Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need an SYE

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 cylinder
Default Do I need an SYE

Okay guys. So I have an 89 with the straight 6, aw4 tranny, and the np231 t-case. I'm about to get the metalcloak 3.5" lift for my old girl, and I wanted to ask you guys something before I did and started on it.

Do I need and SYE for this project?

On MC's website it notes that one is needed. I wanted to know if this was true, and if so what SYE would you recommend?

I'm not looking to cut into my old girl just in case I botch something, and end up having to buy new parts to get me right back where I started.

Thanks in advance guys. You've always been a big help when it came to projects for me.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:24 PM

For that size lift you'd be fine with just transfer case drops which are a lot cheaper I'd imagine.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

You can get by with a tcase drop, but it is just a temporary fix. If you can afford it do the sye. If not do the drop until you can afford the sye.

A transfer case drop may help the rear shaft, but at the same time it raises the front shaft angle as well as putting more stress on the engine and trans mounts.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I'd just go with the sye right off the bat. I regret ever doing a tcase drop.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by SatiricalHen
I'd just go with the sye right off the bat. I regret ever doing a tcase drop.
Why do you regret doing one?
Old 11-10-2015, 10:34 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by richardsondj
Why do you regret doing one?
Spent $20 that I didn't have to (buying it). Couldn't make it over a pipe garden because the crossmember hit because it was lowered. Puts strain on mounts, tilts the engine at a funky angle, after taking my drop off my jeep seemed to run better and make less noises (maybe just a coincidence), the tcase drop didn't fully fix my problem ( driveshaft would still bind pulling my trailer up my driveway because of axle wrap), made my exhaust hang down lower and ripped it off because it got caught going over the top of a hill, there's more but I think that's enough reasons why.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:36 PM

Spent $20 that I didn't have to (buying it). Couldn't make it over a pipe garden because the crossmember hit because it was lowered. Puts strain on mounts, tilts the engine at a funky angle, after taking my drop off my jeep seemed to run better and make less noises (maybe just a coincidence) the tcase drop didn't fully fix my problem ( driveshaft would still bind pulling my trailer up my driveway because of axle wrap), made my exhaust hang down lower and ripped it off because it got caught going over the top of a hill, there's more but I think that's enough reasons why.
That's some bad luck sorry man.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:38 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by richardsondj
That's some bad luck sorry man.
I got it fixed now with an AA sye and a zj front driveshaft. Live and learn. Next time I'm going to make it over the pipe garden.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:41 PM

I got it fixed now with an AA sye and a zj front driveshaft. Live and learn. Next time I'm going to make it over the pipe garden.
That's good to hear good luck on that pipe garden!
Old 11-10-2015, 10:53 PM
kgm
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99

My slip yoke double cardan shaft has been kicking butt for 2 years now. It isn't a full 'slip yoke eliminator' design but it eliminated my vibes (with shimming the driveline, of course)
Old 11-11-2015, 10:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

An SYE is "NEVER" not a good idea everything else is a Band-Aid for it. When you do I suggest a new custom driveshaft (bought mine for $199). Because by the time you buy a used front DS and have it rebuilt with larger U-Joints, etc. it comes out about the same or more.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

you can probably get by with just dropping the t-case some until you get the cash to do the sye. thats what i did. took 90% of the vibrations out of it. i'll still do a sye when i save the money to do it but it atleast lets me use the jeep in the mean time. and unless you wheel hard core you may never even need the sye in reality.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Advance Adaptor SYE. Not that expensive and pretty simple to install. Use a front driveshaft for a temp while you save for a custom built one. You'll never have to worry about vibes and that puts one more thing out of your mind to worry about.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:54 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by brendancfarrell
Advance Adaptor SYE. Not that expensive and pretty simple to install. Use a front driveshaft for a temp while you save for a custom built one. You'll never have to worry about vibes and that puts one more thing out of your mind to worry about.
X2 love mine. Was under $200 for the kit I think. And then like $30 for a driveshaft.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

At 3.5 inches, I would install the lift THEN see if you need it. My XJ has a 6.5 lift with the stock driveshaft & barely any vibration.
Just got it back from having a guy do the H&T & now it sounds like I have ball bearings rolling around in the t case & rear end. Oh yeah, I forget to add, NOW I have vibrations.
I hope it's the JY d shaft he put in.

Quick Reply: Do I need an SYE