If all you want to do is fit the tire on the roof and you have the factory roof rack: 1) Slide them both all the way to the back 2) Space them apart to equally distribute the weight of the tire. 3) Use a piece of flat bar on the underside and a long bolt to secure it. It's cheap and it works if your on a budget. I had a friend do this using a lawn mower blade and some all threaded rod.
i have kindorf(channel strut) being used as a
Roof rock for my shovel and light bar. Its bolted to the underside of stock rails and then i have a piece going width wise as well for stability. Seems as strong as the stock roof rack will allow it to be.

And i forgot the name but they do sell a bracket that goes gutter to gutter and uses the stock rails to balance the weight of the tire. Plus you can lock it in place. It has a bolt sticking through the middle