Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

diff cover issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 10:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999.
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0, I6
Default diff cover issues

so i replaced my stock diff covers (D30/8.25) with some blue torch fab diff covers and iv been running into issue after issue in the process trying to get them not to leak. i finally got the front one sealed too perfection now the rear wont stop leaking like a civ. its leaking fromt the bottom center bolt of the diff to basically the top right one of my diff when your standing behind the jeep looking at my diff. (so top right pass side) anyways its a pain in the a$$ too keep draining my diff taking the cover off cleaning it and reapplying the blue goo to the cover n then letting it cure (this has been the biggest issue either putting it on too soon before its done curing or putting it on too late so its overly cured? if that makes sense) that was biggest issue with the front too but like i said that one we finally got sealed after only two tries. anyways what other options are there if any to fully seal this without removing the cover time n time again. can i just apply the blue goo too where the cover meets the back side of the pumkin sealing off all cracks? will this be sufficiant or no? the leak is minimal i must say esp when jeep is parked. (puddle maybe size of my fist in diameter) but after driving and turning the jeep off it leaks more steadily. this is causing me too think the heat is whats causing the leak? pardon me if what im saying makes no sense or is just plain dumb this is first time iv done any work too my axles n diff so im learning as i go. thanks!!!
Old 11-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: flux capacitor

Go get a $5 gasket for it then smear a minimal amount (just cover the paper) black rtv on both sides of the gasket. I always us a gasket in favor of silicon for the simple fact that its a helluva lot easier to clean the surface if you ever have to remove that part again
Old 11-27-2011, 11:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I had the same problem with getting my aftermarket covers to seal. I finally bought some Lubelocker differential gaskets. After using the gaskets, I will never go back to RTV.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:06 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

first off a few questions. how are you cleaning the surface? scrapping with a razor blade? got to remove all of the old sealer, be **** as this is the most important step IMO. what is the blue goo? lol I assume its blue RTV?

I would clean both surfaces. use a cleaner like brake clean to wipe off both surfaces after cleaning. if you don't have any a little gas works too (what I use on the trail) wipe it off with cleaner and then wipe it dry. coat the surface with RTV/Silicon gasket maker, then stick it on and bolt it down (no need to wait) Then let it cure on the diff. since your having issues with it leaking I would let it cure on the diff without fluid in it. so wait to fill after the "recommended" time on the bottle. Also tighten in a cross pattern to evenly suck down the cover to the diff, not always needed but helps. good luck!

I like RTV better then gaskets lol
Old 11-27-2011, 11:07 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 L

Take it back off and wire wheel the heck out of the diff cover where your going to rtv it.Clean off the rtv on the diff itself also and clean with brake cleaner.Use some black rtv and maybe use more than you have been using.I let mine set about 5 min then stick it on and finger tighten every bolt.Wait about another 5-10 min and tighten it all up going in a cross pattern as you go.Never had one leak around the cover.I also put a lil rtv on the fill plug also.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:08 AM
Seasoned Member

I'd go to parts store and grab some one minute permatex gasket maker. Put in on dif and bolt cover on and fill it up. No cure time needed. Used this on mine a few months back and not one single drop has leaked out.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:12 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Gorillaxj
first off a few questions. how are you cleaning the surface? scrapping with a razor blade? got to remove all of the old sealer, be **** as this is the most important step IMO. what is the blue goo? lol I assume its blue RTV?

I would clean both surfaces. use a cleaner like brake clean to wipe off both surfaces after cleaning. if you don't have any a little gas works too (what I use on the trail) wipe it off with cleaner and then wipe it dry. coat the surface with RTV/Silicon gasket maker, then stick it on and bolt it down (no need to wait) Then let it cure on the diff. since your having issues with it leaking I would let it cure on the diff without fluid in it. so wait to fill after the "recommended" time on the bottle. Also tighten in a cross pattern to evenly suck down the cover to the diff, not always needed but helps. good luck!

I like RTV better then gaskets lol
yes blue goo is rtv couldnt think of the name when posting so thanks. and too clean it i use a razor blade too get all the rtv off then a wire brush and or file too get any extra crud off it then finish filing everything down so its a perfectly smooth n even surface again all while using brake cleaner too do so. i then apply the rtv too the diff cover let it sit on n cure. when we first tried on my front diff we let it cure for a few hours n it leaked when we put it on. second time for the front it sat over night then when installed it sealed perfectly. the rear we applied rtv n let it sit for a few days bc of weather and working scheduals, didnt leak when first installed. started too after i drove it. it leaks most right after i drive it why i thought heat was cause. but when it sits in driveway its such a minimal leak.

THIS IS MY BIGGEST QUESTION: before i look into gaskets or reapplying the rtv i wanna know if there is anyway or anything i can do to stop the leak without draining the fluid n removing the diff cover again? if not then i will take everyones advice and clean it like everyone has stated n then most likely try out a gasket see how that works for me. but i would really rather not havta take the cover off again if i dont havta.

also when i called advanced auto they said the gaskets have to be ordered directly from the manufactuor? this true? if not where can i get them and what size per say? again sorry learning as i go.

thanks for the help though everyone!!!!

Last edited by clayton3854; 11-27-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:44 AM
CF Veteran

it all sounds good but I have never let ANY RTV/silicon based sealer set up for longer then 5-10 minuets before installing, normally just spread it and slap it on right after, then bolt it all up and clean up everything get the fluid ready and pour it in, only setup time is cleaning up lol

There is no good way to seal it while its on. you want a good bond or it will run dry over time. "leak" additives to stop leaks are not good for anything really. they clog things up and can contaminate the fluid just by adding it to the system.

I am not sure on the gaskets as I don't like to use them but i am sure someone knows.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:52 AM
CF Veteran

thanks looks like tuesday thats what ill be doing. what gasket should i ask for when going to an auto parts store since when i called they said i had to go through manufactorer? also is it safe to drive the jeep like this in meantime? at most a few days like i said weather permitting gonna do it tuesday.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: flux capacitor

Id just get a stock diff cover gasket and coat it with rtv. Lube lockers are nice but good luck finding one on the shelf and they are basically a gasket with a silicone seal aroud it from what i can tell are $$ and honestly if its leaking very bad i wouldnt drive it. If you trash a pinion bearing your really in a mess
Old 11-27-2011, 11:59 AM
CF Veteran

the gasket should just be the factory gasket for the diff. if you go to a dealer they can look up the parts based on your vin#. but I would just get "the right stuff" its a black RTV that works very well.

I want to say yes your ok for a little bit, but it really depends on how bad its leaking and the fluid level. if it goes low or empty it can ruin your pinion bearings and carrier bearings let alone the gears them self's. sooner the better.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:01 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Gorillaxj
the gasket should just be the factory gasket for the diff. if you go to a dealer they can look up the parts based on your vin#. but I would just get "the right stuff" its a black RTV that works very well.

I want to say yes your ok for a little bit, but it really depends on how bad its leaking and the fluid level. if it goes low or empty it can ruin your pinion bearings and carrier bearings let alone the gears them self's. sooner the better.
right, i should have worded that better, long as i keep the fluid level adequate i should have no issues driving it for the time being?
Old 11-27-2011, 02:31 PM
CF Veteran

well i bit the bullet and decided screw it no point in trying to cut corners here i should do it the right way. so i went out n got a gasket and some atv and more gear oil and im gonna attempt to redo it again on tuesday. thanks for all the help.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0ho

used orange sealer. got it right the first time.

blue rtv has its place, on the shelf in the store. I don't use it for anything. Black or orange, and used per application.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:19 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Permetex Ultra black RTV from Napa is awesome. As mentioned before, make sure both surfaces are super clean, I run a bead around the cover, tighten the bolts barely finger tight and give it about an hour and torque them down and add the juice. I've never had a leak doing it that way and the bottom of my diff covers are both pretty bent up. I just thought I'd throw up another option.

Last edited by Desert Rat; 11-27-2011 at 03:21 PM.

Quick Reply: diff cover issues